Help 16 week old Frenchies ears are cracking and bled

mommatosbvjlb

Reaction score
Help my 16 week old puppy is having ear issues. Since the day we got her her ears have almost looked like cauliflower along the outer edges. We got a prescription for a topical ointment and it all kind of fell off. Fast forward two weeks, the got worse with cracking and bleeding during playtime with her pup sister. Back to the vet last week and we got an antibiotic or a possible skin infection. They look a little better now but still have that dry cauliflower look. One ear is starting to fold back at the tip. I am putting coconut oil or a natural pet skin soother on them. It’s starting to freak me out. We have an appointment in a few weeks for a dermatologist but my fear is over medicating. She is mostly and will soon be on an all raw diet. She was sent home with crappy kibble. Has anyone dealt with this?

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
That looks like hyperkeratosis. Interesting that it’s showing up in such a young puppy.
[MENTION=2]2bullymama[/MENTION] [MENTION=2100]Honeys Owners[/MENTION]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
View attachment 13455View attachment 13455
Here is what I am dealing with. Makes me sad for her.

That looks like hyperkeratosis. Interesting that it’s showing up in such a young puppy.
[MENTION=2]2bullymama[/MENTION] [MENTION=2100]Honeys Owners[/MENTION]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is totally what it is... hyperkeratosis. There was another pup that had it on here about a year ago... I’ll see if I can find the thread, it is not an infection and it is not dangerous or painful, it is just cosmetic, I believe.

Found the thread.... I also think switching to raw will help

Possible Allergies?
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...ognews.com/showthread.php?t=6099&share_type=t

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mommatosbvjlb

Reaction score
That is totally what it is... hyperkeratosis. There was another pup that had it on here about a year ago... I’ll see if I can find the thread, it is not an infection and it is not dangerous or painful, it is just cosmetic, I believe.

Found the thread.... I also think switching to raw will help

Possible Allergies?
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...ognews.com/showthread.php?t=6099&share_type=t

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you!! I am checking it out now.

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
Agree- Looks exactly like ear margin hyperkeratosis. Vet should do a biopsy to rule out other causes such as vasculitis and mange just in case. Assuming it's the hyperkeratosis /seborrhea then a shampoo like duoxo seborrhea shampoo, or another medicated shampoo with tar, sulphur, salicylic acid, selenium sulphide, or benzoyl peroxide would be good. And definitely try a hypoallergenic diet like frozen raw duck.

mommatosbvjlb

Reaction score
Agree- Looks exactly like ear margin hyperkeratosis. Vet should do a biopsy to rule out other causes such as vasculitis and mange just in case. Assuming it's the hyperkeratosis /seborrhea then a shampoo like duoxo seborrhea shampoo, or another medicated shampoo with tar, sulphur, salicylic acid, selenium sulphide, or benzoyl peroxide would be good. And definitely try a hypoallergenic diet like frozen raw duck.

Thanks for the tips. I am fully transitioning her to raw. She was checked for mange once but I will have her rechecked. Hopefully process of elimination will help with her symptoms