Hind leg weakness

Lorib24

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I was wondering if anyone has a similar experience with their Frenchie and can offer some suggestions or advice. For the last 7 months my 5 year old frenchie has been experiencing hind leg weakness. It started with him not being able to jump up on the couch anymore. He gets around fine but walks funny with his hind legs windmilling. He has been on antibiotics, doxycycline, and prednisone. He goes to PT for strengthening. He’s been to the neurologist and has had MRI, comprehensive bloodwork, and CSF spinal fluid testing. Everything is negative. The mri showed a white area inside the spinal cord in the center of his spine. Now the neurologist said she has no idea what it is and there’s nothing else she knows to do. Has anyone experienced anything similar and have success with any treatment? Thank you for any advice or suggestions you may have to offer.

Have any of the doctors suggested red light laser therapy? I’ve used it for the same reason for probably 8-9 years on my boy, it has kept him going. He is 13 now but lost most muscles in his rear legs but we still do the laser on his spine to keep any pain at bay. Also, look into acupuncture.. it also helped Cheli for a period of time

Have any of the doctors suggested red light laser therapy? I’ve used it for the same reason for probably 8-9 years on my boy, it has kept him going. He is 13 now but lost most muscles in his rear legs but we still do the laser on his spine to keep any pain at bay. Also, look into acupuncture.. it also helped Cheli for a period of time
Yes, we do the red light laser therapy when he gets PT. It has definitely helped. I will look into acupuncture. Thank you for the suggestion.

Degenerative Myelopathy?? That can show white lesions on/in the spinal cord. Myabe go for a second opinon? Did they do an MRI of his brain or just his spinal cord/back? My 4 year frenchie experienced something similar, however his turned out to be Granulomatous meningoencephalomyelitis (GME). His MRI of the brain lit up, but labs and spinal fluid all came back negative as well. Now being treated with Cytarabine and prednisone. We are 3 months into treatment and looking really good so far. I hope your furbaby is feeling better soon!

Hiya, could you tell me what red laser light you have please. We want to get one for our frenchie but unsure which ones best.
Thank you

Hiya, could you tell me what red laser light you have please. We want to get one for our frenchie but unsure which ones best.
Thank you
Sorry for delayed response…. we go to our vet office every two weeks, it costs $22 per session

Back