Elongated soft palate resection and revision of stenotic nares during neutering

jpenland00

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!
My Hector is almost 6 mos old so it is about time for neutering. My vet recommended to go ahead and perform elongated soft palate resection and revision of stenotic nares while he's in there. He hasn't had any issues but due to his breed. I was curious if anyone else has done this and what the outcome was? Or has anyone opted out of these surgeries and regretted it later. Just want to make sure I'm doing the best for by pup and also not wasting $1,200.
Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!
Julie

Attachments

• Hector at Beach.jpg
    Hector at Beach.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 106

Carson1834

Reaction score
Both my vet and breeder recommended to wait until about 1 year to get my guy neutered.

My vet also recommended to do his nares then too. She said she’ll check if he needs his palate done while he’s intubated. She said some bulldogs she can tell right away if they need that surgery by the way they breathe but that’s not the case with my guy.

My breeder on the other hand only recommends doing those surgeries if they have breathing issues, which mine doesn’t. Yet. He’s only 7 months old. She said only one of her dogs needed the surgery years ago but who knows. I feel vets are way more cautious/preventive than breeders.

I’ve also heard of some getting the surgeries when they’re younger and had to redo them later in life. I definitely want to avoid that.

So I’m still unsure what I’m going to do but I have awhile to decide. I have 2 friends with Frenchies who are both around 7 years old and neither of them had them and both are doing great.

Sorry I can’t be more helpful but thankful you posted this as I’m interested to hear what others’ thoughts are as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Some vets will just automatically recommend those surgeries even if they’re not needed. Your boys nares don’t look too bad in that photo. I would only do the surgery if it was actually needed. Is your vet an experienced bulldog vet? If not, I would get one. I have 1 Frenchie and 2 bulldogs and none have needed either surgery, they can breathe just fine.

And yes, I would wait as close to a year as possible before neutering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
I say if he is not having problems with these issues, (breathing, eating as in swallowing, chocking, or coughing when drinking water), I would not do the unnecessary surgeries. Plus I recommend waiting until he is at least a year old to neuter him. 18 months of age is better. The sex hormones are used to aid in his development.

Terry S

Reaction score
This boy has had TWO full surgeries of his nares and the soft palate. Last time over 5cm were surgically removed and I am noticing no improvement. His breathing has improved approx 25 pecent after the last surgery. His noise at night is beyond tolerable. Any thoughts?

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
This boy has had TWO full surgeries of his nares and the soft palate. Last time over 5cm were surgically removed and I am noticing no improvement. His breathing has improved approx 25 pecent after the last surgery. His noise at night is beyond tolerable. Any thoughts?
Palate can grow back as it is soft tissue.. my guy also had to have saccules removed

🆕 Latest posts