Training schedule

frenchbulldogfan1

Reaction score
Hello!

I would be very interested to seehow you schedule your dog's training. I have come across lots of different views on that matter and I don't really know what method is the best.

I am teaching him lots of different commands at the same time - but he has already learnt most of them and only few need to be strengthen. But what I don't really know is how to schedule commands in his daily routine. So now I'm trying either: 1. to teach all of them 5-6 times during one session 3 times per day (so let's say 6-7 commands x 5 repeats x 3 times a day) or 2. Sometimes I focus on less commands per session but dedicate more time to them, for example 2 commands in the morning 10-15 each, then 2 next in the afternoon and 2 in the evening.

I don't know if any of these are correct - On one hand I wonder if he can remember the commands if I teach all of them during one session because It seems to be a lot for him and if this really can be learnt well by him but on the other hand teaching only 2-3 per session and then trying to do another set in the other session may not really strengthen the previous ones and I don't know if he still can remember what we were doing in the morning if we have another set of commands in the evening.

What do you think?

By the way - I have recently met a lot of french bulldog owners. All of them kept asking about our training and the surprising thing I heard was that their dogs weren't really keen on training and were really stubborn. I know frenchies can be obstinate but apart from certain situations I think my dog is very willing to learn, easy to train and he would really do a lot of for some good snacks. What is your experience?

Best wishes!

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
I like to focus on 1 or 2 commands at a time so not to overload. I am currently working on "come" and "stay" with my bulldog and like to do short and multiple sessions throughout the day.

Alice Kable

Reaction score
I like to focus on 1 or 2 commands at a time so not to overload. I am currently working on "come" and "stay" with my bulldog and like to do short and multiple sessions throughout the day.

I agree. 2 commands at a time is pretty much max for my pups.
Some Bulldogs are more stubborn than others. Our Buster is actually eager to please us and has been very trainable.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree. 2 commands at a time is pretty much max for my pups.
Some Bulldogs are more stubborn than others. Our Buster is actually eager to please us and has been very trainable.

Jax will follow along while I am working with Louie so he can get treats but he sure doesn't follow all of the commands lol! He gets treats just for being cute.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
One or two commands per session... then once they get it without a reward, you can add others

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alice Kable

Reaction score
Jax will follow along while I am working with Louie so he can get treats but he sure doesn't follow all of the commands lol! He gets treats just for being cute.

Hahaha! Jax is smart and knows how to work the system!

frenchbulldogfan1

Reaction score
Ok, so maybe I will reduce so not to overload him. If he learns well I may post a footage here :)

Squishy Walnuts

Reaction score

Uma does the same! :D

I agree about one or two commands per session. Frenchies are like toddlers with their short attention spans.