Bland diet = orange poop?

CutieFrenchie

Reaction score
Little Charlie has an upset tummy. She's been fussy about eating lately but on Sunday night, she started having diarrhea. She'll wake us up about every 1.5 hours or so to go out. When she relaxed in bed, she would tremble/shiver when she inhaled. You could also hear her bubbly guts. After the 4th or 5th session, we were finally able to sleep for 5-6 hours straight.

monday morning, Didn't want to touch her food, which we figured. She's doing a self fast. She had a couple diarrhea episodes throughout the day but they were spread out and only a little of squirter. She did eat a little bit of Carna4 kibble Monday evening. Took her out and she had diarrhea at 11pm. 15 mins later, she wants to go back out. 15 min walk and nothing. Seemed more interested in hunting. 30 mins later and wants to go out again. I said nope. And she came back to bed. At like 2 am, she wakes up to go out again. This time she did go and it's still a liquid blob.

Tues morning, Charlie had a HUGE poop. It was soft serve but held its shape. Had some weight to it. She even ate some FreshPet for breakfast. Not much though. Later that day, there was diarrhea action and she had some blood in it.

Started the bland diet Tues evening. Boil chicken breast with jasmine rice. Gobbled that up quickly.

Weds, liquid diarrhea in morning . Then breakfast of bland. Orange mush poop in afternoon. Dropped off fecal sample to vet. Bland for dinner. No bedtime poop.

Thurs, no morning poop. Breakfast bland + 2 tablespoon of pumpkin puree. Vet visit and all tests negative and as far as they can tell, she's healthy. Bland + pumpkin for dinner. Finally pooped at like 8pm. Orange soft serve but holding shape. Just woke me up at 2am to go poop again. More orange serve but holding shit but this time a double serving. 2nd part was mush.

I remember Charlie went on a bland diet as a puppy years ago but I don't remember orange poop. Is the color normal?

Charlie was sluggish on Mon and Tues. So were we due to sleep interruptions. But since then, she acts like herself. Wants to play, cuddle, hunt. She's had no treats for a couple days. Just chicken, rice and now pumpkin.

Orange is probably from the pumpkin. When the vet tested her poo did you specifically asked for a giardia test? Most vets do always test for that parasite and it sounds like that could be a possibility.

Orange is probably from the pumpkin. When the vet tested her poo did you specifically asked for a giardia test? Most vets do always test for that parasite and it sounds like that could be a possibility.
It was turning orange before adding the pumpkin.

They did test for giardia since she's been sick.

IOpj19F.jpeg

We have a male dog, Henry, who seemed perfectly happy on a diet of chicken breast (baked with oil retained), pumpkin, white rice, bone broth, a spoonful of doggy acidophilus and some other mixed vegetables when he abruptly broke out in a rash and started pooping orange mush. His anal glands also started going off because his stool wasn’t firm enough to stimulate them while pooping. We immediately took the pumpkin out of his diet and tried a few different things before we settled on replacing the white rice with brown rice so his fibre levels were still nice and high, increasing the mixed veggies - peas, cauliflower,, carrots, beans, broccoli and putting a spoonful of dry milk powder in the mix - I can hear the disbelief already but you can’t argue with results. Henry is back to full health, nice firm, brown stools and doing zoomies up and down the beach with Rose.. This worked for Henry and is by no means a recommendation of any kind for other dogs. One of previous Frenchies had an allergy to chicken and all red meats so she ate the original recipe with mackerel as the protein.

Damn! How about coccidia?
I assume that's whatever ova and parasite testing includes?

So this started a week ago Sunday night. Her stool finally started to get more normal by Sat.

Today Monday morning, the color is almost back to normal. Only an ever so slight orange if that. Prob from pumpkin now. Charlie has been eating 1/4 cup of Carna4 kibble, tablespoon of pumpkin, a little bit of white rice and chopped boil chicken breast since Fri evening. The plan this evening will be 1/2 cup kibble, tablespoon pumpkin and rest of chicken. Then transition to only the kibble and remaining Freshpet. Eventually we're thinking of sticking with kibble only since she seems to like this one.

Thinking back, makes me wonder if we got a bad batch of Freshpet from Costco. We've only used FreshPet Vital nugget form from Petsmart and Petco for the past couple of years. A few months ago, we saw Costco had a bigger bag at a great value even though it was a different recipe. Gave it a try. Charlie liked it well enough but you could tell, she knew there was a difference and would sometimes not eat it without us putting on a topper of freeze dried.

Charlie was getting low on her normal stuff and happen to be in Costco and grabbed another bag. It was towards the end of this bag, about 2 weeks into that she started to get really fussy about eating. She did finish the bag eventually and we started her normal food and about halfway into that bag is when the diarrhea started flowing.

We do give her random kibble servings just to change things up and have her chew on hard food.

Maybe, maybe not. I personally would think if it really was this food, stomach issues would be onset immediately, not over several days before it starts up.

We were adding Carna4 duck kibble in the past. Ran out of it during the diarrhea episodes. Bought a the Carna4 soft chew Venison on Thurs and Charlie seems to love it. Or it could be she's just hungry from bland diet.

I assume that's whatever ova and parasite testing includes?

So this started a week ago Sunday night. Her stool finally started to get more normal by Sat.

Today Monday morning, the color is almost back to normal. Only an ever so slight orange if that. Prob from pumpkin now. Charlie has been eating 1/4 cup of Carna4 kibble, tablespoon of pumpkin, a little bit of white rice and chopped boil chicken breast since Fri evening. The plan this evening will be 1/2 cup kibble, tablespoon pumpkin and rest of chicken. Then transition to only the kibble and remaining Freshpet. Eventually we're thinking of sticking with kibble only since she seems to like this one.

Thinking back, makes me wonder if we got a bad batch of Freshpet from Costco. We've only used FreshPet Vital nugget form from Petsmart and Petco for the past couple of years. A few months ago, we saw Costco had a bigger bag at a great value even though it was a different recipe. Gave it a try. Charlie liked it well enough but you could tell, she knew there was a difference and would sometimes not eat it without us putting on a topper of freeze dried.

Charlie was getting low on her normal stuff and happen to be in Costco and grabbed another bag. It was towards the end of this bag, about 2 weeks into that she started to get really fussy about eating. She did finish the bag eventually and we started her normal food and about halfway into that bag is when the diarrhea started flowing.

We do give her random kibble servings just to change things up and have her chew on hard food.

Maybe, maybe not. I personally would think if it really was this food, stomach issues would be onset immediately, not over several days before it starts up.

We were adding Carna4 duck kibble in the past. Ran out of it during the diarrhea episodes. Bought a the Carna4 soft chew Venison on Thurs and Charlie seems to love it. Or it could be she's just hungry from bland diet.
Such science projects…. I’m happy she is doing better. It could very well have been something in the different fresh pet food … not necessarily bad but just didn’t agree with her

My Piglet was having stomach issues as well this week. Spit up once Monday morning, but stools seemed okay. Tuesday she spit up three times in the AM and orange "soft serve poop" as well. Gave her boiled chicken. She had the same poop at night. Wednesday, she spit up once, and the poop, while still orange, started out ok then ended up "soft serve". This morning, no spitting up, and poop getting a little better. She has not been lethargic at all, and definitely wants to eat. Lately she has been chewing on things that I have to take away from her. I'm wondering if she ate something that she shouldn't have.

My Piglet was having stomach issues as well this week. Spit up once Monday morning, but stools seemed okay. Tuesday she spit up three times in the AM and orange "soft serve poop" as well. Gave her boiled chicken. She had the same poop at night. Wednesday, she spit up once, and the poop, while still orange, started out ok then ended up "soft serve". This morning, no spitting up, and poop getting a little better. She has not been lethargic at all, and definitely wants to eat. Lately she has been chewing on things that I have to take away from her. I'm wondering if she ate something that she shouldn't have.
She is back to normal now.

🆕 Latest posts

Back