Frustrated with so many questions

EmmiRaesMom

Reaction score
Am I doing something wrong or is puppy hood this hard?? It's been many years since I had a puppy but never recall it being this difficult. Now for the questions..How long can a puppy actually go without eating? Since I've had Emmi it's been a battle some days to get her to eat. Also how does one get their puppy in a routine? I'm not going to bed until almost 12am while she naps on and off just so I can take her out because I know she can't hold her pee that long. So I take her out at 12am and my husband gets up for work at 4:30 and she wants up with him so then I'm back up at that time and I'm just dragging all day long. Not just that but I'm wondering if her being fussy is because she really has no routine down. It's basically eat when by miracle that we can coax her into eating. She will take a piece of dry food and run all over the place with it. I have also tried fresh food and she liked it but that also died out fast and no longer an interest. I'm just struggling so bad because I worry about her and this not eating stuff that is becoming more consistent with her. Thank you in advance to anyone that has any advice or suggestions on what I should or shouldn't be doing.

FroxerMom

Reaction score
Hi EmmiRaesMom! Welcome. So sorry to hear you are having a particularly hard time with puppyhood. I've owned 8 dogs in my life and only two of those were puppies (by choice) because you are right...it is SO hard and tiring. I think you are on the right track for wanting to have her on a routine. I'm of the opinion that getting a dog on a routine is critical as it helps the dog be confident as he or she knows what's coming and what to expect. If you can get her into a routine for feeding, walking/playing, and bedtime, I think you will feel some relief. My Frenchie is a PIG - she eats anything including my cat's food and will hoover up a microscopic crumb, so I don't really have experience with an FB that isn't food motivated. My best advice would be to try something really flavorful (wet food) and warm it up just a bit so the aroma really comes out. Mine is on a commercial raw food and she scarfs it up in seconds, but I know raw feeding isn't for everyone.

I can imagine how tired you are and you probably don't want to hear this but if you put in the work now getting her into a routine, you will benefit later. Keep feeding times the same, and develop a schedule of going outside afterwards (30 minutes later). Maybe a big play session before bed would help and then a little snack and she should sleep through the night fairly soon. How old is she? Do you crate train? Do you work outside the home? I may have more to add after hearing your reply. Thanks and good luck! Hang in there :)

EmmiRaesMom

Reaction score
Hi Froxermom! Ty for the reassurance.. I can't tell you how much I needed to hear it. She is crate trained but she only lasts in there for about 4 hrs and cries bad because she has to pee or just hears my husband up and then she wants out. That's the reason I have been staying up until 12 because 4 or so hrs seems to be her max in the crate. Her eating has me worried. She ate a tiny bit at 8am and I mean a few pieces and still nothing as of now. I figured she would be starving. She is sleeping a lot as well. Getting her to eat has been an issue since we got her a few weeks ago. She is 16 weeks and I have tried everything to entice her to eat from boiled chicken with chicken stock mixed in, wet food, home-cooked and all is fine for 2-3 days and right back to refusing it all over again. I do work from home thankfully.

Repose

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the issues, but I’m sure they’re just temporary. I raised 2 puppies at the same time last year and at times I was ready to completely lose it

Routine for sure is crucial. Immediately upon waking, about 10 minutes after drinking water, immediately after play-sessions and right before bed, the pup should be brought outdoors for potty and praised and given treats each and every time. I brought my dogs to the same spot in the yard every time for potty on a leash so they understood what I wanted. They both go immediately now and on command and they learned quickly at that.

During the day if you’re at home, take the dog out every 3 hours until 5 months old and every 4 hours after that until you feel they understand potty is for outside only. By 6 or 7 months of age the dog should have it down.

As for nighttime you can try having the dog in a can’t fail situation like a puppy apartment of sorts. The crate for sleeping can be put inside a larger pen and the floor in that pen area completely lined with pee training pads. That way it’s just easy cleanup when you wake up. My method was to set an alarm for every 3 hours at 3 months Old and every 4 hours at 4 and 5 months old and just take the dogs out to pee and back to bed. It sucks but it’s really only for 2 or 3 months at most. By 6 or 7 months of age both my pups could hold it through an average 8 hour night.

The puppy months go by so, so, so fast don’t let it get to you.

I wish I had advice for feeding but I’m at a loss there. My only thoughts would be to make sure deworming is up to date. When my pups have been sick in the past I give them bone broth to at least feel like they’ve gotten some nutrients in them. You can maybe try only having food available at certain times and if the dog doesn’t eat, well that’s a missed opportunity until the next mealtime where they won’t want to miss out. I feed 3 raw meals a days so my dogs have to eat the food when its there, it can’t just sit in the bowl all day and rot until they feel like eating. If you feel like you could do raw feeding, that’s something to try. My pups are both doing great on it but it certainly is not for everyone.

EmmiRaesMom

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the issues, but I’m sure they’re just temporary. I raised 2 puppies at the same time last year and at times I was ready to completely lose it

Routine for sure is crucial. Immediately upon waking, about 10 minutes after drinking water, immediately after play-sessions and right before bed, the pup should be brought outdoors for potty and praised and given treats each and every time. I brought my dogs to the same spot in the yard every time for potty on a leash so they understood what I wanted. They both go immediately now and on command and they learned quickly at that.

During the day if you’re at home, take the dog out every 3 hours until 5 months old and every 4 hours after that until you feel they understand potty is for outside only. By 6 or 7 months of age the dog should have it down.

As for nighttime you can try having the dog in a can’t fail situation like a puppy apartment of sorts. The crate for sleeping can be put inside a larger pen and the floor in that pen area completely lined with pee training pads. That way it’s just easy cleanup when you wake up. My method was to set an alarm for every 3 hours at 3 months Old and every 4 hours at 4 and 5 months old and just take the dogs out to pee and back to bed. It sucks but it’s really only for 2 or 3 months at most. By 6 or 7 months of age both my pups could hold it through an average 8 hour night.

The puppy months go by so, so, so fast don’t let it get to you.

I wish I had advice for feeding but I’m at a loss there. My only thoughts would be to make sure deworming is up to date. When my pups have been sick in the past I give them bone broth to at least feel like they’ve gotten some nutrients in them. You can maybe try only having food available at certain times and if the dog doesn’t eat, well that’s a missed opportunity until the next mealtime where they won’t want to miss out. I feed 3 raw meals a days so my dogs have to eat the food when its there, it can’t just sit in the bowl all day and rot until they feel like eating. If you feel like you could do raw feeding, that’s something to try. My pups are both doing great on it but it certainly is not for everyone.
Thank you!! We are taking her out during the day about every hour and it's still not enough. Is taking her water up at a certain time at night ok? Her deworming is up to date and she had a fecal done and it was negative. Is there any kind of guide of how much she should be eating a day? Maybe I'm expecting her to eat too much during the day? I'm so clueless on her eating. I'm totally open to raw feeding, I just so desperately want her to eat.

EmmiRaesMom

Reaction score
The other thing is she will actually go so long with not eating that she will throw up bile.

Repose

Reaction score
The other thing is she will actually go so long with not eating that she will throw up bile.

That’s a head scratcher for sure. I’m sure you’ll find something that works in time.

I only know feeding amounts for raw. For puppies it’s usually 4-8% body weight in food and an adult gets around 3%. Usually kibble will have feeding chart guidelines on the bag. My boy puppy would throw up bile at 2am every morning once his stomach emptied from his last dinner time meal and he used to burp up during the day. We have treated this successfully with daily Pepcid but he does eat normally other than that. I really wish I had advice for you but all I can offer is best wishes.

EmmiRaesMom

Reaction score
That’s a head scratcher for sure. I’m sure you’ll find something that works in time.

I only know feeding amounts for raw. For puppies it’s usually 4-8% body weight in food and an adult gets around 3%. Usually kibble will have feeding chart guidelines on the bag. My boy puppy would throw up bile at 2am every morning once his stomach emptied from his last dinner time meal and he used to burp up during the day. We have treated this successfully with daily Pepcid but he does eat normally other than that. I really wish I had advice for you but all I can offer is best wishes.
Thank you! Just having someone listen to me helps me tremendously. Good news is that she ate tonight not the dry food but the Ollie food we order for her. It's like farmers dog just different company. She doesn't seem to like dry food at all. I was trying to gradually switch her over but it's not going that way. I'm just so relieved she finally ate something!

mattcantwin

Reaction score
Yes I am and it's now caught up to me only getting 4 hrs sleep.

This may not work for you, but years ago (pre-Loki), right before I left for work, I put our dog in bed with my wife.

They both slept very well for hours afterward.

EmmiRaesMom

Reaction score
She slept for 6 hrs and no accidents in the crate and she even ate her fresh food this morning. Maybe she's just not one to eat early in the morning.. just like her mom, she doesn't do mornings :no: lol I just pray this continues!! Ty everyone!!

mattcantwin

Reaction score
She slept for 6 hrs and no accidents in the crate and she even ate her fresh food this morning.
Maybe she's just not one to eat early in the morning.. just like her mom, she doesn't do mornings :no: lol I just pray this continues!! Ty everyone!!

Great news; hopefully smooth sailing ahead.

EmmiRaesMom

Reaction score
I do have another question. Lol is it normal for a puppy to be peeing so frequently? She just peed back to back within 10 mins apart.. 3 times. She hasn't really drank much water since being up so I don't know what's causing the frequent urinating.

FroxerMom

Reaction score
Man, you sure have your hands full with her! The peeing thing...I've had dogs that delight in peeing just a little bit when taken outside and not completely emptying their bladder for some reason. My Frenchie does not do this and when she goes out, she gets it all out. Maybe start taking her out at the same times every day (if you aren't already) and encourage her to go in the same spot (this is handy because eventually she will learn to go on command and if it is raining or super cold out this is VERY helpful)! Give her a treat - something she appears to like but make it a high value treat by ONLY giving it to her when she goes potty outside.

I was glad to read she actually ate something substantial. You may have a picky eater. I also am only familiar with how much to feed in ounces via raw, so I'm not much help there. I do know that there is a feeding table on the back of all kibble bags but often it is more than what she actually needs, so just experiment if you are sticking with kibble. Something also to take into consideration is her activity level. Mine goes on 4-5 long walks per day because we don't have a fenced yard. She's still pretty spunky at almost 4 years old, so I give her a smidge more than what the raw feeding guides suggest.

You've covered a lot of bases with having her checked out at the vet for suspected worms, etc...I would say if she continues down this road of not eating much and seems at all sluggish, bring her back to the vet to check again for parasites.

As for sleeping, maybe try bringing her into bed with you so you don't have to keep getting up at 4. I can't imagine she wouldn't snuggle up with you and go back to sleep. I have a similar situation where my husband leaves at 5 for work and she wakes up when she hears him getting ready but she knows there is no way in the world I am getting up yet, so she comes back over to me and lays down. It will get better!!

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
The team sure has you covered... I can’t add my better advice. Wishing you all the best... I hope she is coming around

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CutieFrenchie

Reaction score
Our Frenchie is a fussy/picky eater and it sounds just like yours regarding the food. I have a big list of kibbles that we've tried so far. We'll buy a new or or get a sample pack. Grab a kibble or 2 out of it and she'll take it but stops after a few days. Tried set feeding schedule and take it away. Changed it to free feeding but keeping track of the portions.

She was eating consistently during her 1st heat cycle at 7 months. We thought we finally found something she liked but that only lasted for a couple of weeks.

She just turned 10 month a couple of weeks ago. Got spayed at the start of the month. We also found a new food that she's been eating pretty consistently for the past 4 weeks or so.

Open Farms gently cooked frozen 16oz packs. We've been using their freeze dried as a topper in her kibble and treats, so figure give it a shot. Oh man she woofed that gently cooked down. The package says 11oz for 20#, which is only 450 calories if I round it up to 12oz. Seems way too little since the food calculators say something like 650 range. Also, not to mention, this may put us into the poor house if she only eats these frozen packs.

Her current kibble is Nature's Logic Distinction. We want her to eat twice a day but she chooses not to eat in the mornings. We still set it out on time just in case but she usually wont eat her first serving of kibble until about 2-4pm. Sometimes even later at like 7pm.

So what we do is at 1pm, she gets 1/2 cup of her kibble and 4oz of Gently Cooked mixed in. I've tried feeding her this at 7, 8 , and 9am but eat rate is low. 1pm seems to be the go time for this dog with our schedule.
Then the 2nd serving is at 7pm. This will be 1/2 cup of kibble and 1/2 a cup of Open Farm freeze dried. Sometimes that bugger will only eat the topper but she'll come back an hr or 2 later to finish the bowl. The few times she hasn't, just add to next days serving. I hope I didn't jinx it.

So this is about 650 calories a day. We're monitoring to see if she gets too big or not and adjust accordingly. To me, she's on the thin side for a Frenchie but The vet has stated throughout that her size is perfect since frenchies can get overweight so easily.

Maybe just need to find the right food for your dog. Or maybe the will grow out of it.

🆕 Latest posts