HELP - Ollie showed his first AGGRESSION!

Julie Stevenson

Reaction score
Well I did not think I would see the day that my sweet SUBMISSIVE boy would be aggressive, but today's the day. Batman was fed with all his litter mates eating out of the same bowl so it was natural for him to want to eat out of Ollie's bowl, but that was a huge mistake! Ollie went after him and I was right there standing over them so I was able to separate last night. It was not too bad last night but the morning was a different scenario. I was getting the food ready and Ollie's eating area is right next to the food so I was getting the food into the bowls up above where they eat so no food was down yet and Batman came over to see what I was doing and Ollie grabbed him and ran him about 4 feet from where I was! Batman was screaming I thought for sure he was hurt. Thankfully not a scratch on him. He cried for a while even after I picked him up. He was really scared. Both boys are fine and went right back to normal play after eating time was over. So it's just normal food guarding. Ollie does not guard from me or any humans, or the bigger dogs. Course I feed all dogs in separate corners of the garage because our Boxer also food guards. I'm alwasy out there when they eat to make sure nothing happens.

So I'm trying to think through my options, Obviously I need to keep Batman away from Ollie's eating area. So do I move the food storage to a new location away from Ollie's eating area? Batman also is a normal puppy and wants to see what's in everyone else s bowls so I'm thinking I get out a crate and just start feeding him in the crate for everyone's safety. Right? That makes the most sense to me since Batman has been conditioned to eat out of the same bowl as other dogs and 2 of my boys will guard their food and will fight.

But here's what I'm struggling with. How do I prepare their food without Ollie getting aggressive? He has not done this before. I'm not sure if it's because I'm preparing the food right where he eats so he's being protective of his eating space? I guess I will move the food tonight and watch him carefully for cues. If he starts staring or freezes when Batman gets close I will know he's just getting anxious about food time. So then what do I do. Maybe leave them all inside while I fix thier food in the garage and then let them out all at once? I have always prepared their food in the garage and it's never been a problem, but come to think of it. Ollie stands right next to me and tank stands at the door which is not close and Tucker over by HIS bowl. So no one is invading Ollie's eating space until now. Hmmmm I'm thinking through this while I'm typing,.

Thoughts, suggestions, ideas are all welcome. I have to make sure the bullies are not being bullies! LOL

MamaAndi

Reaction score
Stella is a real booger about food. I have taken to feeding her in her crate. She knows that no bowls will be set down until she walks into her crate and sits down.

When we first saw her have these issues though, I always made sure Tank got his food first and I made Stella wait and watch so she would know where she was in the pecking order so to speak.

Jakeyjake

Reaction score
Our Stella has had food guarding issues for quite some time. I feel like we have tried everything and it is sometimes frustrating. She would not eat at all when we tried to feed her in her pen and she would just pounce on the sides aggressively. She was more concerned about guarding her food than eating it! She seems to have gotten better with age (7 1/2 mos) and like Andi, we feed Jake first while Stella looks on and then we feed Stella, after she sits of course. Good luck and hopefully your puppy will learn where his spot is at the dinner table. Maybe he will be fine in his crate eating.

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
Well either make Ollie stay away from the food prep. area, or crate Batman when you are fixing the bowls. Every once in awhile one of ours will get too excited at food prep. time and the scuffle starts, so usually a few days after that we will make the one who started it, stay back or just put them up. You know what to look for and will nip this in the bud soon, I'm sure.

Julie Stevenson

Reaction score
Thanks team!

I'm gonna go home, move the food prep area to a new location and will build a crate and feed Batman in there. Ollie will go from first to last in the food hand out and will go back to sitting for his meal. He's gotten spoiled a little too much I think. Thanks for all the advice. I will let you know how it goes. :)

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
The gang gave great advice.... good luck and make sure to stay consistent and keep in mind, they are like toddlers, give an inch and they will take the mile. i have a 9 yr old Bulldog, that we can NEVR give the inch too, she will always go the extra as soon as she senses we gave in.

also, read the link 'Nothing in life is free'... great tool that can make life a lot easier for you all.

Alice Kable

Reaction score
You have received all good advice; Batman needs to learn to leave the other dogs' food alone, too!