French turned mean... need some insight ASAP.

Carlsmom

Reaction score
Hello all,

Let me provide you with a bit of a history. Carlton is just over a year old - up until recently he has been the most friendly, kind dog I have honestly ever met. He has attended numerous obedience classes and is actually a therapy dog. He is THAT kind and sweet. Carlton is very, very socialized - frequently attends the dog park and has absolutely ZERO issues. Carlton is so social that recently when we he wasn't at day care for the day, he was acting very sad - not eating etc.

Therefore.. we made the choice to add another Frenchie into the mix, Banks. Banks is very sweet and is quite submissive which we thought was a great combination for Carlton, as he is quite the instigator. Recently, Carlton has begun attacking Banks - by attacking I mean, aggressively growling and pinning him down. We are usually around and intervene before things get worse - Carlton has never really bitten Banks..yet. These "episodes" occur randomly - we do not give them bones at all as we thought this was the trigger. Carlton can be sitting there and Banks will just walk by and he has an episode. This is truly behaviour I have never ever seen from him - honestly, have never heard him growl prior to this.

What is really upsetting for me, is that lately when I have begun intervening, Carlton snaps at me. Grows aggressively and turns very "mean". I have had dogs all my life and believe I have done some really awesome training with Carlton .. but at this point I do not know know how to react or "train" Carlton when be behaves this way. I have scheduled a vet appt next week just to rule out anything physical.

Please help - this is breaking my heart, I miss my happy kind Carl.

Alice Kable

Reaction score
Is Carl neutered? It sounds like he would rather be an only dog. It my be time to get a trainer's help with this aggressive behavior.

Carlsmom

Reaction score
Yes, he is neutered. Banks is not, obviously, as he is too young.

I have reached out to the trainer whose classes I have attended. Hoping she provides some insight.

Thanks!

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score

I have reached out to the trainer whose classes I have attended. Hoping she provides some insight.

Thanks!

How ild is Banks and how did you introduce them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alice Kable

Reaction score

Thanks!

It sounds like you've got it covered. I bet Carl and Banks will eventually be BFF! :heart:

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Bringing a trainer in is a great idea. You also need to make sure both dogs know that YOU are alpha. How long has Banks been around? I brought in a bulldog puppy last May when when Jax was 4. It took just over 3 weeks before Jax would even let Louie near him. They get along for the most part but Jax can act like a real a@@hole towards Louie at times.

Carlsmom

Reaction score
Hello all,

Thanks for all your help, its greatly appreciated.

Banks has been around for about one month - they get along 98 percent of the time, but the other 2 percent of the time Carl wants to kill Banks lol. Its been very cold where we live, so our walks have been super limited and Carl loves to get out an be busy - I'm wondering if he was going a bit stir crazy and got really grumpy. We have been going on more walks the last few days and so far no issues. I have also taken their toys away for the time being, as Carl can be pretty possessive over his favourite toys.

I have also reached out to a local trainer for some tips in case this continues or escalades. However, since I posted the original thread, there has been no bad blood, yay!

If anyone else has any other input it is always appreciated!

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Thanks for all your help, its greatly appreciated.

Banks has been around for about one month - they get along 98 percent of the time, but the other 2 percent of the time Carl wants to kill Banks lol. Its been very cold where we live, so our walks have been super limited and Carl loves to get out an be busy - I'm wondering if he was going a bit stir crazy and got really grumpy. We have been going on more walks the last few days and so far no issues. I have also taken their toys away for the time being, as Carl can be pretty possessive over his favourite toys.

I have also reached out to a local trainer for some tips in case this continues or escalades. However, since I posted the original thread, there has been no bad blood, yay!

If anyone else has any other input it is always appreciated!

Stay consistent... my girl, also named Banks, was a beeeitch ... same way 98% of time she was great, but then BANG! She would turn mean... it was a 9 yr training session

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
Hopefully with time he will come around, but some dogs just like being the only dog. But since they haven't had an episode in awhile, things might be looking up. Give them both the same attention, they do get jealous. When going out for walks, make sure they sit and you go out first. When walking, make sure they do not walk in front of you, you need to lead the pack or they walk beside you, not in front. Also make sure and keep them separated when you are not around, if you don't do this already. A trainer is a good idea, and hopefully this will help.

Bill M

Reaction score
We'very had a similar situation with our two oldest going at it for the last 5 months. We've had a great response using the pheromone collar they sell at Pets art and Amazon. It mellowed our 6 year old to the point that they never fight. The disadvantage is that it doesn't work on every dog and lasts only about a month.

Sandy B

Reaction score
I'm having a similar issue with my 11 month old neutered male, Herschel, and my daughter's 5 month old intact male, Hopper. Hopper comes to visit some weekends and Herschel is so aggressive with him. With us he is the sweetest, most loving dog. He loves all people and wants to play with other dogs. I have not found a playmate for him. It's too hot to go to a dog park, but we are going to try a play place that was recommended by our vet. I don't know how else to "socialize" him.