Lower Back Pain and Diarrhea

Pokergal

Reaction score
Hi, Our 9 year old male frenchie has been having lower back pain/spasms and diarrhea since Dec. 1. It hits him all of a sudden - he'll hunch his back and then have diarrhea. It's so quick we're not able to get him out the door. I've had him to the neurologist and they recommended a MRI. We're a little afraid to have one done because of the smush face. She thinks it's in the lower back area. I've had him for acupuncture and laser therapy, but it's hard to tell how much of an effect it's having. Also, he's on 100 mg Gabapentin and 250 mg Methocarbamol twice a day. It really seems to help. He was taken off of the meds for a day, had an attack and we put him right back on it. I know sometimes they can build up a tolerance to the meds. This last week has been rough for him and we've had to up it to 3 times a day. Does anyone have any experience with this condition? Would you worry about having the MRI done? Thanks!

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately without an MRI, it will be near impossible to find out if it’s a disc issue. Jax has had 3 MRI’s and 3 surgeries between 2017-2018. So he was put under 6 times, once for each. He’ll be 8 in April and I wonder if I would do it again at this age if he needed it. It’s hard to say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
I would question what would be the outcome of the MRI... then would he need surgery, if yes, would you do surgery at his age?

do you this stairs and jumping? We are seeing issues with our guy so we stopped all stairs, he is carried and also stopped him from jumping on/off furniture. His ,walks have been reduced as well. We do see he walks better at home and continues to play. We also do laser therapy which when we miss a session or are late we see a difference in his back legs

not sure this helps, but please keep us posted

🆕 Latest posts