Head Tilt on New Puppy - should I be worried?

mmeyer

Reaction score
We got a new member to the family, Remy, and she is 9 weeks today! We took her to the vet for her puppy wellness check and the vet had a concern she was leaning to the left quite a bit. When we picked her up a few times she would lean to the left, that seemed to have stopped (and I think it's just because she was squirming out of our arms) but now we've noticed she does have a head tilt majority of the time. The vet checked her eardrums and said they were both intact and does not appear to have an ear infection or is itching it. She will walk straight and not in circles, she doesn't have any balance issues or loss of appetite. Other than the head tilt, completely healthy puppy!

He recommended we take her to the neurologist and we are just not sure if we want to do that and put her through all the stress of multiples tests, and not to mention it's very expensive. Not sure if anyone had experience with this and maybe it will go away or she just has a crooked head? As long as she is healthy we do not care but just concerned it will effect her down the road. Or maybe we go get a second opinion from another vet before we consider the neurologist? I just think she is also pretty young and still developing. She was brought to us via plane, we also thought maybe her ears are clogged from the plane and pressure of being in the air.

Any advice would be appreciated! Here are some pictures of her below, one where she has the head tilt and other times she does not. Apologize for the turned pictures, can't figure out how to make them vertical

IMG_4363.JPG

IMG_4334.jpg

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Totally adorable..... I have no experience, but my first thought was deep ear infection and you stated the vet that out, so let’s hope it pass and it is from the plane trip

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Squishy Walnuts

Reaction score
I would have guessed an ear infection too. I agree, keep an eye and see if she continues the behaviour or not. She sure is a cutie!!

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
I suppose if it doesn't go away or gets worsen you can try a neurologist.

mmeyer

Reaction score
No signs of deafness, we had a second vet look at her and she said no signs of neurological issues (without doing an MRI) but she walks normally (no falling down or walking in circles) and her responsiveness is good. Possibly a weird reason could be if she was turned left in her mom's womb and she could just favor that side. The vet said we could take her to a neurologist but she doesn't think it's necessary. We may just keep an eye on it, her head tilt has actually gotten better and is still slightly there so maybe we are overreacting but we just want to take the right steps to prevent anything serious happening.

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
I'm thinking it could be an ear issue too, maybe from the plane ride. Hopefully it will go away soon. Since she walks straight, I don't think it is neurological.

EveB

Reaction score
Hey there,

New to the forum but have the same issue. I see this post is 2 years old so how is your pup doing? did you figure out the issue? did it resolve?

Thank you in advance!