Coconut oil for shedding?

I Love Louie

Reaction score
I am trying Coconut oil for Louie's coat I've heard it helps for shedding and stuff and they say it has a lot of other great health benefits. However it's kind of thick like shortening am I supposed to melt it and pour it on his food or just mix it in like it is?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
I guess it just depends on how he likes to eat it. I don't know if heating it up would kill some of the nutrients.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Salmon oil is good for the skin/coat as well. I was mixing coconut oil in Jax's food for awhile but the vet told me to switch to salmon oil because Jax is a bit on the "hefty" size and he thought the calorie intake might be more than he needs.

Julie Stevenson

Reaction score
Salmon oil is good for the skin/coat as well. I was mixing coconut oil in Jax's food for awhile but the vet told me to switch to salmon oil because Jax is a bit on the "hefty" size and he thought the calorie intake might be more than he needs.

LOL Hefty. Poor Jax. He's not hefty...he's stocky and handsome!

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
I am trying Coconut oil for Louie's coat I've heard it helps for shedding and stuff and they say it has a lot of other great health benefits. However it's kind of thick like shortening am I supposed to melt it and pour it on his food or just mix it in like it is?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I often thought about this too.... so, I just use fish oil pills ;)

ForestDweller

Reaction score
Coconut oil can be fed as is... No need to melt it. Most dogs (mine included) take it in chunk form off a spoon.

As for adding weight, it actually has the opposite effect as it has thermogenic properties. In fact, at high doses, it can cause hyperthyroidism (over active thyroid) . There is a ton of great info out there about the benefits of coconut oil on the net. Just make sure that you buy cold pressed unfiltered variety.

Alice Kable

Reaction score
Buster eats a chunk of coconut oil off a spoon everyday. He loves it!

rdhy2k

Reaction score
I myself have started cookie with it. Has a lot of great benefits.