Temperature!

MauiFrenchie

Reaction score
Hi all!

We are considering a Frenchie but have reservations due to warnings we’ve read about them not doing well in hot weather. This summer so far, the temp in our area has been reaching the high 80s to low 90s in the middle of the day.

We’ve seen a few Frenchies in our town before, so it makes me wonder if they have any issues with the heat.

Discussion about this would be helpful. Would Frenchies in general be able to handle temperatures in the 80s and 90s without issue? Are air conditioners a must for them?

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome!

Yes, it is a concern any flat-face breed will have issues with heat. Air conditioner would be required help keep them comfortable and able to breathe with out additional stress.

I recently bought ‘Ice vest’ for my two.. it keeps them cool when outside for a few hours.

98d78a04dfa15ec1c597aa6ddf20d5ba.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Mechadogzilla

Reaction score
I think you would be fine. We had first encountered a Frenchie while on St. John, which has more humidity and is hotter on average than Maui, I believe. We also lived in D.C. with our Frenchies for a number of years where summers were hot ( we did have AC). I would just to minimize activity and exposure when weather is hot. But if temperatures inside your house are constantly in 80’s - 90’s in summer, the French Bulldog would not be happy and might not be best choice.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
I know people that have bulldogs in Texas, Arizona, Florida, Georgia...hot and humid places. A/C would be a must for indoors. Outdoors, you would just limit their activity during the hot times and only go for walks/go outside in the early morning or late evening when temps have cooled down.

Alice Kable

Reaction score
Our Bulldogs have done well in hot temps because our vehicles and homes are air conditioned. We also have made sure our fenced pet areas have shade and keep a kiddie pool available for them in the summer.

Gka

Reaction score
Hi all!

We are considering a Frenchie but have reservations due to warnings we’ve read about them not doing well in hot weather. This summer so far, the temp in our area has been reaching the high 80s to low 90s in the middle of the day.

We’ve seen a few Frenchies in our town before, so it makes me wonder if they have any issues with the heat.

Discussion about this would be helpful. Would Frenchies in general be able to handle temperatures in the 80s and 90s without issue? Are air conditioners a must for them?

I have family in Oahu who are considering the same. My only suggestion is to stop and talk to the Frenchie parents in your town. Ask them a lot of questions and your concerns. Believe me...Frenchie parents LOVE to talk about their little ones and will be happy to give you advice. Also, check if there is a Frenchie meet up group that you may be able to visit. Good luck!