Housebreaking problems

leafrenchie

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I'm having trouble with my ten months old months frenchie Nate. I take him out when I wake up, at midday, at 4pm and before going to bed but when i'm at home for example in the living room, if i don't close the kitchen door i can be sure that he will go there to relief himself. Even when I'm at my grand parents he will sometimes sneak out and relief himself in another room.

When I catch him doing this I say "no" to him and i can see he knows he shouldn't have done that but he keeps on doing this. And i know he could definitely refrain himself because when i leave the house, i leave him in one room with his bed, toys and watter and he's never peeed there.

I honestly don't know what to do anymore to make him stop. I congratulate him when he relieves himself outside and give him a treat; and it seems like he knows he's not supposed to do it inside but it looks like everytime he's in big spaces he pees inside:(

Do you have any advice to give me?

Thanks.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
We went through something similar with Chelios... sorry to say, he just finally 'caught' on when he was two years old. We had to take him out every two hours when home to prevent this from happening. As you stated, while away and in his crate he never had an accident.

Alice Kable

Reaction score
:smileywelcome: to you and Nate! It sounds like Nate is marking territory.

What I would do is crate Nate when he's not outside for his potty breaks. Most dogs don't like soiling their personal space. That said, Frenchies can be very stubborn and hard to potty train. You might need to have him tested to make sure he doesn't have a UTI.

Frenchie Grrrl

Reaction score
What room do you leave him in when he's away? Does he ever give you any signals when he has to go outside?

I would confine him to a smaller area when you are home and put up gates to area where he might sneak off to, that way you won't have to remember to close the door.

We taught Gus to use a bell, so he could alert us that he wanted to go out, even if we couldn't see him. It helped tremendously.

leafrenchie

Reaction score
Thanks for replying:)
I used to leave him in the living room but is didn't really help with potty training since it's quite a big room and there's some furniture that he liked to chew on. So a few months ago i move him to the office since it's smaller and i think he only peeed once in there.

He never gives us any signal but when i'm with him and i see him leaving the room i start to worry since he's always glued to me. But i can't stare at him all day long to see if he's not gonna pee somewhere in the house.

I've also tried to crate him but he won't stop barking and crying.

Alice Kable

Reaction score
Thanks for replying:)
I used to leave him in the living room but is didn't really help with potty training since it's quite a big room and there's some furniture that he liked to chew on. So a few months ago i move him to the office since it's smaller and i think he only peeed once in there.

He never gives us any signal but when i'm with him and i see him leaving the room i start to worry since he's always glued to me. But i can't stare at him all day long to see if he's not gonna pee somewhere in the house.

I've also tried to crate him but he won't stop barking and crying.

You need to get ear plugs, turn the radio up loud to block out the barking and crying. Trust me, eventually he will give up. Maybe an Xpen would work better for you.