Flea & tick and heart worm meds

tonytones

Reaction score
[MENTION=728]turbodave[/MENTION] there is plenty on the net, just Google it. To me it's not worth my babies lives giving this poison to them waiting on scientific data. I have friends who have lost some beautiful bullies to this drug, plus I see it on the net and on facebook all the time of peoples bullies and Frenchies getting sick and some dying from it. We give ours Sentinel only and have never had a problem with it, even our pups.

hi dave! hope all is well, my girlfriend thought it will be better for chowder to be on sentinel (spectrum oral) rather than revolution topical.

Do you give your dogs the sentinel (spectrum oral) as well? thanks!

Tgirl

Reaction score
I don't understand why my posts show up several times. I didn't edit it. ??

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
[MENTION=697]tonytones[/MENTION] We have never really had a problem with Tapeworms, so we just give the regular Sentinel.

Jakeyjake

Reaction score
I don't use anything on my dogs. I bathe them 1 - 2x week because they have allergies. They have never had fleas.

jellyfish

Reaction score
We use DE around the house, but I didn't have any luck with it treating fleas on either my cat or my dog. I'd been using Frontline, but found that it didn't seem to do much this season in Ohio, so I switched to Advantage (not Advantix) and haven't had any issues. I use Heartgard for the heart worms. I think it depends on your situation, too. With Advantage and Frontline, you have the ability to reapply after two weeks (Advantage says you can reapply after one week, if necessary), so I like that flexibility if it's required. With the two-in-one deals, you're locked in to giving once a month, but you may never have a need to reapply more than that. I have to set a google reminder to reapply the topical, so it might be nice to just give it once and be done with it.

If you aren't using Advantix or Frontline Plus, what are you using for ticks? I live in Ohio too and I'm going to want something for fleas and ticks. In the past (with other dogs), I've used Advatnix and Heartguard, covering for fleas, ticks and heartworms. Never had a flea, tick or heartworm issue. I like the idea of Sentinel but it doesn't cover for ticks so I'm not sure what I'd do for ticks.

KimB3384

Reaction score
If you aren't using Advantix or Frontline Plus, what are you using for ticks? I live in Ohio too and I'm going to want something for fleas and ticks. In the past (with other dogs), I've used Advatnix and Heartguard, covering for fleas, ticks and heartworms. Never had a flea, tick or heartworm issue. I like the idea of Sentinel but it doesn't cover for ticks so I'm not sure what I'd do for ticks.

At some point in time last year I found out that both dog versions of Advantage and Frontline were super duper toxic to cats and we still had a cat, so I made a switch to Nexgard for fleas and ticks. I figured since she was on Heartgard for heartworms and tolerated it well, I'd give it a shot and see what happened. So far, so good. I like that she thinks she's getting a treat. Like it's a Flintstone vitamin or something.

KimB3384

Reaction score
That's what appealed to me, too. But I haven't grown brave enough to ingest it myself. It did a killer job on fleas in the carpet though, so it will always hold a special place in my heart.

Nu2frenchie

Reaction score
At some point in time last year I found out that both dog versions of Advantage and Frontline were super duper toxic to cats and we still had a cat, so I made a switch to Nexgard for fleas and ticks. I figured since she was on Heartgard for heartworms and tolerated it well, I'd give it a shot and see what happened. So far, so good. I like that she thinks she's getting a treat. Like it's a Flintstone vitamin or something.

We just started our dogs on Nexgard today. How do you like this? Ticks have been horrible here. I see your in Coshocton Co so not far from me have you had an issue with ticks this Year. Had one on the dog the other day!!! It suppose to be winter.

We use food grade DE for dusting the livestock and using in their bedding areas. Helps with mites and livestock lice. Swear by this stuff!!

KimB3384

Reaction score
We just started our dogs on Nexgard today. How do you like this? Ticks have been horrible here. I see your in Coshocton Co so not far from me have you had an issue with ticks this Year. Had one on the dog the other day!!! It suppose to be winter.

We use food grade DE for dusting the livestock and using in their bedding areas. Helps with mites and livestock lice. Swear by this stuff!!

I'm really pleased with it. We do daycare a couple of times a week and all dogs are *supposed* to be on regular flea treatments, but a couple of weeks ago I was told that one of the dogs showed up with fleas. We never had any issues as a result, so that makes me happy and think the stuff works. I don't really know how it does with ticks because she hasn't been in any environment where she'd be exposed, but d00d is a big trail runner and has come home with one on him a few times. It's more preventative and for my peace of mind than anything.

I haven't had to use the DE since the Great Flea Infestation of 2014, but it was a lifesaver. I gave some to my mom for her dogs when they got worms and she gave it two thumbs up, so I'll always have it on hand.

Gianna627

Reaction score
glad i found this thread... a previous vet had put my frenchie on Trifexis... but after all I heard and saw about it I changed her to Sentinel spectrum. So glad to see so much feed back on here, It really is very helpful.
thanks

Squishy Walnuts

Reaction score
That's what appealed to me, too. But I haven't grown brave enough to ingest it myself. It did a killer job on fleas in the carpet though, so it will always hold a special place in my heart.

I just wanted to update that I have been taking a tsp of DE twice a day but I haven't given it to my dogs yet. I'm not sure how much to feed them so I will do some further research. We had to take Uma to the vet yesterday to get her eye checked out (she's had surgery so she gets it checked very few years) and the vet was really pushing me to put her on tick meds as ticks are getting worse in my area but I stood my ground. I don't walk my dogs in the woods or go to a dog park so I don't think it's necessary to put chemicals on them.

jellyfish

Reaction score
Is anyone using Interceptor for heartworm? We just switched vets and they do not carry Advantix or Sentinel so we switched to Nexguard and Interceptor. My new vet seemed very confident that the dogs will do well on the new products but I read through this thread and no one mentioned Interceptor.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

KimB3384

Reaction score
I just wanted to update that I have been taking a tsp of DE twice a day but I haven't given it to my dogs yet. I'm not sure how much to feed them so I will do some further research. We had to take Uma to the vet yesterday to get her eye checked out (she's had surgery so she gets it checked very few years) and the vet was really pushing me to put her on tick meds as ticks are getting worse in my area but I stood my ground. I don't walk my dogs in the woods or go to a dog park so I don't think it's necessary to put chemicals on them.

FWIW, d00d is a big runner and told me today that he came back from a short run - not in the woods, but on the roads here in town - and there was a tick on the computer screen when he sat down. The only place he was was in our backyard, so somehow it wound up in our house. This is tick #2 so far and it's only the first part of May. With the changing climate we may see more aggressive pests in areas where they weren't an issue before. I just got out the box for our Nexgard to make sure it handles ticks, and it does. Whew!

Nu2frenchie

Reaction score
FWIW, d00d is a big runner and told me today that he came back from a short run - not in the woods, but on the roads here in town - and there was a tick on the computer screen when he sat down. The only place he was was in our backyard, so somehow it wound up in our house. This is tick #2 so far and it's only the first part of May. With the changing climate we may see more aggressive pests in areas where they weren't an issue before. I just got out the box for our Nexgard to make sure it handles ticks, and it does. Whew!

Yes, no ticks on our pups since starting Nexgard.

Nu2frenchie

Reaction score
Is anyone using Interceptor for heartworm? We just switched vets and they do not carry Advantix or Sentinel so we switched to Nexguard and Interceptor. My new vet seemed very confident that the dogs will do well on the new products but I read through this thread and no one mentioned Interceptor.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

We use heartgard for heart worm prevention and Nexgard for flea and tick prevention.