Wet Food

Bleu jackson

Reaction score
My 2 1/2 year old male Frenchie swallows dry dog food whole without chewing it up. Apparently much of it never makes it to his stomach. He then of course throws it up.
He was on Purina Salmon and Rice, Sensitive skin and stomach.
We switched to wet food, Purina Salmon and Rice and Hills Salmon and Vegitables. This seems to have solved the problem. I worry about his teeth now. Brushing them is pretty much impossible. Also this gets pretty expensive since the canned food runs about $3/can.
Two questions:
1. Is there a cheaper source for this food?
2. What do I do about his teeth? Putting him to sleep for teeth cleanings worries me.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
I would stay away from all kibbles for his situation.
Purina and hills are also mostly fillers so I don’t suggest those foods.

I would stay away from anything with fillers such as(corn, wheat, soy and by products and meals) listed in the ingredients list.

What I recommend is home cook for him such as beef with sweet potatoes. Or a store bought gently cooked or raw.

Bone broth is also a great suggestion to add(open farm has a great beef bone broth). This also soothes the gut too.

There is also gently cooked foods you can buy at pet stores(Open farm gently cooked is a easily digestible and high quality option) and there is Raised Right Human Grade gently cooked.
If you live in the US Open farm and The Raised right pet food both deliver I think.

These options(and raw food too) don’t have any preservatives in it and are better digested.

Both these gently cooked options are a decent price too and easily digestible especially for a sensitive and picky dog(my Frenchie is also very picky and sensitive).

All of those foods are completely balanced.

I cook for my Frenchie which he prefers cause he is picky, but I know it’s not something everyone is able to do.

Also raw food is another good option.

For the dental health,
Low carb cooked or raw food is less likely to cause plaque and tartar than processed high carb foods. High carb foods and processed foods feed the bad bacteria in their mouth too and that causes plaque and tartar.
A fresh low carb high quality food(the home cooked, the other 2 gently cooked options I listed above, and raw food) are all low carb which helps with inflammation too.

There is a supplement called Plaque Off powder which can just be added to the food and it works in the saliva to prevent plaque and help with existing plaque and tartar. I brush Rusty’s teeth which I try to do every night, and I have not tried the plaque off powder but heard great success with it.
Rusty has had no problems with plaque and tartar since being on low carb fresh gently cooked food(even the food I cook for him is low carb too).

Probiotics also help with gut health and dental health too.

Keep us updated!

Bleu jackson

Reaction score
Thanks, Arm and Hammer also sells tartar control, but we haven’t tried it.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Thanks, Arm and Hammer also sells tartar control, but we haven’t tried it.

For dental products, especially toothpaste and water additives there are lots of chemicals in them such as potassium sorbate, sodium benzoate, titanium dioxide, sorbitol(which is basically sugar additive), sodium Hexametaphosphate.

Mostly all those are known to cause organ damage and promote cancer.

It has taken me over 1 year to find a toothpaste that doesn’t contain any of those harmful chemicals and ingredients.

Black sheep organics toothpaste is a great choice I have been using it, it doesn’t have any harmful ingredients.
My picky Frenchie will only accept this toothpaste. It also freshens his breath!

Radius USDA organic canine dog toothpaste is another great toothpaste without any harmful ingredients in it.

You can also use coconut oil cause it’s antibacterial and anti fungal and helps with the bacteria in their mouth.

Do his teeth currently have tartar??

Keep us updated on what works for your Frenchie for the food😊

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
I would definitely try a better quality brand. I have 3 dogs and 2 are 100% raw Fed and the other gets Open Farm with Ancient Grains along with freeze dried raw mixed in and sometimes the Open Farm stew. I don’t brush their teeth but none of them have issues with plaque. They all chew in Nylabones or Benebone and sometimes they get raw frozen marrow bones, all which are good for teeth.

Bleu jackson

Reaction score
I can’t tell much about his teeth. Trying to examine them is like prying open a vise. I’m taking him to the vet this week. Hopefully they can check his teeth W/O putting him to sleep.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
We feed raw and give moose paddles, raw marrows bone and nylabones.

🆕 Latest posts