Is Your Dog Friendly?

mattcantwin

Reaction score
We took Loki to the beach yesterday.

Loki did very well for the time we had him off leash; after a few mad dashes around he walked alongside us.

Later, he was back on leash, and we came across another dog being walked, on leash, too.

The other people asked us if he was friendly.

He is the first dog we've owned where it is not easy to answer, with absolute certainty, yes.

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
My dog is friendly with all people, but sometimes will play with other dogs, and sometimes try to fight them. One time as I was taking her out of the car she ran off and attacked 2 German Shepherds being walked by their owners and got mauled before we could break it up. She will chase all cats and rodents.

calichis

Reaction score
I think Wally is friendly - but also VERY VERY rambunctious. He's had many health issues as a young puppy/dog that we haven't been able to take him out and put him in situations to learn proper behavior. So he's likey to just jump all over people he meets, etc.

FroxerMom

Reaction score
Daphne is extremely friendly to all people young and old; however I am still unsure about dogs and I am unwilling to experiment at this time. She lives with a large dog (my almost 8 year old Boxer) and in her former home she lived with her litter mate and I saw photos of her off leash with other large dogs. When Daphne sees a dog on tv she loses her mind and has almost knocked the tv off the cabinet 293845830912837 times. She camps out at the window overlooking the front yard, and barks at any dogs and humans walking by our house. If we are on a walk (she is leashed), she barks at oncoming dogs but has mostly stopped lunging. Curiously enough, if I scoop her up and hold her as we walk by someone on the same side of the sidewalk, she stays quiet as we walk by each other. She is still a mystery. In February we will have had her for a year. One of my goals for 2019 is to figure out if she can play with other dogs or if I can get her to walk nicer on a leash and do a proper meeting.

Interesting thread!

JoniF

Reaction score
Our Frenchie Pavie loves all people and animals. He just turned 1 and we have spent a lot of time, energy and money to make sure he was properly socialized. My prior Frenchie was adopted at 4 years old and she loved people but not other dogs. We don't think she was socialized with other dogs before we adopted her.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat... it is situational with him so I lean to a no. he is ALWAYS great with people and children, but dogs is hit/miss.

When alone on leash, he is fine.... with Lambeau he turns into a devil regardless if on leash or not.

Squishy Walnuts

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat... it is situational with him so I lean to a no. he is ALWAYS great with people and children, but dogs is hit/miss.

When alone on leash, he is fine.... with Lambeau he turns into a devil regardless if on leash or not.

Cheli is Wally's twin it seems. Wally is very friendly with people, probably a little too friendly, but other dogs get him in overdrive and he can't calm down enough to greet them. He's not so bad on his own but now that Uma is almost completely blind he's become her security dog and wants to protect her.

Alice Kable

Reaction score
Buster is friendly with all people, big and small! He is also friendly with dogs that are smaller than he; with bigger dogs he gets growls and warns them to back off.

LittleMonsters

Reaction score
My 13 1/2 year old despises other dogs, I think mostly out of fear. Always has. She growls at them and lunges and snarls. She won't actually bite other dogs (she's had plenty of chances and never once has bitten) but she is a total nutjob as soon as she sees another dog. The only other dog she actually likes is our puppy, who she took to right away and sees as part of our family. Until her old age, she loved people, and actually still does once she gets over her initial reaction, but recently has started barking and growling at anyone new in the house. I think it's a bit of senility but whatever. She loves to be pet and get tummy scratches.

Our little one, now a year and half old, LOVES other dogs. She likes people fine, and if she doesn't have anything better to do she'll jump up on you and give you a million kisses. But if there is another dog around, she couldn't care less what people are there (including us!) and she'll whine and protest until she at least gets to go over to meet the new dog. Her absolute favorite thing to do is play in an open field near our house with her doggy friends, big and small. We socialized her right from the start and she's really good with other dogs, if there is an aggressive dog she backs off and doesn't bother them, and she plays really well (sometimes she gets a little over excited with her favorite pals but it wears off quickly) with all sizes and breeds of dogs.

Sorry that it is so dark, but here's a quick clip of my little one playing with a few of her buddies at the park this summer (we go at night during the summer as it is the only time of day that isn't too hot!)