Greetings All...

Taz

Reaction score
I'm a retired widow that is proudly owned by her first Frenchie :). Since the 60s I've always had and was raised with large breed dogs: St Bernard, Great Dane, Shar- Pei, Bullmastiff, Bull Terrier and now a Frenchie.

Living alone, bedroom on 3rd floor, and my Bull Terrier had a seizure. I've never given mouth to mouth to a person, much less a pupper. Stood by helpless... Too heavy for me to carry him downstairs and out to a vet. After his passing, I decided I needed a smaller companion that if a problem started I could lift him and get to a vet. Taz will be 1 yr on Aug 7, 2024. He only weighs 25 lbs, but looks great, healthy, and importantly I can pick him up if needed.

I'm still amazed at how little he eats compared to my previous dogs. Bullmastiff's top adult weight at 150 lbs, so 6 times heavier than Tax. Don't want Taz to get fat so I'm very conscious about his diet. He eats twice a day: 1/2 soft chew Glandex, 1/2 c Wellness Complete Health Dry Puppy Kibble, heaping tbl canned pumpkin, tbl small pieces of cooked liver, and tbl small pieces of carrot (switch on and off with green beans, canned tuna, cantaloupe, and blueberries). Trying to decide on when and what to feed Taz as an adult Frenchie. Was thinking of grain free but then read a thread on this forum where grain free is not really a good idea.

I'm open to thoughts on next food to feed Taz as an adult and keep his life long, healthy, and happy. Tks in advance for your help!

Congratulations on your first frenchie @Taz -- welcome to the site as well!

It is a big pricey but I feed my dog Fresh Pet dog food: Amazon.com

Welcome to FBN!

You can switch to adult food now… a few good quality options are Open Farm and Zingnature

Congratulations on your first frenchie @Taz -- welcome to the site as well!

It is a big pricey but I feed my dog Fresh Pet dog food: Amazon.com
Tks John. Will check out Fresh Pet. My Bullmastiff was on the raw diet, recommended/preferred by his breeders. Remember buying cases of chicken wings, necks, and red meat organs. So glad I now have a much smaller mouth to feed. I might actually be able to afford Fresh Pet :).

Welcome to FBN!

You can switch to adult food now… a few good quality options are Open Farm and Zingnature
Welcome to FBN!

2bully mama - Love your moniker!
Thanks for the 2 suggestions. I've been checking them both out on Amazon and noticed that they're both grain free. Don't remember the details of the comments on grain free kibble, nor names of those in the discussion, but what are your thoughts. I realize you would not suggest feeding these two brands if you thought there would be a problem, but are there any drawbacks to feeding grain free?

Both brands look like good, affordable choices, and I can add some raw items on occasion as treats.

Back