Tear Stains!

Photogirl107

Reaction score
[MENTION=807]meggypoo328[/MENTION]. These little guys def keep you on your toes!!

Maddie

Reaction score
I am a firm believer that the kibble we are feeding the pups have a lot to do with the staining issues. When we brought Maddie home, her stains were dreadful. As soon as we switched to grain free kibble, the stains have almost disappeared. We just started her on raw this week.

I Love Louie

Reaction score
Same with Louie...he was eating wellness and the tear stains were horrible!!! We switched him to grain free and they are gone!!

Lewy

Reaction score
A teaspoon or a few drops of apple cider vinegar in their water will help.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
I tried putting some apple cider vinegar in Jax's water cause of all the benefits and he wouldn't drink it.

Jakeyjake

Reaction score
I have heard that it has to do with the water too, so maybe try filtered water.

coolcat46

Reaction score
yes I was wondering about the vinegar smell...not surprised he wont touch it....
Im switching to distilled water today!!!

eeturk

Reaction score
We saw a huge difference switching from tap to filtered water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MickieBlue

Reaction score
Be careful with distilled. I've read that its not good to go 100% distilled because it doesn't quench thirst. I mix between bottled and distilled and his stains are almost gone. Been about a month.

coolcat46

Reaction score
Be careful with distilled. I've read that its not good to go 100% distilled because it doesn't quench thirst. I mix between bottled and distilled and his stains are almost gone

I have used angel tears, filtered water, wiping her face and still have stains on face....we have used distilled water and our frenchie dies seem to drink a lot

hannah

Reaction score
We are currently trying angel's eyes. Switched to filtered water. Switched to fromm grain free red meat diet. Still tear stains. Ughhh

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

MaplesMommy

Reaction score
We are currently trying angel's eyes. Switched to filtered water. Switched to fromm grain free red meat diet. Still tear stains. Ughhh

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Last time I checked the product line 'Angel's eyes' uses antibiotics. Thats why the tear stains disappear.

I would not give my dog antibiotics, if it doesn't have a bacterial infection.
And even then, antibiotics should never be given longterm.

Antibiotics kill all bacteria, the good and the bad. Meaning your dog's healthy gut flora for example, will be destroyed and without adding a probiotic to build it back up,your dog will be vulnerable to all kinds of diseases and infections.

Bensi1

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I use Peroxide and started using desitin...it seems to be helping thus far. It's only been 2 days and I do notice a difference.

coolcat

Reaction score
Yes filtered water is very helpful too!

Another thing that can cause tear stains is food, what kind of food do you feed?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

We have been dealing with some digestive issues and put our Frenchie on chicken, rice, pumpkin....well we have seen the tear stains lessen to almost gone...we were feeding merrick lamb and sweet potato.....now trying to transition back to a sensitive stomach food

coolcat

Reaction score
Be careful with distilled. I've read that its not good to go 100% distilled because it doesn't quench thirst. I mix between bottled and distilled and his stains are almost gone. Been about a month.

I read where distilled is not goos for them, so we use the spring water

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
I would agree that distilled water is not good for your dog since it is lacking trace dissolved minerals. I personally give my dog water that's been filtered through a 0.5 micron solid carbon block countertop water filter that removes chemicals like lead, since that is what I drink as well. I wipe my dog's wrinkles daily with a malacetic wipe without drying. Occasionally I will wash them with a dab of ketoconazole and chlorhexidine containing shampoo (Curaseb) on a moistened cosmetic pad, then dry it with another cosmetic pad, then apply a cream like Sudacream or Desitin with my finger.

d1mitrov

Reaction score
I also read somewhere that desitin helps. Anyone has any experience with it?

A

AmandaD

I have heard that angel eyes can have long term effects on dogs, even blindness... :fie: