Pet Insurance for Nares Surgery/BOAS?

Tyler

Reaction score
Hey there,

I'm a new frenchie owner and I'm just wondering if anyone has experience with pet insurance related to respiratory problems in their frenchie. My dog is four and a half months now and he doesn't seem to have any issues, but I'm worried about him developing problems as he grows more. Because all french bulldogs are obviously at risk of these issues I'm curious if pet insurance companies would actually cover things like nares or palate surgery. It's also not totally clear if that would be considered a routine necessary surgery or preventative? I was looking at Truepanion insurance as they cover congenital conditions. Please let me know if you have any experience with this.

Thanks!

Tyler

Reaction score
Oh it also might be worth mentioning that I'm in Canada if that makes any difference.

Thanks!

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to FBN... I do not have insurance, but keep a credit card just for pet emergencies. I tagged a few members that might have some insight

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to FBN... I do not have insurance, but keep a credit card just for pet emergencies. I tagged a few members that might have some insight

I have insurance for both my guys. It’s best to get it early on when they are young as no company will cover pre-existing conditions. So once something is diagnosed, it is considered pre-existing. I have Nationwide, formerly VPI, and I e never had any issues. They offer different plans. Last year I changed Jax to their whole pet with wellness and I’m glad I did as a month later he was diagnosed with IVDD and had an emergency surgery which was reimbursed at 90%. His allergy medications and acupuncture are also reimbursed at 90%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Squishy Walnuts

Reaction score
I'm in Ontario and I don't have insurance because the prices they quoted were way too high, but this was 6 years ago when I first got Wally. I think insurance might have changed and might be more affordable now.

FelixtheFrenchie

Reaction score
If you go with nationwide..be sure to read what each plan covers. I think we have the middle priced plan and they refused to cover the surgery and the 8 day icu stay due to a lung infection after.

TeresaW

Reaction score
I have Healthy Paws. it covered the surgery on both of my boys. The main thing is that it cannot be mentioned at all in the vet records. Most owners will tell the vets at the first appointment to please not put comments in the notes such as possible stenosis nares, since they cannot possibly make that assumption at such an early age.
If your vet has not made any notations about the possibility of needing this surgery in the future, you should be able to find an insurance that will cover it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk