Cytopoint for dog allergies?

andre09

Reaction score
Hmm where do I start? From the beginning I suppose... My name is Jay, I am new to the forum, my wife and I have a 9 year old frenchman named Andre.

I decided to join this online community after reading through some very helpful threads this morning. Our little guy has been struggling most of his life with skin allergies. We have taken him to the vet pretty much his whole life when his flair-ups have got out of control. In the earlier years we were controlling the bad episodes with a round of predisone. Would have to do this maybe a couple of times a year when things got out of control. His main symptoms include red, inflamed itchy paws. He will lick them obsessively for hours. We got him on ZD ultra "hydrolyzed" dog food (vet recommended) which helped for a while, but the symptoms starting coming back after time. I never really liked this dog food, because of the quality of ingredients. We used it though, because it did seem to help him clear up for a while.

Recently Andre's paws have taken I turn for the worse (starting last summer). The licking turned more to biting. He would go at his paws so hard they would be raw and bleeding. We took him into our vet and they suggested we put him on Apoquel. That seemed to work immediately and he cleared up about 90%. He still wanted to lick and bite, but much less and his paws starting getting back to a normal white. 2 months later, he started chewing again and his paws were getting worse so we stopped giving him the apoquel. I decided to maybe try to change his food to a more quality limited ingredient option. I have never been able to figure out what he has been allergic to over the years. We did some expensive skin testing done at a dog skin doctor years back but the results were pretty inconclusive. I personally think he has food allergies because he has immediate reactions to human foods we have included into his diet over the years. I decided to try acana duck and pear but Andre wouldn't eat the stuff. I wouldn't even consider him a picky eater so I thought we should try the Zignature duck. He like it, but his allergies turned from just red paws to hive spots on his body. At this point we had to take him back to the vet again and get him back on the apoquel. It cleared him up again immediately and the vet told me to go back to the hydrolyzed dog foods now recommending Royal Cannin HP.

He has now been on this food for a month along with his daily apoquel and his allergies have started to come back once again! So we made another appointment yesterday with the vet and took him in. They suggested we try cytopoint and told me there are really no side effects other than the hassle of the injection appointments and of course the cost. I have read a little bit about the drug and it seemed a pretty safe option. I went ahead and had the injection done yesterday. Ive since started to read up more on cytopoint and came accross a dog thread online saying to stay away from the drug. A bunch of different owners were saying they had seen some pretty negative side effects after starting their dog on cytopoint (ranging from lethargy to a bunch of individuals saything they had to soon put their dog down from complications) This has me pretty worried!!! I was wondering if any of my fellow french owners have used cytopoint and have any insight to the after effects? Sorry for the novel, just trying to include as much of my story as posssilble! I will link the forum I came accross to the cytopoint warnings below (it started getting scary around page 5 if you want to skip through)

Has your dog reacted badly to 'Cytopoint' injection (new anti-itch shot) - Page 5

Jay

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome and sorry you have been dealing with this for so long! Jax had a skin test done years ago and is allergic to everything green outside. He was on Apoquel for years and then we switched to Cytopoint and I have nothing but great things to say about it! He can go over 8 weeks between injections.

We also have a maintenance routine which includes monthly baths with with either Ketohex or Chlorhexidine shampoo. Before Cytopoint, I’d have to give weekly baths. Also, if Jax’s paws are looking red or he’s really licking or biting them, I do paw soaks. Dilute some povidone iodine in water until the color of iced tea and soak for 5 minutes once a day for a week or so. I just use the kitchen sink for this. I also have Chlorhexidine wipes I’ll use to wipe his paws and belly and armpits.

For food, have you ever consider raw or home cooking? Much easier to control the ingredients this way versus kibble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dreamer

Reaction score
Seconding everything Cbrugs has said: My little dude has environmental allergies (I know it's not his food since I had an allergy test done to find out which foods not to give him) and would get inflamed paws and itchy tummy. he would scratch and lick and chew. We started Cytopoint monthly about 3 months ago and it's completely solved our problems. I bathe him about twice a month with either Curaseb medicated shampoo or just regular Earthbath depending on if he has any symptoms showing at the time. This is a good article I read while trying to research Cytopoint/Apoquel

Would highly recommend frozen raw, it's great for allergy dogs. I also give him a bit of raw goats milk with each meal - it's supposed to help a lot with allergies as well.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Agree with Citty and Dreamer... cytopoint has been great for my bulldog. Lambeau has constant ear infections, red face, and was losing fur. We switched to cytopoint injections, he gets one every six-eight weeks from May through October... no more ear infections, red face is gone, and we switched to raw feeding and his fur grew back.

FroxerMom

Reaction score
Great info in this thread as always. Where does everyone get the special wipes and shampoos. At a pet place or are they Rx only from vet?
I'm interested in Cytopoint injections as well but my new vet, when asked about it, says their office policy is to start with Apoquel and then move to Cytopoint if necessary. When I said I wasn't interested in Apoquel because of all the side effects, etc..., the vet claimed it is completely safe, many vets use it on their own dogs, and the convo just kinda stalled. :-(

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Great info in this thread as always. Where does everyone get the special wipes and shampoos. At a pet place or are they Rx only from vet?
I'm interested in Cytopoint injections as well but my new vet, when asked about it, says their office policy is to start with Apoquel and then move to Cytopoint if necessary. When I said I wasn't interested in Apoquel because of all the side effects, etc..., the vet claimed it is completely safe, many vets use it on their own dogs, and the convo just kinda stalled. :-(

You pay for his service why would he not respect your choice? I did they same with my vet.. he said OK , then Cytopoint it is.

FroxerMom

Reaction score
You pay for his service why would he not respect your choice? I did they same with my vet.. he said OK , then Cytopoint it is.

She needs to go in for heartworm test soon so I will address it again. Thanks :)

andre09

Reaction score
Welcome and sorry you have been dealing with this for so long! Jax had a skin test done years ago and is allergic to everything green outside. He was on Apoquel for years and then we switched to Cytopoint and I have nothing but great things to say about it! He can go over 8 weeks between injections.

We also have a maintenance routine which includes monthly baths with with either Ketohex or Chlorhexidine shampoo. Before Cytopoint, I’d have to give weekly baths. Also, if Jax’s paws are looking red or he’s really licking or biting them, I do paw soaks. Dilute some povidone iodine in water until the color of iced tea and soak for 5 minutes once a day for a week or so. I just use the kitchen sink for this. I also have Chlorhexidine wipes I’ll use to wipe his paws and belly and armpits.

For food, have you ever consider raw or home cooking? Much easier to control the ingredients this way versus kibble.

Thank you everyone for the helpful information. I am glad nobody has anything bad to report regarding cytopoint injections. That thread has me a little worried still.

Andre has now been on cytopoint for about 72hrs. I havent seen any improvements yet. The vet said it could take 1-3 days for the injection to start kicking in. Did anyone see immediate results, or was it more of a waiting till the second-round-injection type thing?

We did discuss the idea of going to a home cook or raw food diet next. The new vet we took him to this past week is pretty anti (commercial kibble) when it comes to dogs with chronic allergy symptoms. I felt like our last vet was really pushy about us feeding our dog their prescribed kibble brands (hence the fact we are now using Royal Cannin). Unfortunately it seems like these franchise corporation vet companies are kind of all on the same page. Our past vets have been VCA and Banfield and both prescribed hydrolyzed foods they were selling. Neither has ever suggested raw or home cooked. It already seems much better working with an independent vet who didnt seemed motivated to sell anything they were trying to push.

I must admit, home cooked and raw food does seem very intimating to me out the gate. I dont really know where to even start. Does anyone have any starting suggestions? I also think its probably time to try another shampoo brand. We have been using the zymox shampoo for a while but am open to trying something medicated. Im also going to try the iodine paw soak this evening. Hopefully we will start to see some improvement soon with the cytopoint injection.

Thanks again everyone!

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score

I get the wipes and shampoo from Amazon. I don’t see why you’d have to start with Apoquel, what is the logic behind that?

Dreamer

Reaction score
I buy Primal or Stella & Chewie's frozen raw - it's pre-made food you can stick in your freezer and then thaw a patty the night before. Super easy. I buy two 6 lb bags about every 2-3 weeks (and the goats milk comes frozen too, I buy 2 of em about every other visit) - check for a local pet food store as most will carry these brands and a few others for raw (not Petco/Petsmart) You can also make raw yourself with meat & mixers for appropriate nutrition but I am not versed in this area, perhaps another member here can chime in.

Raw for me ends up costing about the same as a premium kibble brand would so it was an easy choice. Samson is able to eat less and his poops are perfect on this diet :yes: (he also absolutely devours it)