Is it okay to have just one Frenchie?

Mschmidt

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 9 month old Frenchie and she is such a sweetheart! I am currently working from home but I wonder if she is bored and needs a friend. We’ve been toying with getting a second Frenchie but I am nervous about adding more stress to my plate with training a new pup. My question is, can Frenchie’s live a happy life as a solo dog? I have heard that Frenchies are better in 2’s so I wanted to get someone’s feedback with having just one Frenchie. Thank you!

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
I have 3 dogs, 1 Frenchie who will be 8 in April and 2 Bulldogs. We brought Louie home when Jax was 4 and we thought he was going to be soooo excited to have another dog to play with cause he loved going to daycare. Nope. He tolerates Louie but they are not best friends. He’ll play with him when he wants to but I think Jax would have been fine being an only dog. But one year ago we brought home Ella and Louie and Ella are best friends. I can tell Louie and Ella are better off with another dog. So I guess it just depends on the dog. And since yours is still a puppy, that might make a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mschmidt

Reaction score
Thank you so much! That was very helpful. Brooklyn is pretty good with other dogs and is also good with going to daycare but I do worry she may not be good if we add another puppy! If this second doesn’t work out, I guess I will have to add a third LOL

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Citty gave you great insight.... it really depends on the dog

Mschmidt

Reaction score
Thank you both! We are actually going to let Brooklyn meet the potential new puppy to see how she reacts. She’s always good with other dogs and people but that could also change when it’s a full time friend LOL. Wish us luck!

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Good luck and keep us posted!

Mschmidt

Reaction score
So we ended up getting another pup! Our girl, Brooklyn, is slowly adjusting to him [emoji23] He is a little whiner though. I’m having a hard time crate training and putting him in a pen. He cries like a dying goat [emoji2358]

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
I giggled at that last part. Congrats!

Let’s see some photos!

Mschmidt

Reaction score
c55995fbb49407d44e16d5717011e151.jpg

Brooklyn is the female brindle and Hudson is baby boy

Mschmidt

Reaction score
If you guys have any tips with crying and whining in the pen or crate, let me know! I live in an apartment so I don’t want to make my neighbors mad with his crying/whining. He seems to pee and poop in the crate. At night we just let him sleep in our bed with Brooklyn and he sleeps fine. Doesn’t even cry to pee or poop in the middle of the night so he can totally hold it for 8 hours which is weird. We don’t want the pups to get used to sleeping in our bed all the time. Not sure what else I can do!

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
If you guys have any tips with crying and whining in the pen or crate, let me know! I live in an apartment so I don’t want to make my neighbors mad with his crying/whining. He seems to pee and poop in the crate. At night we just let him sleep in our bed with Brooklyn and he sleeps fine. Doesn’t even cry to pee or poop in the middle of the night so he can totally hold it for 8 hours which is weird. We don’t want the pups to get used to sleeping in our bed all the time. Not sure what else I can do!

Try a dirty T-shirt with your scent on it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mschmidt

Reaction score
I will give that a try! Thank you

🆕 Latest posts