Saw a Frenchie being overworked in heat - what to do?

ScoutsOwner

Reaction score
Hello everyone! Since summer began, I have recently come across a few instances of Frenchies being overworked in intense heat/humidity. (90-100 degrees Fahrenheit)

Knowing that this is an extreme health risk to Frenchies, are there any actionable steps that we as Frenchie health/safety enthusiasts can take? I’ve done a lot of research but have noticed that most websites only mention reporting dogs left in hot cars - not dogs that are at risk outside.

Thank you in advance for any advice or thoughts! Much appreciated.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, you need to be careful and ensure your safety as well as the pup. depending on the situation it is not always a good idea to approach the owners

CutieFrenchie

Reaction score
Can you be more specific about these situations?

It was still low 80s here and I took Charlie to walk around the complex bc she was signaling she had to go poop. Of course she saw some bunnies and cats and went crazy. Halfway through, she's already panting quite a bit. It's only a little over 1/2 mile loop total. We'll walk in the grass or shade as much as possible.

Fortunately Charlie is fit, slender and breaths well.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score

It was still low 80s here and I took Charlie to walk around the complex bc she was signaling she had to go poop. Of course she saw some bunnies and cats and went crazy. Halfway through, she's already panting quite a bit. It's only a little over 1/2 mile loop total. We'll walk in the grass or shade as much as possible.

That temperature I don’t recommend walking the dog in. Especially Frenchies.

They can’t cool off as easily as other dog breeds, some people still walk them when it’s 33C out and that’s extremely hot for a dog of any breed.

ScoutsOwner

Reaction score

During both incidents it was over 90 degrees Fahrenheit and on a mountain trail with very little shade or grass. The trail has fairly intense incline and it almost seemed like the poor Frenchies were being dragged along as they struggled to get up the hills! :(

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
During both incidents it was over 90 degrees Fahrenheit and on a mountain trail with very little shade or grass. The trail has fairly intense incline and it almost seemed like the poor Frenchies were being dragged along as they struggled to get up the hills! :(
To be totally honest, a flat-face breed dog should not be out in 90 degree temperatures for extend people ... unfortunately they have very little ability to cool off like a long snout dog does. I've had four bulldogs over 20 years and we have never taken them out except for potty in 90 degree weather..... please be careful, they can get heat stroke VERY quickly

🆕 Latest posts