Fractured femur

Blawson1988

Reaction score
My frenchie had fractured femur repair today. It was his first time being under anaesthesia. Has anyone had issues with their frenchie coming out of the anaesthesia? Also has anyone recovered from this surgery? Tips? Thank you.

Jeffc

Reaction score
My boy broke his leg and it required surgery. He’s been under anesthesia twice, once for that surgery and another time for a MRI. Both instances he thankfully did fine with the procedures. As for healing I would listen to whatever the doctor suggests and follow it to the letter. I imagine your pup will require a lot of crate rest. How did he hurt his leg?

Blawson1988

Reaction score
did your dogs repair go smoothly? Was it a clean break?? Burt was hit by car in my driveway :( the break was worse than they thought once they got in there. He will require crate rest for atleast 8 weeks.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
My frenchie had fractured femur repair today. It was his first time being under anaesthesia. Has anyone had issues with their frenchie coming out of the anaesthesia? Also has anyone recovered from this surgery? Tips? Thank you.

Poor dog!

Definitely strict crate rest for a while to heal fully.

I haven’t had a dog need this surgery, however, my frenchie has had 4 or 5 surgeries so far(and needs another mild surgery in a few weeks unfortunately), it definitely is really stressful for us owners when they need some kind of surgery. My frenchie Rusty is 4.5 years.

Good luck with the surgery and hope recovery goes well.

Jeffc

Reaction score
did your dogs repair go smoothly? Was it a clean break?? Burt was hit by car in my driveway :( the break was worse than they thought once they got in there. He will require crate rest for atleast 8 weeks.
I’m so sorry to hear this, that’s awful. Definitely strict crate rest and follow all the instructions you’re vet provided. They are resilient little creatures. I imagine that he will heal fine. How did he get out of the house or was he just playing in the yard?

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
I have no experience but sending healing prayers to your sweet boy.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
I have no experience with this specific surgery but Jax has been under anesthesia multiple times for MRI's and surgeries related to IVDD and as recent as either earlier this year or late last year at 9 years old for a bump removal/biopsy and knock on wood, has never had any issues with coming out.

As others have stated, be sure to follow the after care instructions and do strict crate rest. Jax has had to do 8 weeks of crate rest on 4 occasions and while it is hard, it is a must and is very important to stick to.

Good luck and keep us posted!

🆕 Latest posts