Frozen raw bones

eeturk

Reaction score
Has anyone bought frozen raw bones? I saw them at pet food express in the freezer and wondered about them. I feel like Hudson would love them but I worry about bones (have heard about them splintering and also calcifying in the digestive tract).

I obviously would watch him like a hawk with it, and it really seems like it'd be something he would like. Does anyone have experience with them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Cheli gets a frozen marrow bone every Saturday night. The issues you mention are related to cooked bones

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

eeturk

Reaction score
Cheli gets a frozen marrow bone every Saturday night. The issues you mention are related to cooked bones

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

This is why I love this forum! Always learning new things. Thank you!!!

MaplesMommy

Reaction score
Maple gets frozen Chicken Necks about once a week and loooves them!
But she is a pig when she eats and has once tried to swallow the whole big end piece. So for now we let her eat it but then take the last part away from her and throw it out until she learns to chew and not just swallow :p

If your dog isnt a big chewer I would do the same for now. Or hang on to the bone while he is eating it.

MaplesMommy

Reaction score
Also when they have something yummy like this it also gives you the opportunity to practise ' drop it' or ' leave it' or at least you should be able to take it away from him whenever you want to prevent food aggression or dominance in the future ;)

Schimpfy

Reaction score
Chance loves his marrow and lamb bones does a sniff, lick then a happy dance before getting down to business.

eeturk

Reaction score
Thank you guys!! Luckily leave it and drop it are actually his best commands, so it'll be a good high stakes test for him!

I am, however, worried about his hoarding tendencies with this... If he gets something he REALLY likes he carries it around in his mouth audibly crying (usually for 15-20 minutes) until he finds what he deems a suitable place for it. He then tries to bury it there. I'm fine with him hoarding antlers and hiding them, but this could get kind of gross!! Hopefully he'll just chew on it and not deem it a hide-able treasure!