Red Ears in Puppy?

melissacut

Reaction score
Hi there,

I am a new Frenchie mom to a ten week old puppy. I’m not quite sure if this is normal but I have noticed that her ears have a red tint to them and they get hot, they do not have an oder. . She does not need to be running around for this to happen. Sometimes it happens after a nap or just while she is relaxing.
The one ear also appears to have little bumps near it. Also she doesn’t not itch them.

I am not sure if she is experiencing allergies to her food. She is being feed taste of the wild puppy formula. For treats she is given Bill Jacs Grain free. Sometimes she is really into her food and wants to eat other times not as much. I am assuming that this might be do to teething?

Any help would be great! She goes to the vet Thursday morning.

Thanks!

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
I usually use Zymox and clean out the ears every other week or so. You can try cleaning g them until you get her to the vet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

melissacut

Reaction score
I usually use Zymox and clean out the ears every other week or so. You can try cleaning g them until you get her to the vet.

Alright thank you!

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
Usually 4 months of age is earliest that allergies develop in puppies. Taste of the Wild is not the best formula out there, but definitely not the worst either. You could do a little better with Fromm Grain Free Heartland Gold puppy or Orijen Puppy Large. I like to give the Costco liver dog treats.

It doesn't sound like the ears are a problem to me if dog is not scratching ears or shaking head. You could also try mixing up 25% organic apple cider vinegar and 75% witch hazel and putting some on a cosmetic pad and wiping around and seeing if you pick up a lot of dirt. The Zymox otic is a great product, but very expensive. When I first got my dog she had an ear infection and Zymox worked great !! I've also had instances where my dog was scratching around her ear and it was bleeding on the inside of the flap and it seemed to calm down when I sprayed it with Betadine (povidone) spray.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I am a new Frenchie mom to a ten week old puppy. I’m not quite sure if this is normal but I have noticed that her ears have a red tint to them and they get hot, they do not have an oder. . She does not need to be running around for this to happen. Sometimes it happens after a nap or just while she is relaxing.
The one ear also appears to have little bumps near it. Also she doesn’t not itch them.

I am not sure if she is experiencing allergies to her food. She is being feed taste of the wild puppy formula. For treats she is given Bill Jacs Grain free. Sometimes she is really into her food and wants to eat other times not as much. I am assuming that this might be do to teething?

Any help would be great! She goes to the vet Thursday morning.

Thanks!

Could definitely be from teething.... [MENTION=4]davidh[/MENTION]

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
Could be fron allergies, but also could just be from teething so I wouldn't worry unless it gets worse.

melissacut

Reaction score
Thank you all! I really appreciate everyone taking the time. The vet said that her ears looks good and is most likely due to teething.