FAQ: What do you feed your Frenchie?

Romeoandco

Reaction score
I feed Romeo tollden farms raw food. It comes in frozen patties. We are currently doing turkey and botanicals.

d1mitrov

Reaction score
So Fromm is no longer on chewy, what do you guys think about taste of the wild and blue buffalo?

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
So Fromm is no longer on chewy, what do you guys think about taste of the wild and blue buffalo?

TOTW has had quite a few recalls so I would stay away from them. Same might be true for B.B.

If you go on Fromm website, there is a list of places you can order from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FrancinesDaddies

Reaction score
I have owned my French Bulldog Francine for only two weeks and she has taken me and my Maltese Theodore on a food rollercoaster! Theodore was on wellness small breed since we added him to our family and it was a good food, but I wasn't totally convinced he was loving it. When we brought Francine home I thought this would be the perfect time to switch foods in my home. I am currently using Stella&Chewy's freeze-dried and raw coated chicken recipe. Both dogs are loving the flavor which fixed the issue I was having with Theodore, but we have an entirely different problem with Francine. I am not sure if this started when we brought her home or if she was doing this when she was with the breeder, but she has been eating her stool. I have done some research and think the Stella&Chewy's may be too nutrient rich for her to digest fully. I went back to my local pet shop which specializes in healthy alternatives for dogs and cats and they suggested an alternative which is FirstMate Chicken Meal with Blueberries for small breeds. both dogs likes the flavor, but definitely not as much as they like the S&C. Have any of you guys used either one of these foods? What have you guys done in the case of stool eating?

This is my first post on this forum and I am sorry for the long post!

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
I have owned my French Bulldog Francine for only two weeks and she has taken me and my Maltese Theodore on a food rollercoaster! Theodore was on wellness small breed since we added him to our family and it was a good food, but I wasn't totally convinced he was loving it. When we brought Francine home I thought this would be the perfect time to switch foods in my home. I am currently using Stella&Chewy's freeze-dried and raw coated chicken recipe. Both dogs are loving the flavor which fixed the issue I was having with Theodore, but we have an entirely different problem with Francine. I am not sure if this started when we brought her home or if she was doing this when she was with the breeder, but she has been eating her stool. I have done some research and think the Stella&Chewy's may be too nutrient rich for her to digest fully. I went back to my local pet shop which specializes in healthy alternatives for dogs and cats and they suggested an alternative which is FirstMate Chicken Meal with Blueberries for small breeds. both dogs likes the flavor, but definitely not as much as they like the S&C. Have any of you guys used either one of these foods? What have you guys done in the case of stool eating?

This is my first post on this forum and I am sorry for the long post!

Try switching her to frozen raw food- eg. if she weighs 30 pounds.to save money, buy 2 pound frozen chubs of it, semi thaw it for about 7-8 hours in fridge, cut each chub into 6 pieces, and then refreeze in ziplock bags. Put 2 ziplock bags per day in fridge and let it totally thaw in fridge. You can add a little bit of warm filtered water to each piece to make a nice stew, eg. 1/2 cup water. I also add a bit of coconut oil, turmeric, kelp and Acti-flex 4000 to the stew, but that's optional.

Try deworming dog - eg. Drontal Plus ( needs Rx )

Suggestions I've heard of but haven't tried:
Add Adolph's meat tenderizer to dog's food
Add canned pumpkin ( not the pie filling one ) to dog's food
Add a few chunks of pineapple to dog's food
Coat poop in yard with hot sauce
Pick up poops promptly
Correct dog when you catch him in the act- leash correction or shake can

Frenchie Grrrl

Reaction score
How old is Francine?
Where is she eating the poop (crate, inside, outside, all the above?)

Depending on age, it could easily be a learned behavior thing, and nothing to do with diet, BUT I do think it's always wise to look at nutrition. I'm not familiar with FreshMate, but I switched from S&C to a different brand of frozen raw because I'm not a fan of HPP (high pressure processing), which S&C uses.

I would find a quality digestive enzyme and pre/probiotics to add, in case there is a deficiency going on. Regardless, they are just good in general for gut health. You could do it through a supplement or food.

I'm not a fan of randomly giving wormers, although, I may be in the minority. I'd rather boost their immunity, so they can naturally fight off parasites, or in the very least, confirm the presence of worms first. I'm assuming you haven't seen any other symptoms?

Frenchie007

Reaction score
Hey there I'm a new frenchie owner and just wondering what is the best recommended kibble for a 10 week old? He's on royal cannine puppy right now but it doesn't seem to agree with him as he is going to the washroom quite a bit and it is not very solid. Just looking for some advice or recommendations. Thank you

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey there I'm a new frenchie owner and just wondering what is the best recommended kibble for a 10 week old? He's on royal cannine puppy right now but it doesn't seem to agree with him as he is going to the washroom quite a bit and it is not very solid. Just looking for some advice or recommendations. Thank you

Look into puppy formula for any of these

Fromm
Zingature
Orijen
Acana
Earthborn Holistic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frenchie007

Reaction score
When would you recommend giving him this? Or would you use it as a meal replacement?

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
When would you recommend giving him this? Or would you use it as a meal replacement?

It is usually recommended to do a gradual change over a 7-10 day period when switching food to avoid tummy upset. However, if he's already going to the bathroom a lot and it's not solid, you can potentially just switch over now. Royal Canin is not a very good food.

Frenchie007

Reaction score
Picked up a bag of nutrience healthy puppy is this just as bad? I could not find the Fromm puppy gold which I saw a lot of people recommend

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
Picked up a bag of nutrience healthy puppy is this just as bad? I could not find the Fromm puppy gold which I saw a lot of people recommend

It's a good product, but I don't think it's grain free, so you may want to switch next time to a grain free product, since a lot of bulldogs have grain allergies. You don't need a puppy formula, any all stages food will be ok as well.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score

It gets a 4 star rating on dogfoodadvisor.com (which is a good resource for you to have). As stated, you don't have to stick to a puppy food. A lot of brands have all life stage formula and you can even switch between flavors.

FrancinesDaddies

Reaction score
How old is Francine?
Where is she eating the poop (crate, inside, outside, all the above?)

Depending on age, it could easily be a learned behavior thing, and nothing to do with diet, BUT I do think it's always wise to look at nutrition. I'm not familiar with FreshMate, but I switched from S&C to a different brand of frozen raw because I'm not a fan of HPP (high pressure processing), which S&C uses.

I would find a quality digestive enzyme and pre/probiotics to add, in case there is a deficiency going on. Regardless, they are just good in general for gut health. You could do it through a supplement or food.

I'm not a fan of randomly giving wormers, although, I may be in the minority. I'd rather boost their immunity, so they can naturally fight off parasites, or in the very least, confirm the presence of worms first. I'm assuming you haven't seen any other symptoms?

I have seen her eat her stool in all of those situations. On dogfoodadvisor.com S&C got 5 stars. The kibble I use is baked rather than extruded, but I am open to other suggestions. She is 11 weeks old so I am not sure if this occurred when she was with the breeder. She has thrown up a few times, but she is a rowdy pup and I think will water log herself and then she throws up. I have not started any Pro/Prebiotics are there any that you recommend?

Frenchie Grrrl

Reaction score
I have seen her eat her stool in all of those situations. On dogfoodadvisor.com S&C got 5 stars. The kibble I use is baked rather than extruded, but I am open to other suggestions. She is 11 weeks old so I am not sure if this occurred when she was with the breeder. She has thrown up a few times, but she is a rowdy pup and I think will water log herself and then she throws up. I have not started any Pro/Prebiotics are there any that you recommend?

Yeah, I know it's a good brand. Just a personal choice for me to avoid HPP.

I currently use Adored Beast products because I bought the Leaky Gut Protocol kit, but I'm sure other people can recommend products too. I also give Gus fermented goats milk from Answers. I've also used their cow's milk kefir and their food is among those that I rotate in Gus' diet. All their products are fermented, so its great for digestive health.

All that being said, the poop eating could easily be a behavior thing that she will grow out of.

FrancinesDaddies

Reaction score
Yeah, I know it's a good brand. Just a personal choice for me to avoid HPP.

I currently use Adored Beast products because I bought the Leaky Gut Protocol kit, but I'm sure other people can recommend products too. I also give Gus fermented goats milk from Answers. I've also used their cow's milk kefir and their food is among those that I rotate in Gus' diet. All their products are fermented, so its great for digestive health.

All that being said, the poop eating could easily be a behavior thing that she will grow out of.

Yeah I am thinking she has an intolerance to poultry based food. I went and got a sample of the Fromm beef frittata. Hopefully this helps her upset tummy! Thank you so much for your feed back I feel like Iโ€™ve been wandering aimlessly coming up with new possibilities ๐Ÿคฆ*โ™‚๏ธ

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
Yeah I am thinking she has an intolerance to poultry based food. I went and got a sample of the Fromm beef frittata. Hopefully this helps her upset tummy! Thank you so much for your feed back I feel like Iโ€™ve been wandering aimlessly coming up with new possibilities ��*โ™‚๏ธ

Try switching her to grain free non chicken dehydrated raw eg. Honest Kitchen or Grandma Lucy's. If she does better then consider eventually switching her to frozen raw which is even healthier but less convenient.

๐Ÿ†• Latest posts