Long post but all input is appreciated

Pokey

Reaction score
YI am the brand new owner of a French Bulldog but we there is a long story of how I came to own this snorty goofy dog.
I went home to take care of my parents farm and animals while they went on a trip for their anniversary. I brought my sweet little chihuahua because my fiancé works long hours and our two other dogs have passed within the last 3 years (Rottweiler of osteosarcoma, blue heeler/lab of lymphoma) so I take extra care of our one remaining babe.
My parents have sheep, cattle, cats, dogs, and a few guardian donkeys. My mom volunteers at the animal shelter I used to work at so she also frequently brings fosters home.
Everything was fine until about 3 days into my trip. Two of the dogs turned on my lil boy for reasons unknown to me and even though I tried to intervene it was too late..he died of blood loss and trauma and a severed spinal cord. Still have no idea why because they had been playing and my parents foster lots of little ones.
So I came back to my small town but wanted to avoid everyone because I was crying a few times a day and didn't want to talk about my trip. Just in a very dark place.
In a misguided but kind gesture my fiancé bought me a French Bulldog. He's been great and I love him already but I also think he may have come from a backyard breeder (the breeder refuses to answer questions about his parents health or even send pics of them). I know he cost 1600 which isn't cheap but also seems BYB to me because they normally cost more.
I've got him on Fromm grain free puppy and Himalayan salt chews and probiotics and puzzle toys and I signed him up for Nationwide insurance. He's a total angel, the best behaved puppy I've ever met.
But I'm scared to get too attached since I don't know his background and I cannot lose another dog. I also talked to my chihuahuas breeder a few weeks after mine was killed because I wanted one from the same parents so he would be my boys sister. I paid her a $400 deposit and expecting the pup in mid April. I did not tell my fiancé about this. He was very upset about losing our boy.
So basically I'm supposed to get another dog in April (a female) and I paid the deposit for her because my breeder doesn't breed much but this is my boys parents and I'm hoping she has some of his personality.
But...this means I will have a 5 month Frenchie and a 2 month chihuahua at the same time. I'm wondering if I just need to eat the money and focus on my Frenchie. I'm already so in love with him but losing my Chi boy in such an awful way I wanted to get his sibling. help

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
The good part is you will have a male and a female pair, so they are more likely to get along.

Frenchie Grrrl

Reaction score
I follow a Frenchie and Chihuahua duo on Insta. They are adorable together. I say go for it. :)

antbkny

Reaction score
Having a Frenchie and chiwawa puppy sounds like the start of a beautiful story. I say go for it.

Alice Kable

Reaction score
Welcome to FBN! I am sorry for your recent losses. Having 2 puppies is always better than 1! They will entertain each other! :heart:

Pokey

Reaction score
I haven't figured out how to respond to all😬. But thank you all for the advice and encouragement. The first night the pup was brought home I stayed up until about 5am reading through these forums to figure out some necessary things to buy, etc. so thank you guys for that too!

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
I haven't figured out how to respond to all��. But thank you all for the advice and encouragement. The first night the pup was brought home I stayed up until about 5am reading through these forums to figure out some necessary things to buy, etc. so thank you guys for that too!

Some things I recommend to buy:
Toys: my dog loves a lacrosse ball the best, Omega Tricky Treat ball for putting in treats when I go away, Kong toy
First aid kit and medical supplies: Nu-Stock ointment, Vetericyn spray and eye drops, ketoconazole/chlorhexidine shampoo eg. Curaseb or Ketohex, apple cider vinegar , witch hazel, spray bottle, round cosmetic pads
Zoomgroom brush
organic virgin coconut oil
unscented baby wipes

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
YI am the brand new owner of a French Bulldog but we there is a long story of how I came to own this snorty goofy dog.
I went home to take care of my parents farm and animals while they went on a trip for their anniversary. I brought my sweet little chihuahua because my fiancé works long hours and our two other dogs have passed within the last 3 years (Rottweiler of osteosarcoma, blue heeler/lab of lymphoma) so I take extra care of our one remaining babe.
My parents have sheep, cattle, cats, dogs, and a few guardian donkeys. My mom volunteers at the animal shelter I used to work at so she also frequently brings fosters home.
Everything was fine until about 3 days into my trip. Two of the dogs turned on my lil boy for reasons unknown to me and even though I tried to intervene it was too late..he died of blood loss and trauma and a severed spinal cord. Still have no idea why because they had been playing and my parents foster lots of little ones.
So I came back to my small town but wanted to avoid everyone because I was crying a few times a day and didn't want to talk about my trip. Just in a very dark place.
In a misguided but kind gesture my fiancé bought me a French Bulldog. He's been great and I love him already but I also think he may have come from a backyard breeder (the breeder refuses to answer questions about his parents health or even send pics of them). I know he cost 1600 which isn't cheap but also seems BYB to me because they normally cost more.
I've got him on Fromm grain free puppy and Himalayan salt chews and probiotics and puzzle toys and I signed him up for Nationwide insurance. He's a total angel, the best behaved puppy I've ever met.
But I'm scared to get too attached since I don't know his background and I cannot lose another dog. I also talked to my chihuahuas breeder a few weeks after mine was killed because I wanted one from the same parents so he would be my boys sister. I paid her a $400 deposit and expecting the pup in mid April. I did not tell my fiancé about this. He was very upset about losing our boy.
So basically I'm supposed to get another dog in April (a female) and I paid the deposit for her because my breeder doesn't breed much but this is my boys parents and I'm hoping she has some of his personality.
But...this means I will have a 5 month Frenchie and a 2 month chihuahua at the same time. I'm wondering if I just need to eat the money and focus on my Frenchie. I'm already so in love with him but losing my Chi boy in such an awful way I wanted to get his sibling. help

Welcome!! All totally normal and since you have a male/female with both being puppies... they should become a great pair.

Sorry for the loss of all your babies... remember you don't replace you love a new.

Good luck and please share pictures

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
So sorry for the loss of your baby. Since they are both young, they should get along fine. Watch the Frecnhie though as they love to play rough, and the Chi will be much smaller. If the play gets too loud or heated, just stop the play and give a time out, probably need a nap by then anyway. Just remember, they are both babies and still need a lot of sleep, and not a lot of play right away. You may know this already, but it's a good reminder, never give rawhides, pig eats, and anything like that.