Travel Anxiety

mhuinker

Reaction score
Not really sure where to post this, but will start here. My poor Leo, for some reason, has suddenly developed anxiety while traveling. Does anyone else have this issue and what, if anything, do you use to calm them?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Alice Kable

Reaction score
Buster has it, not so much in our car but in our Sprinter. He shakes and pants the whole time. I got him a thundershirt which maybe helped a little. We got him some valium but haven't tried it yet--I really hate drugging him, but he is stressed. In Sept he went from OR to MN with us in the Sprinter; he relaxed when we stopped but was nervous while the vehicle was moving. We had planned to take him to CA in Oct. but got him a pet sitter instead. The next short trip he goes on we will try the valium.

FroxerMom

Reaction score
Sorry to hear of Leo's anxiety. In the past I've used a Thundershirt with success for my dog, and my tripod cat needed a NurtureCalm collar (releases comforting pheromones) every 30 days or so. I believe there is a similar collar for a dog in case you wanted to give it a whirl. I've also heard friends having success with Bachs Remedy and CBD Oil.

Best of luck!

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
CBD oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GraciesMom

Reaction score
The dog version of the collar FroxerMom suggested is the Adaptil Calming Collar for dogs. You want the version with 5% CAP (canine appeasing pheromone). The veterinary behaviorist recommended this for Gracie to help with food aggression. I didn't detect a noticeable difference in her behavior but we were trying multiple things at the same time so it was hard to tell what might be having an effect. Certainly the veterinary behaviorist thought it would be helpful so I presume she has observed it helping anxiety in other dogs. The pheromone is one given off by a nursing mother to her pups, hence the calming effect.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
The dog version of the collar FroxerMom suggested is the Adaptil Calming Collar for dogs. You want the version with 5% CAP (canine appeasing pheromone). The veterinary behaviorist recommended this for Gracie to help with food aggression. I didn't detect a noticeable difference in her behavior but we were trying multiple things at the same time so it was hard to tell what might be having an effect. Certainly the veterinary behaviorist thought it would be helpful so I presume she has observed it helping anxiety in other dogs. The pheromone is one given off by a nursing mother to her pups, hence the calming effect.

Banks hated the car.... Xanax worked for her, just relaxed her, she was never groggy or drugged, just mellow

mhuinker

Reaction score
How much and what was her weight?

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
How much and what was her weight?

She was 62lbs... I’ll have to go search records but she got half pill of what was prescribed and we gave it to her 20 mins before leaving

GraciesMom

Reaction score
We put Gracie to the test today -- a 3 1/2 hour ride to the beach. Sometimes she starts shaking on a short ride. She did very well today though. We put her bed in the back seat and then used a doggie seatbelt to secure her. She seemed pretty comfortable most of the time. We also stopped a few times to let her out.

Dreamer

Reaction score
watching this thread with interest as Samson is coming with us on our Christmas pilgrimage this year which will be a 12 hour car ride... he drools incessantly when riding in a crate in the car but is totally fine if I hold him. Maybe have to be sure he can see out a window while in the crate... I've heard dogs sometimes get carsick only when they are young as well?

mhuinker

Reaction score
CBD oil.

Hi Citty - forgive my ignorance, but where would one find CBD oil. How do you give it to Jax and how much?

Thank you!

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Citty - forgive my ignorance, but where would one find CBD oil. How do you give it to Jax and how much?

Thank you!

I get it from one of the local pet shops, the co-op I belong to and now Jax’s acupuncturist is going to start selling it as well. I give the liquid and either out drops on treats or directly in his food. There are biscuits and treats as well but I like the liquid better as they absorb more of it. If you can’t get it locally, I am fairly certain you can order it online. Each bottle I have tried has dosage on it but I usually give a few more drops than recommended. They can’t OD on CBD oil. I give it to Jax as an anti inflammatory but it has many benefits, including anxiety.

mhuinker

Reaction score
I get it from one of the local pet shops, the co-op I belong to and now Jax’s acupuncturist is going to start selling it as well. I give the liquid and either out drops on treats or directly in his food. There are biscuits and treats as well but I like the liquid better as they absorb more of it. If you can’t get it locally, I am fairly certain you can order it online. Each bottle I have tried has dosage on it but I usually give a few more drops than recommended. They can’t OD on CBD oil. I give it to Jax as an anti inflammatory but it has many benefits, including anxiety.

Thank you Citty...

GraciesMom

Reaction score
watching this thread with interest as Samson is coming with us on our Christmas pilgrimage this year which will be a 12 hour car ride... he drools incessantly when riding in a crate in the car but is totally fine if I hold him. Maybe have to be sure he can see out a window while in the crate... I've heard dogs sometimes get carsick only when they are young as well?

You might try using a doggie seatbelt instead of a crate. It gives them more mobility and visibility. Here’s a picture of Gracie on a recent trip to the beach. We put her bed in the backseat and secured her in it with a doggie seatbelt. She could move around a bit but not get off the seat. I was in the front passenger seat and could reach back to pet her or give her a treat. She could also see us.

9708D164-4BB1-4687-A674-F0766FD7CACC.jpeg

mhuinker

Reaction score
Banks hated the car.... Xanax worked for her, just relaxed her, she was never groggy or drugged, just mellow

Hi Christine - Decided to try Xanax with Leo per his vet's recommendation..... it WORKED!!! YAAAA..... he mellowed out after about 5 minutes of panting and actually napped for part of today's trip.... He doesn't seem groggy or drugged, which is great! 1/2 a tab worked well for him on this trip..... keeping my fingers crossed!!

Thank you everyone for all the suggestions!!

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Christine - Decided to try Xanax with Leo per his vet's recommendation..... it WORKED!!! YAAAA..... he mellowed out after about 5 minutes of panting and actually napped for part of today's trip.... He doesn't seem groggy or drugged, which is great! 1/2 a tab worked well for him on this trip..... keeping my fingers crossed!!

Thank you everyone for all the suggestions!!

Fantastic news... so happy it worked for him. Good luck, hope this makes travel more pleasant for you all