Bravo Homestyle Complete

kpromero

Reaction score
Does anyone use Bravo Homestyle Complete. Has 5 star rating and thinking about ordering some for Rosie to try. Currently using The Honest Kitchen Zeal which is dehydrated and Bravo is freeze dried and heard that freeze dried is actually better than dehydrated.

This is Beef formula
Beef, beef liver, sweet potatoes, chickpeas, beef hearts, beef kidney, beef spleen, green beans, cranberries, dried eggs, tricalcium phosphate, calcium carbonate, choline chloride, dried kelp, turmeric, rosemary, parsley, thyme, oregano, salt, mixed tocopherols (preservative), zinc proteinate, iron proteinate, copper proteinate, manganese proteinate, sodium selenite, calcium iodate, vitamin E supplement, thiamine mononitrate, niacin supplement, calcium pantothenate, biotin, vitamin A supplement, riboflavin supplement, vitamin B12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, vitamin D3 supplement, folic acid, rosemary extract.

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein (min %) 38.0
Crude Fat (min %) 13.0
Crude Fiber (max %) 5.0
Moisture (max %) 20.0
Calorie Information
Calorie Content (calc.) ME KCal/Kg 4,030 (by weight)
Calorie Content (calc.) ME KCal/Oz 114 (by weight)
Calorie Content (calc) ME KCal/Other 209/cup (both dry & rehydrated - by volume)

kpromero

Reaction score
Also could someone help me figure out how much to feed to maintain weight of 25 lbs. from information above. Their site suggest that an adult dog
should be fed 20 calories for each pound of body weight. so if i do 20 x 25 = 500 calories a day Thanks again for the advice and help

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
I feed Jax frozen raw and I know with that you should start with 2% of their body weight for the feeding amount and then take it from there. Jax is 30 pounds so he was getting 10 ounces a day broken into two meals (am and pm). He lost a couple of pounds so I went to 12 ounces a day but now I will drop it a little as I don't want him to gain too much weight.

kpromero

Reaction score
So from what i can tell with Bravo brand, Rosie would need 3 cups a day and there are 52 cups in a bag = would last 17 days @ $95 for a 6 lb. bag. Is this equal to actual feeding raw or is raw more expensive?

kpromero

Reaction score
This is information i received from them on feeding guidelines.
The Beef Homestyle is 207 Kcal/cup.

Agree with your calculation, would recommend feeding an active 25 lb. French Bulldog 3.5 cups per day given age - still a young and likely more active dog.
Below is the full calorie requirement breakdown (RER= resting energy requirement) data for dogs at various weights and life stages. You are not doing it wrong. Difference of Bravo versus HK is based on product density. There's is a granular product.Ours is much more chunks of the meat, organ meats etc- so their calorie content is concentrated (more per cup). We see the fact you can see all of the quality ingredients in ours is an advantage as they get more of their protein from dehydrated vegetable sources.We use a higher percentage of real meat, judged to be a better protein source.

Beef Homestyle Full Waltham Feeding.jpg

WeeDex

Reaction score
This may not be helpful as we are in the UK, but I just paid £60 / $75 for 45 days of frozen raw for Dexter. That's an 80/10/10 meat/bones/offal mix only. No veg. All grass fed, free range etc. It may be cheaper with you, so I'm sure you'll get a good comparison from someone soon.

We have just switched 2 weeks ago. It's a lot more than we were previously paying when he was on wet but I'm keen to try it for his allergies.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
I believe that freeze dried raw is more expensive than frozen raw. I buy 2 packs of bison patties online which equals 12 pounds of food and that costs me $117. I also use a brand called Vital Essentials which are frozen patties and I can get that at a local pet store. They have beef, chicken, wild boar, turkey, duck, and rabbit. The rabbit is the most expensive which is about $48 for 6 pounds of meat. Jax eats about 3 pounds of meat per week but I also mix in bison tripe with his food. I know you can also mix in quinoa or brown sprouted rice in order to cut down on the amount of meat to be more cost efficient.
[MENTION=380]KimB3384[/MENTION] posted in another thread that she just did a big order of raw online from Hare Today and I think she said it comes out to $50 a month. Maybe she can chime in here as well.

KimB3384

Reaction score
I looked at this link on their site and it seems like you'd feed 1.5 cup per day, which should adjust your cost per month.

You are correct in that freeze-dried is considered to be "better" than dehydrated in some circles. That's because in order to dehydrate the food you have to expose it to high heat and some people feel that the heating process destroys valuable nutrients. Some freeze-dried foods also use a method that's controversial - HPP (high-pressure pasteurization). It's not really heating, but it *is* a process done to the food that isn't done to regular frozen raw food.

I've never used Bravo's products. I have to be very vigilant about the ingredients in Beezy's diet. She can't do sweet potatoes, chickpeas, or many of those other added items. Those are all just food for her yeast.

I supplement frozen raw with canned because I'm A) lazy, and B) have a super delicate dog who can't always tolerate regular proteins. I go through a lot of canned bison tripe ($37.99 / 12 can case), canned alligator ($48 / 12 can case), and canned salmon ($29 / 12 can case), but I mainly use frozen raw rabbit and pork. Beezy eats at least twice what most dogs her weight would eat because her metabolism must be through the roof (or she has an undiagnosed ailment), so we eat 9 oz. of food per day. Her proteins are fairly expensive but I just placed a large order that will last us about 7 months and when I add in the cost of the canned food and average it out, it winds up being somewhere between $40-$50 per month. I can live with that. I was spending close to that on kibble and then spending five times that on vet visits to treat the yeast. I'm way further ahead now!

kpromero

Reaction score
I saw on their site also about feeding 1.5 cups a day but the math does not work for me. It has 209 kcal/cup so 1.5 cups to me would only be around 313 calories a day and seems too low. Was thinking about going raw and was wondering what you all are paying to do so and the best place to get it. I would also like to feed my other dogs the same. Total weight for all would be around 38 lbs total to feed raw if possible. Rosie is 25 lbs, 1 Chi at 8 lbs and another Chi at 4 lbs.

KimB3384

Reaction score
Each dog is different, so I think you'd want to start at the low end for a week or so and see how your dogs do and adjust accordingly. I feel Beezy's rib area every day - if I can barely feel them I know we're doing fine. If she feels a little bony I gradually add a little more food. Kinda like with your own diet.

As for frozen raw, you'd totally have to do some research but here are some very basic numbers. Please keep in mind that the amount you feed really depends on your dogs and their individual requirements. [MENTION=188]Cbrugs[/MENTION] feeds her dog 2% of its body weight. Beezy gets about 4% of her body weight because she's really active. The recommendation is about 2.5-3% so I used the lower number. Based on the weights you provided and multiplying by 2.5% you'd need 15 oz. of food per day (Rosie would need 10 oz. every day, Chi1 would need 3 oz., and Chi2 would need 2 oz.). Based on a general 30 day month, you'd go through about 28.5 lbs. of food (I rounded up a little bit). The place I get my food from (hare-today.com) has ground chicken with bones and organs mixed at the proper percentage for $6.78 per 2-lb. package. The packages come in other sizes as well, but I find that the 2-lb. ones are easy to handle and thaw so I just used those for a reference. You'd need 14 of them and that would run you $94.92, plus shipping. That price could go up if your dogs require more food or can't eat chicken.

You might have some local co-ops where you can get cheaper meats. I also posted a link to a video in another thread which shows how you can make your own raw at home using ground meat from the grocery store. If you don't have a large freezer where you can buy in bulk and you don't mind the prep work each week, you might find that to be a viable option. Let me know if you want the link here as well.

kpromero

Reaction score
Each dog is different, so I think you'd want to start at the low end for a week or so and see how your dogs do and adjust accordingly. I feel Beezy's rib area every day - if I can barely feel them I know we're doing fine. If she feels a little bony I gradually add a little more food. Kinda like with your own diet.

As for frozen raw, you'd totally have to do some research but here are some very basic numbers. Please keep in mind that the amount you feed really depends on your dogs and their individual requirements. [MENTION=188]Cbrugs[/MENTION] feeds her dog 2% of its body weight. Beezy gets about 4% of her body weight because she's really active. The recommendation is about 2.5-3% so I used the lower number. Based on the weights you provided and multiplying by 2.5% you'd need 15 oz. of food per day (Rosie would need 10 oz. every day, Chi1 would need 3 oz., and Chi2 would need 2 oz.). Based on a general 30 day month, you'd go through about 28.5 lbs. of food (I rounded up a little bit). The place I get my food from (hare-today.com) has ground chicken with bones and organs mixed at the proper percentage for $6.78 per 2-lb. package. The packages come in other sizes as well, but I find that the 2-lb. ones are easy to handle and thaw so I just used those for a reference. You'd need 14 of them and that would run you $94.92, plus shipping. That price could go up if your dogs require more food or can't eat chicken.

You might have some local co-ops where you can get cheaper meats. I also posted a link to a video in another thread which shows how you can make your own raw at home using ground meat from the grocery store. If you don't have a large freezer where you can buy in bulk and you don't mind the prep work each week, you might find that to be a viable option. Let me know if you want the link here as well.

WOW, thanks so much for the information and exactly what i was looking for. This would be around $100 cheaper that the Bravo Homestyle Complete and sounds like it would be actually better for them. None of them are allergic to my knowledge of any meats but Rosie will get bumps every now and then. I have tried Orijen in different flavors, Fromm in different flavors, Acana in different flavors with same results and none have cleared her bumps that she gets :( I am looking for the easiest way to do this and looks like your 2 lb packages may be it. Thinking that i could take one out at night and and place in fridge to defrost for next morning and evening meal and also have for following day. Do you think this would work and are they separated patties or do you have to measure in a measuring cup to give correct amount?

KimB3384

Reaction score
Happy to help :)

As for thawing, yes, that's what I do. One of the 2 lb. packages lasts me 8 days, so I don't have to thaw as frequently - I just wanted to let you know that the meat stays good for a long time. The meat comes in tube wrappers like how you might find ground beef or sausage packaged at the store. It's not in patties, so I have a scale that I use to weigh out and portion each meal at mealtime. I could get really efficient and make up a week's worth at one time but that just sounds like too much work (have I mentioned that I'm lazy). It also helps make it easier to adjust up or down if I need to.

Cost was the main reason I went this way. I started out using some Orijen freeze-dried, but that set me back $250/mo. Even the Vital Essentials was pricey because it came already portioned and they make you pay for that convenience. I was at around $120/mo. on that. This method has me at around $37, plus the cost of the canned stuff I add. You just can't beat that.

kpromero

Reaction score
Happy to help :)

As for thawing, yes, that's what I do. One of the 2 lb. packages lasts me 8 days, so I don't have to thaw as frequently - I just wanted to let you know that the meat stays good for a long time. The meat comes in tube wrappers like how you might find ground beef or sausage packaged at the store. It's not in patties, so I have a scale that I use to weigh out and portion each meal at mealtime. I could get really efficient and make up a week's worth at one time but that just sounds like too much work (have I mentioned that I'm lazy). It also helps make it easier to adjust up or down if I need to.

Cost was the main reason I went this way. I started out using some Orijen freeze-dried, but that set me back $250/mo. Even the Vital Essentials was pricey because it came already portioned and they make you pay for that convenience. I was at around $120/mo. on that. This method has me at around $37, plus the cost of the canned stuff I add. You just can't beat that.

I was trying to find a price on Vital Essentials but could not find any where. Just the freeze dried products. Do you add anything else to the food like a raw egg or fish oil daily? Patties would be nice just grab and place in bowl and not have to have a scale everytime to feed. Do you feed once a day or twice a day and split serving? What else should i be concerned about to make the switch? Thanks again for all your help

kpromero

Reaction score
Oh, a 2 lb pack would be 32 ounces right? and i could just leave the pack in fridge and take another out of freezer when need be?

kpromero

Reaction score
Hey KimB3384, check this out and tell me what you think?
https://lonestardogranch.squarespace.com/dog-ranch-raw-diet/dog-ranch-chicken-complete-ship-pack

$86.88
Our own custom formulation of a perfect raw diet for dogs.

45% Whole Chicken parts including bone.

15% Chicken Hearts

15% Beef Tripe

10% Chicken Liver

8% Sardines

7% Organic Eggs.

Sold in twelve 2 lb packages and comes frozen and requires thawing.

DO NOT THAW BY HEATING IN ANY WAY.

YOU DO NOT WANT THE BONES TO COOK, THEY HAVE TO REMAIN RAW.

All orders will be shipped on Mondays only and the cost of shipping is 22.00.

KimB3384

Reaction score
[MENTION=824]kpromero[/MENTION] - that looks absolutely fantastic. You could probably not do any better if you tried. Tripe is one of the absolute best things you can feed your pet - it's like the holy grail of enzymes. I'm bookmarking this page because if Beezy can eat venison, I am totally ordering from here. Is it weird that I just got giddy reading about this food? Raw does that to me.

And, yes, one 2-lb. package is 32 oz. You can leave it in the fridge until it's done and take a pack from the freezer when you're ready for another one. It will keep thawed for at least a week. I've had a package thawed for 10 days and it was still okay to feed.

I feed 3 times a day, just because she has always had stomach issues. The vet suggested 3 smaller meals at one point and I decided to try it this summer and it worked, so that's what we do. You can do whatever works for your dogs. I just happen to think it's nicer to feed at least twice a day. Like my dog is human or something. Yeah, I'm nuts.

I'm so excited for you! Please post and let us know how it goes. And, of course, post with any more questions you might have :)

You don't really need to worry about anything when making the switch, mainly because there aren't any "extra" ingredients in here. I did kibble one day and then the next day we did raw with absolutely no issues at all. [MENTION=188]Cbrugs[/MENTION] did the same thing. Open the package and go.

kpromero

Reaction score
[MENTION=824]kpromero[/MENTION] - that looks absolutely fantastic. You could probably not do any better if you tried. Tripe is one of the absolute best things you can feed your pet - it's like the holy grail of enzymes. I'm bookmarking this page because if Beezy can eat venison, I am totally ordering from here. Is it weird that I just got giddy reading about this food? Raw does that to me.

And, yes, one 2-lb. package is 32 oz. You can leave it in the fridge until it's done and take a pack from the freezer when you're ready for another one. It will keep thawed for at least a week. I've had a package thawed for 10 days and it was still okay to feed.

I feed 3 times a day, just because she has always had stomach issues. The vet suggested 3 smaller meals at one point and I decided to try it this summer and it worked, so that's what we do. You can do whatever works for your dogs. I just happen to think it's nicer to feed at least twice a day. Like my dog is human or something. Yeah, I'm nuts.

I'm so excited for you! Please post and let us know how it goes. And, of course, post with any more questions you might have :)

You don't really need to worry about anything when making the switch, mainly because there aren't any "extra" ingredients in here. I did kibble one day and then the next day we did raw with absolutely no issues at all. [MENTION=188]Cbrugs[/MENTION] did the same thing. Open the package and go.

I follow this group but did not realize they sold raw. I know they feed all their rescues and personal members raw. The ingredients intrigued me which is why I wanted to get your thoughts on it. Have not seen a formula mixed like this on other sites. Are there any major concerns I should be aware of before feeding raw. Just the word raw meats and thinking of them getting very ill from eating does cross mind like bacteria, e coli, etc happening

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
The saliva in your dogs mouth will kill any bacteria from the raw. Just make sure you thoroughly wash your hands and counters, etc. after handling the raw. And be sure to wash out the feeding bowl when done eating.

KimB3384

Reaction score
The acid content in a dog's stomach is different from ours. This prevents them from getting sick from bacteria unless their system is otherwise compromised. That's why your dog can go out, find a week-old deer carcass, chomp down on it, and still be fine.

Get lots of Clorox wipes - you'll use them. I totally get your concern. I was completely freaked out by the entire concept, which is why I dismissed it initially. But it was a smooth transition for both me and for Beezy. But once you see how thrilled your dogs are to get their meals, you don't even worry anymore. Just treat it like you would if you were handling raw meat for yourself. Hot, soapy water to clean up bowls and utensils, clorox wipes to wipe down all surfaces. Oh, you'll want to get some good freezer bags to keep the meat packages in when they're in the fridge. As you can imagine, there's a lot of blood in them and it WILL leak out and get all over everything. If you put the package into a freezer bag when you load it into the fridge, it'll catch anything that leaks and save your fridge. You can then pour it into the bowl with a meal or two - it's really, really healthy for them.

kpromero

Reaction score
Thanks again Cbrugs and KimB3384. A friend i was taking to about actually brought hers to the vet today and asked about raw. He told her dont do it and he does not recommend feeding this way is pretty much all she told me.