3yr old blue brindle with severe skin issues.

Freeholdnj

Reaction score
Hello, I am a brand new member and first time FBD owner. Apollo has severe skin problems which I cannot find a solid solution to cure. We've been to the vet several times and have had no long term relief. He's been on steroids several times which has helped a lot. But i know that's not the long term solution due to the side effects. If anyone has any ideas or solutions please feel free to comment. I heard Apoquel was and some sort of injection that possibly can be the magical medicine...thoughts?
We greatly appreciate your help and support 🙏🏻

Triggythefrenchie

Reaction score
Hello, I am a brand new member and first time FBD owner. Apollo has severe skin problems which I cannot find a solid solution to cure. We've been to the vet several times and have had no long term relief. He's been on steroids several times which has helped a lot. But i know that's not the long term solution due to the side effects. If anyone has any ideas or solutions please feel free to comment. I heard Apoquel was and some sort of injection that possibly can be the magical medicine...thoughts?

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome! Cytopoint is the shot you re most likely talking about. But, have your tried elimination diet? If feeding kibble a few things to avoid are chicken beef and potatoes.

Freeholdnj

Reaction score
Welcome! Cytopoint is the shot you re most likely talking about. But, have your tried elimination diet? If feeding kibble a few things to avoid are chicken beef

Welcome! Cytopoint is the shot you re most likely talking about. But, have your tried elimination diet? If feeding kibble a few things to avoid are chicken beef and potatoes.
Apollo has been only eating foods with fish or lamb now. Prior he was eating kibble and bits bistro. It's the only food that does not have chicken or chicken fat in the ingredients.

Triggythefrenchie

Reaction score
Hey, so sorry to hear this! We have been the same. I have recently discovered an amazing range of products called “douxo”
I use the foam application and now waiting on the shampoo as the reviews were great on this. I have been using the foam calming treatment and I must say I have seen an improvement so far and haven’t been using it long!
Triggy was on apoquel and it worked the first time but then it’s as if he got so used to it that it wasn’t as effective. We also were told by the vets it’s not recommended long term … and with a sarcastic tone said “ you have a Frenchbull dog, what do you expect”

That’s why us Frenchie parents need to stick together ☺️

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Apollo has been only eating foods with fish or lamb now. Prior he was eating kibble and bits bistro. It's the only food that does not have chicken or chicken fat in the ingredients.
Lamb can be a hot meat (meaning high allergen)… have you tried turkey or duck or even a more novel protein like goat or kangaroo? Zingnature brand has many single protein options and Open Farm is a really good brand to check out

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Chicken fat is not the same as chicken protein. But as Christine mentioned, lamb is a hot protein. My Frenchie can’t have turkey, lamb or duck. Zignature has a lot of novel proteins including goat. My 2 girls eat Open Farm with ancient grains and my 2 boys eat raw. I also use the Cytopoint injection as needed, every few months, for environmental allergies.

Freeholdnj

Reaction score
Chicken fat is not the same as chicken protein. But as Christine mentioned, lamb is a hot protein. My Frenchie can’t have turkey, lamb or duck. Zignature has a lot of novel proteins including goat. My 2 girls eat Open Farm with ancient grains and my 2 boys eat raw. I also use the Cytopoint injection as needed, every few months, for environmental allergies.
Now that you mentioned it, I was wondering if a raw diet would be the answer. In my research I found that raw protein and vegetables have mixed reviews for frenchie's.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Now that you mentioned it, I was wondering if a raw diet would be the answer. In my research I found that raw protein and vegetables have mixed reviews for frenchie's.
Raw is best if you are willing and can afford. Some good options are Steve’s, small batch, vital essentials and Primal. You can always find balanced recipes online as well.