Elevated ALT Liver Enzyme

turbodave

Reaction score
Congratulations !!! Was the liver failure coming from dental infection , and just took a while to resolve ?

We really don't know, but if I had to guess, it was either that or the dental water addative we started using immediately after her dental treatment. The dental water treatment was Clenz-a-dent and contains among other things, propylene glycol and glycerin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
So Glad to hear your dog is getting better. I've been using seaweed ascophyllum nodosum for my dog's teeth, in a product called PlaqueOff, and so far she seems to be healthy with no real difference in appearance of teeth. I noticed Clenz A Dent comes in a product with the seaweed, called Clenz A Dent food additive, which is similar to PlaqueOff, and another product called Clenz A Dent mouth rinse, which is what you must have been using. I wonder if the rhubarb, glycerin, and propylene glycol were synergistically toxic to your dog's liver? Rhubarb stalks are safe, but the leaves contain oxalate and can cause kidney failure, not liver failure, but who knows if that combination was bad for your dog .

blushy

Reaction score
Poor Cookie and Poor Bitty!

What are these poor babies livers doing!

I hope both doggies make full recoveries with no further incidents! ❤️

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
So happy your baby is getting better. :)

turbodave

Reaction score
An update on Bitty...
To remind everyone. On Nov 21st at her most critical point when she had stopped eating and was vomiting. The ALT test that day was at 2,327 !!
She was immediately admitted to our vet's hospital for a 5 day stay and put on constant IV fluids (lactaded ringers), and Denamerin pills in an effort to save her.
On Nov. 28, after she came off the constant IV, the blood test that day showed her ALT had dropped to 1295. A step in the right direction.
So we then went in every Mon, Wed, and Fri for fluid injection under the skin instead of always trying to invade a vein. And staying on the Denamerin.
During todays fluid injection the blood test shows the ALT has come down to 882. Continued IMPROVEMENT!!
Physically and emotionally she is 100% back to normal, and starting next week we will only have to have the fluid injections twice a week for while, and maybe after more improvement, down to once a week.
We're keeping our fingers crossed, but things are looking up!!
Thanks for everyone's prayers and well wishes!!

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
An update on Bitty...
To remind everyone. On Nov 21st at her most critical point when she had stopped eating and was vomiting. The ALT test that day was at 2,327 !!
She was immediately admitted to our vet's hospital for a 5 day stay and put on constant IV fluids (lactaded ringers), and Denamerin pills in an effort to save her.
On Nov. 28, after she came off the constant IV, the blood test that day showed her ALT had dropped to 1295. A step in the right direction.
So we then went in every Mon, Wed, and Fri for fluid injection under the skin instead of always trying to invade a vein. And staying on the Denamerin.
During todays fluid injection the blood test shows the ALT has come down to 882. Continued IMPROVEMENT!!
Physically and emotionally she is 100% back to normal, and starting next week we will only have to have the fluid injections twice a week for while, and maybe after more improvement, down to once a week.

Excellent news! Glad to here she is feeling better.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
An update on Bitty...

great news!!

Jakeyjake

Reaction score
An update on Bitty...

Such great news! Glad she is improving:)

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
Just wondering if your vet did extensive workup to find the cause- that would include in humans ( not sure if same in dogs ), I'm just pasting from a medical text:
1)Blood test for Autoimmune markers (antinuclear antibody, antismooth muscle antibody, anti-liver/kidney microsomal antibody type 1, immunoglobulin levels
2)Blood test for Viral hepatitis serologies (anti-hepatitis A IgM, hepatitis B surface antigen, anti-hepatitis B core IgM, anti-hepatitis C virus antibodies, hepatitis C RNA, anti-herpes simplex virus antibodies, anti-varicella zoster antibodies)
3)Imaging with abdominal Doppler ultrasonography should be obtained to look for evidence of Budd-Chiari syndrome, portal hypertension, hepatic steatosis, hepatic congestion, and underlying cirrhosis
4)Ceruloplasmin level in patients suspected of having Wilson disease. However, serum ceruloplasmin may be normal or elevated in the setting of acute liver failure, so if there is significant concern for Wilson disease, a liver biopsy may be required.

turbodave

Reaction score
[MENTION=2210]Cookie[/MENTION] we haven't heard an update lately, how are things going??

For Bitty, the news just keeps getting better. Her ALT numbers today have dropped all the way down to 359, more improvement from last weeks 882!

blushy

Reaction score
[MENTION=2210]Cookie[/MENTION] we haven't heard an update lately, how are things going??

For Bitty, the news just keeps getting better. Her ALT numbers today have dropped all the way down to 359, more improvement from last weeks 882!

Yay bitty! You sweet girl!

Also wondering how OPs dog is doing.

turbodave

Reaction score
Bitty's news just keeps getting better. From her last 359 ALT value, today it's down to 240!

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
So glad to hear Bitty doing better ! Are you feeding a special diet? I've read a low copper diet is recommended- beef, white fish, cheese and eggs are best sources of protein. A dog food with oatmeal in it is great also since oatmeal is a soluble fibre which removes ammonia so the liver doesn't have to process it.

nikkidome

Reaction score
Did you ever determine the original cause of Bitty's high ALT? We have a 15 month old Frenchie, Marley, that has had a similar chain of events. He's now at 2600+ ALT and going for an ultrasound this week. He's acting totally normal. He has been on Denamarin and 2 rounds of antibiotics but his numbers keep climbing.

azoul

Reaction score
What you explained is exactly what my little Duke is going through right now. I do not know why. I took him to get neutered the other day and he was unable to do the surgery because of an elevated ALT at 215. He is highly energetic, eats and drinks normally, goes to the bathroom regularly-I just dont see any abnormalities. I dont understand what it could be and it makes me so sad.

mhuinker

Reaction score
Hello!

Cookie, my Frenchie born February 7th, has had her spaying delayed due to an elevated ALT Liver Enzyme. The normal range is 120 and she’s testing around 545. As I understand it, ALT leaks from damaged cells, so it could be a liver issue, or it could be something else. Other than her elevated ALT, her liver function is testing normal. She’s active, energetic, doesn’t drink or eat excessively, and is in entirely good health otherwise. Though I should note that she sheds quite a bit - sometimes it seems like handfuls at a time.

The vet has suggested proceeding with a test to determine her blood clotting times (as liver function can slow clotting) and has suggested a liver biopsy.

Has anyone had this same experience? I’m seeking wisdom from experienced Frenchie owners! Could diet play a part? She’s been on NutriSource puppy kibble (I add a little Flax Oil and FortiFlora). I’ve read that some Frenchies have trouble processing certain types of protein – could this be the culprit and could a diet change be needed? If so, any suggestions? I’d read rave reviews about raw diets, or a half-raw half-kibble diet.

Any insights very appreciated!!

Laura

Hi Laura - Yes, we have a Frenchie, our Bitty, that is/was in liver failure about 2 years ago. There could be any range of things that could cause this and no one can really pinpoint the culprit. Bitty tested as high as 2000+ at her worst. She spent 5 days in the vet's care on IV fluids. Once she was stabalized, our vet put her on Denamarin, which she will take for the rest of her life. She also has fluids twice a week for the rest of her life. Thankfully our vet is wonderful. She saved her life. She also does not charge an office visit every time we take her in for fluids, but we also do give her fluids ourselves sometimes. It's heartbreaking, but right now we are thankful she is still with us and is a happy, easy going, playful 8 year old little girl.

Bitty is on a half raw, half kibble diet, always has been. We don't believe that is the culprit, but again, no one really knows. Her numbers are ranging more normal now, but once in a while they will "Spike" up to the 300-500 range. We don't have her tested as often any longer and just keep her maintenance up.

I forgot to mention she did have x-rays and ultrasound of her liver, but I don't remember her having any biopsies.

-Michelle

Bitty 6.JPG

Cookie

Reaction score
Did you ever determine the original cause of Bitty's high ALT? We have a 15 month old Frenchie, Marley, that has had a similar chain of events. He's now at 2600+ ALT and going for an ultrasound this week. He's acting totally normal. He has been on Denamarin and 2 rounds of antibiotics but his numbers keep climbing.

Did you happen to figure out what was going on with Marley? Now both of my Frenchies have elevated ALT!

- - - Updated - - -

What you explained is exactly what my little Duke is going through right now. I do not know why. I took him to get neutered the other day and he was unable to do the surgery because of an elevated ALT at 215. He is highly energetic, eats and drinks normally, goes to the bathroom regularly-I just dont see any abnormalities. I dont understand what it could be and it makes me so sad.

Did you happen to find out what was going on with Duke? Now both of my Frenchies have very elevated ALT.