help needed regarding allergies

Pinky

Reaction score
Hello All

Newbie here we have a 6 month old Frenchie we have had her for 1 month now she was on raw when she was with previous owner I couldn't face that so asked her to switch to the kibble she weaned them on, which was the Purina Beta i think it was called anyway she was pooping for England and I wanted to try a better food she was also itchy so tried the Wainrights salmon and potatoe which was Hypoallergenic anyway removed all treats now as he itching is horrendous and she has got a lump on her face.

I cant quite bring myself to raw food is there any food (uk based ) i could try I am concerned it may be fish that is bothering her he scratching is taking over her little life any help would be appreciated - has anyone tried the James Wellbeloved? I am currently giving fish treats and apple and carrot only we have also been advised by breeder to try piriton and eye drops from hyperdrug as her eyes are red and look sore could this be allergies from outside? but I knwo one thing I cant let it continue and its worrying me so much

Thanks all

Clare

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome! I am not from England, but kow that both foods you mention are good and others had good results. If you can... change to the grain and white potato free and if you can get duck try that protein as it tends to be less of an allergen.
Stop all treats to you can figure out what the trigger is and then slowly add things back in to see what reaction she has to the food.

Alice Kable

Reaction score
We have had blood tests done to help determine what foods our dogs are allergic to.

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
Frozen raw would be best, and is readily available in UK but the least convenient. Dehydrated raw is second best in terms of allergies, and Pure pet food dehydrated raw is available in UK. I would try turkey, duck or beef. https://purepetfood.co.uk/dogs/dehydrated-recipes

Try giving an antihistamine from your pharmacy such as cetirizine 0.5 mg/pound once daily , chorpheniramine 2 mg per 10 pounds twice daily, or loratidine 10mg daily.

Try giving a half teaspoon turmeric powder mixed with the food twice daily , plus a few grinds of fresh pepper to help it get absorbed.(start slowly )

Try giving organic virgin coconut oil 1 tsp per 10 pounds per day mixed with the food ( start slowly ). This also helps the turmeric get absorbed.

Try giving flax seed oil from a pierced 1g capsule once daily.

Try giving probiotic- eg. raw goats milk, milk kefir, live sauerkraut from refrigerator section of health food store, or commercial doggy probiotic. Be careful- some of the dogs here seem to throw up on some of the probiotics, so start slow.

Try giving EPA/DHA omega 3 fatty acids , about 10 mg per pound of body weight daily, from squid oil or krill oil ( since your dog is allergic to salmon oil can't use that ).

Try adding sea kelp, 1/8 tsp to food twice daily. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Starwest-Botanicals-Organic-Kelp-Powder/dp/B004XIS14M/ref=sr_1_4_s_it?s=drugstore&ie=UTF8&qid=1525228218&sr=1-4&keywords=starwest+botanicals

Tgirl

Reaction score
Also keep in mind that more allergies are environmental than food related. So he could be reacting to something in the environment as well.