Toy Obsession + Fighting

Louie the Frenchie

Reaction score
My puppy Louie is about 1 year and 4 months old. We have had him since he was a puppy and regularly take him to the dog park and many other places with us. Until recently, he was very calm and relaxed when we would go places and he especially loved the dog park.

A few months ago we noticed he has an obsession with tennis balls (he does not obsess about any other toy) and loves to play fetch. The past few times we have gone to the dog park, he snips and growls at other dogs and has even got in several fights with other dogs.. luckily, we are in a dog park with smaller dogs, but we would like to find a way to calm him down if possible before he tries to fight a larger, more aggressive dog.

Any suggestions on how to desensitize a dog to tennis balls/toys? Suggestions on how to keep him playing nice with other dogs?

Thank you!

Alice Kable

Reaction score
Has Louie been neutered? If not, that's a good place to start.

FroxerMom

Reaction score
Yes, what Alice said. Also, my two dogs cannot be around each other if food or marrow bones are out. They are triggers for sure, so I am pro-active and place them apart or in different rooms. If you notice tennis balls are of particular interest and can cause fights, I personally would not have them available. I'm not knowledgeable on how (or even if) you can desensitize a dog once an object is found to be a trigger. Hopefully someone else can weigh in with some tips or tricks!

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
I am really not sure on this other than to think not to bring the balls to the dog park and just keep them as an at-home play session.

Alice Kable

Reaction score
Yes. Louie was neutered about 7 months ago.

I, too, would put away the tennis balls. I'd keep him on leash at the dog park which could be counter productive until he gets used to that's the way it is going to be. Some dogs feel threatened when they are on leash and the other dogs are running free.
A trainer may be able to help Louie with this issue.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
My puppy Louie is about 1 year and 4 months old. We have had him since he was a puppy and regularly take him to the dog park and many other places with us. Until recently, he was very calm and relaxed when we would go places and he especially loved the dog park.

A few months ago we noticed he has an obsession with tennis balls (he does not obsess about any other toy) and loves to play fetch. The past few times we have gone to the dog park, he snips and growls at other dogs and has even got in several fights with other dogs.. luckily, we are in a dog park with smaller dogs, but we would like to find a way to calm him down if possible before he tries to fight a larger, more aggressive dog.

Any suggestions on how to desensitize a dog to tennis balls/toys? Suggestions on how to keep him playing nice with other dogs?

Thank you!

Ate the snips and fights due to tennis ball or just the presence of the dog in his space

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk