New rescue puppy

EmmanFrankie

Reaction score
So I just acquired my puppy Frankie a couple days ago and we are hitting some snags. He's between 8 and 12 weeks of age, has not had an accident in his kennel or basket so far, is full of energy, holding food down, and finally gaining. He's had a very rough last 6 weeks between severe pneumonia which resulted in his relinquish, to projectile vomiting food through his nose which caused an upper airway infection, loosing weight, to being rehomed because he was stressing the original dogs to where it was unsafe for him. He's lived about 3 of the last 6 weeks at work in the vet's in a cage in isolation, so no walks to potty and cleaning as needed to limit his exposure.

Does anyone have recommendations on how I can address the mouthing/teething/nipping as he's starting to bite for attention & getting off his pee pads. Redirecting towards a toy doesn't seem to be doing much of anything as they only hold his interest while I move them, but the second I let go he goes back to chewing furniture, myself, my SO, or my senior dog. When the mouthiness becomes biting he gets a "time out" in his laundry basket bed until he calms down. I know he has a ton of pent up energy due to both me & my SO working full time, I'd love to take him for a walk as I'm sure once around the building would knock him out, but that brings up my next problem. He won't walk on leash.

He has a harness & collar I've tried to walk him in and he refuses to move for me. He will walk in the house, but not outside. How do I motivate him to walk outside? My other dog, Emma, doesn't motivate him, he doesn't follow her. He's only ankle tall, so trying to lure him is difficult, aside from his sensitive tummy (3 training treats in a day resulted in bad gas & diarrhea he's recooping from). Emma has her own medical related potty issues that has resulted in her having zero patience to get inside when she goes out. I could try walking separate, but I am concerned about Emma going in the house while unsupervised.

I am fully aware of the increased potential for behavior issues due to his last 6 weeks and that he is an unsocialized baby, but I also fully believe he can still be a good dog. He's only my 3rd dog and I've had mixed results on my first 2. My boy Barrett was a natural at everything, the puppy you dream of, so I can't take much credit for the dog he became. Emma has been something else, over all a good dog, but tons of attitude and work, and obviously, incomplete potty training. I know it's consistency and ride out the monster puppy phase, but any tips, recommendations, or modifications that I can do to help him be a social, safe, mannered dog would be appreciated.

Alice Kable

Reaction score
We always say NO BITE and redirect those baby shark teeth to acceptable chewing toys. It sounds like his health issues have been taken care of and he is raring to go. He will grow out of that bitey stage, be patient. You are on the right track giving him time outs!

Frenchie Grrrl

Reaction score
The whole redirecting them when biting/chewing inappropriate things takes a LOT of time and patience. Lol It's still an issue with Gus at 6 months old, but he at least knows "toy" now, so if he's being wild, and I tell him to get a toy, he will usually do so. He loves fetch and tug, so that kind of attention is a natural reward for him complying. If he's chewing the furniture, you need to make sure he has a good alternative. Gus' Himalayan Yak Chews are his favorite. We've had them since he came home at 7 wks, and he's still working on the same two. He has a Benebone and some other chews, as well. These seen to keep his puppy teeth occupied, and we don't have issues with him chewing things up inside.

Does your pup like fetch? If so, it's a good way to wear him out.

As far as leash training goes, maybe practice inside with treats (part of his meal that his tummy can tolerate, maybe) when his good with that, and knows walking on a leash nicely means treats, you can attempt short walks outside (with treats) until he's reliable. I don't really have experience with leash training though. I've never owned a dog that didn't go nuts for a walk. It doesn't seem to be uncommon in Frenchies, though, lol.

Best of luck and welcome! :)

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome!

the biting phase can be patience trying for sure... find a toy that he loves and use that as the redirection toy... a favorite bone or toy should help with a firm NO before you give it to him.. then say 'yours' when you give him the toy/bone.
No help on the leash walking... all my pups have always loved to be out and about..

๐Ÿ†• Latest posts