Orijen and Acana

kpromero

Reaction score
Someone told me today at our local pet store that they heard Orijen and Acana was going to start making it in Kentucky. Has anyone else heard this since I would think they would not ruin a good thing they have.

hannah

Reaction score
I haven't heard that but why do you think it would ruin it?

kpromero

Reaction score
I would think the quality standards are less in the US than in Canada.

Mavis

Reaction score
Hmmm; I hadn't heard this. We have been feeding Bambi Arcana and her allergies seem pretty good. I would hope the company would want to keep the same quality that has grown their very specific customer base.

Squishy Walnuts

Reaction score
Hmmm; I hadn't heard this. We have been feeding Bambi Arcana and her allergies seem pretty good. I would hope the company would want to keep the same quality that has grown their very specific customer base.

I would hope so. I feed my pups Acana but I'm in Canada and it doesn't sound like our food will change. Lots of good foods are made in the U.S. so I would hope they would keep their standards high.

kpromero

Reaction score
Acana is first to be manufactured in Kentucky and then Orijen will slowly get produced as well. Some ingredients will change also on the products sold in the USA. I also received a letter from them stating this as well

kpromero

Reaction score
Hi Keith,

Thank you for your email, hopefully the following information will be helpful.

Building brand new, custom-fitted kitchens in Kentucky provide us a tremendous opportunity to advance our BAFRINO mandate of making Biologically Appropriate foods from Fresh, Regional Ingredients, in our own Kitchens. These three key philosophies have built trust in our brands worldwide, and we fully intend to continue to build on this foundation.

The new DogStar kitchens will supply all ORIJEN and ACANA foods to the US market, with the exception of ORIJEN Tundra which will continue to ship from Canada. Right now we are cooking the ACANA Heritage, Singles and Regional foods, with ORIJEN to begin cooking shortly.

We have posted FAQ’s on our ACANA website regarding some of the changes as well as in regards to the new Kitchens, they may be of interest to you. We’ve covered transitioning etc, and the tips are similar to what we will be recommending for ORIJEN later on. http://acana.com/wp-content/themes/acana/pdf/Kentucky DS Kitchen FAQs 2015.pdf

We choose our ingredient partners carefully, and we set quality and nutritional standards to meet our own food standards. In Kentucky, and other areas of the US, we will be engaging regional farmers, ranchers and fishermen whose values match our own, that we can be proud to name. These suppliers will be providing fresh and custom ingredients that are GMO free, and sustainably and ethically produced.

Our standards and values require that all of our ingredient partners, team members, quality and safety protocols and kitchen facilities are focused on upholding and advancing our Biologically Appropriate mandate, and earning the trust of pet lovers day and in day out.

Canadian regulations for pet food are not strict, however the EU regulations that we follow when making our foods are the toughest regulations in the world. In order for our foods to be EU certified, all of our ingredient suppliers are must be as well. This will be true for foods made in Kentucky as well. The new kitchens will meet EU and FDA regulations, and are designed to make the safest pet on earth. Unlike any other pet food kitchen on earth, our food safety and track and trace capabilities exceed the regulatory requirements expected of a human food facility .

Hopefully that information is helpful, get in touch if you have any other questions.

Warm Regards,

Bonnie
Customer Care Leader
Champion Petfoods LP

Cosmin

Reaction score
I doubt the quality will change. The document and e-mail you guys shared seems to defend their decision rather well. We will still get the Canadian food in Europe though, so i can't complain either way.

hannah

Reaction score
I doubt the quality will change. The document and e-mail you guys shared seems to defend their decision rather well. We will still get the Canadian food in Europe though, so i can't complain either way.
Agreed

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

🆕 Latest posts