FAQ: How did you survive the puppy teething phase?

Draco the Frenchie

Reaction score
Roughly at what age does the puppy bite stage usually stop/gets better? My pup is a complete terror. There has been time that I don't even want to play or do anything with him because all he does is bite and nip at me and everyone else. It's getting really frustrating.

Julie Stevenson

Reaction score
Roughly at what age does the puppy bite stage usually stop/gets better? My pup is a complete terror. There has been time that I don't even want to play or do anything with him because all he does is bite and nip at me and everyone else. It's getting really frustrating.

Hang in there. Puppies grow up quickly and before you know it they will be full grown and you will miss the puppy stage. In response to your question, every puppy is different and it depends on how diligent you are with training and redirecting behavior. The more consistent you are the faster the puppy will learn. I have had pups learn and stop biting at the age of 12 weeks and some NEVER out grow it if they are not given rules and boundaries to live by.

Be consistent with your training. When Draco bites at your hands ALWAYS grab a toy and pay with that. NEVER play with him with your hands or allow his mouth on your hands. It should always be a strict NO when that happens and then grab a toy and play with that. Encourage that behavior. It will take time. Also be sure everyone in the house is on the same page with training. My biggest challenge with most families is that one or two people understand but then the kids or (sorry guys) the husbands want to play rough with them with their hands and the dogs get confused on what is ok and what is not. Consistency is the key to all training.

blushy

Reaction score
Hang in there. Puppies grow up quickly and before you know it they will be full grown and you will miss the puppy stage. In response to your question, every puppy is different and it depends on how diligent you are with training and redirecting behavior. The more consistent you are the faster the puppy will learn. I have had pups learn and stop biting at the age of 12 weeks and some NEVER out grow it if they are not given rules and boundaries to live by.

Be consistent with your training. When Draco bites at your hands ALWAYS grab a toy and pay with that. NEVER play with him with your hands or allow his mouth on your hands. It should always be a strict NO when that happens and then grab a toy and play with that. Encourage that behavior. It will take time. Also be sure everyone in the house is on the same page with training. My biggest challenge with most families is that one or two people understand but then the kids or (sorry guys) the husbands want to play rough with them with their hands and the dogs get confused on what is ok and what is not. Consistency is the key to all training.

This! All the way!

Nellie

Reaction score
I always used frozen potatoes, i have never had any problems with theething puppies chewing on me or any thing else.

MunasG

Reaction score
I always used frozen potatoes, i have never had any problems with theething puppies chewing on me or any thing else.

lucky you! i only survived using bitter apple spray. Before that it was a struggle lol

Stef

Reaction score
Toby was a nightmare. He destroyed our skirting boards, shoes and bed. We just had to wait until he stopped teething :(