Eating grass and leaves

Mechadogzilla

Reaction score
Sep 2018
Eating grass and leaves
Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone has dealt with or has some advice for an issue I am currently having with my 15 week old puppy. He is not a Frenchie, but I have read so much great advice here that I thought someone might have some info. Lately, he has become obsessed with eating grass and leaves. I know that sometimes dogs eat grass to help their stomachs or to induce vomiting. However, i do not believe that is the case here. He does not vomit any of it up, and I am sure that he is getting enough to eat as he sometimes doesn’t even finish his food. He is also on a probiotic (benebac) if that matters. Anytime I take him out to go to the bathroom, he will soon get sidetracked and begin eating grass, leaves, or mulch. It doesn’t matter where in the yard that I take him; he exhibits the same behavior.

He was doing very well with potty training a couple of weeks ago but has regressed significantly as once he begins to eat grass, he will not go potty. I try to lure him away from eating grass with treats or take him on 15 minute walk before taking him to relieve himself. He will always end up eating grass or leaves and refuse to go potty. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Alice Kable

Reaction score
Some dogs just like to graze! I tell our dogs to leave it when they eat grass because I don't like to pull it out of their bottom when it doesn't make it all the way through. It also gives them the runs.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
You can try teaching the leave it command. Louie my bulldog will go in the backyard and just eat the bark chips outside and I have no idea why.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

frenchbulldogfan1

Reaction score
What I heard from many vets was to let it be. They told me dogs are prone to grass, especially in the spring when its really fresh. They told me to leave it.

My frenchie loves grass too, though he does throw up sometimes. I noticed that he eats it only when he is hungry, mostly in the morning.

Alice Kable

Reaction score
You can try teaching the leave it command. Louie my bulldog will go in the backyard and just eat the bark chips outside and I have no idea why.

Buster likes bark chips too!

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
A lot of them love to eat grass and leaves. Coup loves to play with the leaves as well.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Not really an issue.. just something they like to do