Hi 👋🏻 new to forum

Guccilexi

Reaction score
Hello I’ve got 2 French bulldogs they are sisters, gucci had a yeast infection in her ear! And the vet asked me what cover I have on my insurance( which I thought was odd as she has never had an ear infection before) he then wanted to put her on steroid injections for the on going future! Which I said no! Definitely not! As I’ve read the side affects that steroids can cause.! Just wondering what people’s thoughts are on this. Thanks

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Hello I’ve got 2 French bulldogs they are sisters, gucci had a yeast infection in her ear! And the vet asked me what cover I have on my insurance( which I thought was odd as she has never had an ear infection before) he then wanted to put her on steroid injections for the on going future! Which I said no! Definitely not! As I’ve read the side affects that steroids can cause.! Just wondering what people’s thoughts are on this. Thanks

Welcome!

That’s odd for a vet to ask what your pet insurance will cover(likely she wants to create a big vet bill for your insurance or you). Your vet is likely thinking $$$$.

I would’ve said the same thing to the steroid injections, definitely they cause way more harm than good.

What are you using to treat the yeast infection in her ear with?? Is it steroids or antibiotics?

Is this her first yeast infection?

What are you feeding her?
I ask because yeast often is caused by too much carbs and sugar in the diet.

Sometimes just diet change alone can prevent new yeast infections in the future.

Guccilexi

Reaction score
Hello yes it’s her first yeast infection, they have given her steroid tablets but I’m going to stop the course as when she went for a check up they said it was clear but now need to finish the course of steroids. They are on Acanna 80/20 they were on raw for years but the other dog lexi has started just bringing it all back up and not keeping it down so changed their diet to the Acanna. Yes ive definitely refused to put her on constant steroid injections as even with the tablets it’s made her quite unwell! And not eating or keeping water down too but I’ve managed to get on top of it all today I’ve now got her eating and drinking and keeping it all down.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Hello yes it’s her first yeast infection, they have given her steroid tablets but I’m going to stop the course as when she went for a check up they said it was clear but now need to finish the course of steroids. They are on Acanna 80/20 they were on raw for years but the other dog lexi has started just bringing it all back up and not keeping it down so changed their diet to the Acanna. Yes ive definitely refused to put her on constant steroid injections as even with the tablets it’s made her quite unwell! And not eating or keeping water down too but I’ve managed to get on top of it all today I’ve now got her eating and drinking and keeping it all down.

Acana got bought out by Mars recently(that’s who makes IAMS, Pedigree, and all the other dog garbage food), and the Acana and Orijen formulas have changes(not for the better), so it’s actually not the same food quality it used to be.

Maybe that has something to do with her yeast infection.
Do you rotate proteins??

Raw is best for yeast and many other health issues, but if your other dog couldn’t handle it, could you keep this dog on it? Did she have any health issues when she was Raw fed or this is the first problem? Cause raw diet starves the yeast instead of feeding the yeast.

There is other kibbles to switch to from Acana if you want to stick with kibble.

Hopefully she can come off the steroids and continue to improve and get better.

Also for preventative ear issues, I clean his ears with Skouts Honor probiotics ear cleaner which helps keep yeast away as well as the good food.

Guccilexi

Reaction score
Thank you for your info, yes they were both on raw for the last 4 years and had no problems but now lexi seems to not want to keep it down. Like you said I think I’m going to try them on the raw again. What do you mean by rotate their proteins? Thanks

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Thank you for your info, yes they were both on raw for the last 4 years and had no problems but now lexi seems to not want to keep it down. Like you said I think I’m going to try them on the raw again. What do you mean by rotate their proteins? Thanks

I would give raw a try again, if the one doesn’t tolerate it, at least you tried it again. If the one doesn’t tolerate raw I would suggest switching off Acana and to a better food.

By rotating proteins, i mean do 1 bag of lamb, then the next bag is fish, then the next is duck or pork, so you rotate the proteins so they don’t become allergic to what they eat every day(same protein everyday, one example is keeping them on Lamb for 8-12 months or longer Without giving other proteins, they will likely become allergic to the lamb without rotating proteins cause all they eat is lamb).

One of my dogs is very picky. And he became allergic to pork from eating it for only 60 days without rotating proteins.

So with the raw, I rotate the Beef/salmon formula, Kangaroo, Goat, Salmon/venison formula and a only beef formula. So all those formulas I rotate thru for the dogs.
So today is just beef, tomorrow is salmon/venison, the next day is Goat, the next day is kangaroo and so on. You don’t have to do every day is different like I am doing, you can get 2 weeks worth of let’s say sardine kibble, then the next 2 weeks is beef. The more rotating the better and the more nutrients.

Even 1 protein per week is good, so every week they are on a different protein.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh yes I get you! Yeah I do rotate their proteins then as I have beef, chicken, lamb and tripe and rotate every couple of days.
try adding in duck or turkey to the rotation and switch out beef/lamb for a period to see if it makes a difference

🆕 Latest posts