Rusty- help please!!

Mavis

Reaction score
It’s not your fault, hopefully he will know he gets treats for peeing outside and nothing for going inside, he is a smart dog like Rusty he should figure it out soon hopefully.

Rusty doesn’t really have any limitations or boundaries or rules either.
God bless!

Mavis

Reaction score
@Mavis

Rusty says I’m still tired I don’t want to get out of bed!

View attachment 15935
That dog is an absolutely angel!!! He has the perfect body and markings. They are just the sweetest things!

Here's Jelly. Most of my pictures are of him sleeping, otherwise, videos of him playing with Petey. He will be six months old next week (15.4 lbs. currently).

Attachments

• Jelly - 7-27-22.jpg
    Jelly - 7-27-22.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 5

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
That dog is an absolutely angel!!! He has the perfect body and markings. They are just the sweetest things!

Here's Jelly. Most of my pictures are of him sleeping, otherwise, videos of him playing with Petey. He will be six months old next week (15.4 lbs. currently).

Thanks, they definitely are the sweetest things.
He is so cute! What a adorable boy Jelly is.

Thanks for sharing the photo😊

It sounds like he may be small like Rusty, not much bigger, Rusty was 15 lb at 6 months.
Time flies, I can’t believe Jelly is gonna be 6 months already in a week😊

Mavis

Reaction score
Thanks, they definitely are the sweetest things.
He is so cute! What a adorable boy Jelly is.

Thanks for sharing the photo😊

It sounds like he may be small like Rusty, not much bigger, Rusty was 15 lb at 6 months.
Time flies, I can’t believe Jelly is gonna be 6 months already in a week😊
I wish Jelly's body were shorter and more compact. He has a big chest and a skinny waist and fanny.

Mavis

Reaction score
I wish Jelly's body were shorter and more compact. He has a big chest and a skinny waist and fanny.
Here is a picture of Jelly, taken today. He will be six months old in six days. He weighs 15.4 lbs. He is so long and skinny! I wish his length would stop growing but I don't know. In many respects, he has many classic frenchie features. In others, he does not.

Attachments

• Jelly - 7-12-22.jpg
    Jelly - 7-12-22.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 7

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Here is a picture of Jelly, taken today. He will be six months old in six days. He weighs 15.4 lbs. He is so long and skinny! I wish his length would stop growing but I don't know. In many respects, he has many classic frenchie features. In others, he does not.
He is cute!!

He is a little longer Frenchie like Rusty’s mom was. He still looks like a Frenchie but a longer Frenchie like Rusty’s mom.

Hopefully he fills out more😊

So he acts like a Frenchie but other features he isnt? Is it just his personality that some is a Frenchie personality and sometimes he doesn’t act like a Frenchie??

he is still very cute though😊

He probably won’t be much bigger than Rusty weight wise, Rusty is 22 lb.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score

Here is a photo of Rusty’s mom. I just went thru all the photos from the breeder to find this.

She is a long Frenchie like Jelly.
She was very long and not wide. Rusty took after his dad, short and compact😊
1657660754952.jpeg

Mavis

Reaction score
He is cute!!

He is a little longer Frenchie like Rusty’s mom was. He still looks like a Frenchie but a longer Frenchie like Rusty’s mom.

Hopefully he fills out more😊

So he acts like a Frenchie but other features he isnt? Is it just his personality that some is a Frenchie personality and sometimes he doesn’t act like a Frenchie??

he is still very cute though😊

He probably won’t be much bigger than Rusty weight wise, Rusty is 22 lb.
No, I would say his personality is 100% frenchie. He is a doll - very affectionate, snuggly, gentle and comical. His body type, however, is too long.

Mavis

Reaction score
Here is a photo of Rusty’s mom. I just went thru all the photos from the breeder to find this.

She is a long Frenchie like Jelly.
She was very long and not wide. Rusty took after his dad, short and compact😊
View attachment 15939
Oh, she's beautiful and looks "thicker" in the body than Jelly, although Jelly is still a pup. I hope his waist fills in a little. He is still growing. Do you know at what age they are fully grown?

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Oh, she's beautiful and looks "thicker" in the body than Jelly, although Jelly is still a pup. I hope his waist fills in a little. He is still growing. Do you know at what age they are fully grown?

They are fully done growing at age 2, but most of that is them filling out.

Mavis

Reaction score
They are fully done growing at age 2, but most of that is them filling out.
Well, if Jelly does get any longer and "fills" out, he's going to weigh a ton! My husband just measured him and he is 19". Not sure if that is head to tail, or shoulder to back. I'll have to get a measurement myself so I know for sure.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Well, if Jelly does get any longer and "fills" out, he's going to weigh a ton! My husband just measured him and he is 19". Not sure if that is head to tail, or shoulder to back. I'll have to get a measurement myself so I know for sure.
From Rusty’s neck where a collar would sit to his tiny tail is 12.5-13”

Hopefully he just fills out and doesn’t get longer😊

He will likely just get a little wider and probably not any longer.

Mavis

Reaction score
From Rusty’s neck where a collar would sit to his tiny tail is 12.5-13”

Hopefully he just fills out and doesn’t get longer😊

He will likely just get a little wider and probably not any longer.
I'll measure Jelly myself and see what he is. His father was extremely long. I found him to have an unusual body type for a frenchie. I love Jelly and wouldn't trade him - he is so sweet - but I should have searched more for a frenchie whose parents looked more typical. I waited so long to get a frenchie puppy but I was hasty after losing Bambi and there aren't a lot of frenchies around here. I have a feeling he is going to keep growing.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
I'll measure Jelly myself and see what he is. His father was extremely long. I found him to have an unusual body type for a frenchie. I love Jelly and wouldn't trade him - he is so sweet - but I should have searched more for a frenchie whose parents looked more typical. I waited so long to get a frenchie puppy but I was hasty after losing Bambi and there aren't a lot of frenchies around here. I have a feeling he is going to keep growing.

Going back thru photos of Rusty as a pup, he was at his full length @7-8months old.

They basically just fill out a little more until they are 2 years old, but they shouldn’t get any longer in length after 7 months(at least this was for Rusty).
Rusty is 13” long.

I thought the same with Rusty’s mom, she was so long, it’s hard to tell that she is very thin in the photo i attached the other day because of her laying down.
She was the longest Frenchie I have seen, and she has another Frenchie that looks almost just as long as Rusty’s mom.
His dad however, is the same as Rusty but he was 28lb and Rusty’s mom was 19 lb.
Rusty’s dad was red, his mom is his colour(I wanted this colour anyway), so weight wise and colour he is like his mom, length wise, he is like his dad and also compact.
I wanted a small Frenchie, thankfully he took after his mom for weight, and he isn’t 28 lb like his dad, Rusty is 22lb.

They are definitely hard to find sometimes and the waiting time is very long too sometimes.

Jelly definitely looks like a Frenchie though.

Jelly, stop growing in legnth and get a little more compact😊

Mavis

Reaction score
Going back thru photos of Rusty as a pup, he was at his full length @7-8months old.

They basically just fill out a little more until they are 2 years old, but they shouldn’t get any longer in length after 7 months(at least this was for Rusty).
Rusty is 13” long.

I thought the same with Rusty’s mom, she was so long, it’s hard to tell that she is very thin in the photo i attached the other day because of her laying down.
She was the longest Frenchie I have seen, and she has another Frenchie that looks almost just as long as Rusty’s mom.
His dad however, is the same as Rusty but he was 28lb and Rusty’s mom was 19 lb.
Rusty’s dad was red, his mom is his colour(I wanted this colour anyway), so weight wise and colour he is like his mom, length wise, he is like his dad and also compact.
I wanted a small Frenchie, thankfully he took after his mom for weight, and he isn’t 28 lb like his dad, Rusty is 22lb.

They are definitely hard to find sometimes and the waiting time is very long too sometimes.

Jelly definitely looks like a Frenchie though.

Jelly, stop growing in legnth and get a little more compact😊
God bless. I love Jelly but I wish he looked more like Rusty. Will get a measurement from collar to end of fanny. I figured by one year pretty much he would be into his primary body shape, other than maybe a half pound or so. His face, ears, tail, paws, etc., are definitely full frenchie.

Here is a picture of him today. I was on the computer on the bed with Petey sleeping beside me. I generally don't put Jelly on the bed unless John is up here with me because if Jelly hears John in another room or anything, he jumps down off the bed. It concerns me and I don't want to put him up continually only for him to get down. Anyway, I went to get up and I saw he had gone in Petey's crate to sleep. Mind you, he's got his own pimped out crate in the same room, but he just adores Petey (plus, I think the little stinker is "claiming" Petey's spot). He is the cutest, funniest little angel.

Attachments

• Jelly - 7-14-22.jpg
    Jelly - 7-14-22.jpg
    319.1 KB · Views: 6

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
God bless. I love Jelly but I wish he looked more like Rusty. Will get a measurement from collar to end of fanny. I figured by one year pretty much he would be into his primary body shape, other than maybe a half pound or so. His face, ears, tail, paws, etc., are definitely full frenchie.

Here is a picture of him today. I was on the computer on the bed with Petey sleeping beside me. I generally don't put Jelly on the bed unless John is up here with me because if Jelly hears John in another room or anything, he jumps down off the bed. It concerns me and I don't want to put him up continually only for him to get down. Anyway, I went to get up and I saw he had gone in Petey's crate to sleep. Mind you, he's got his own pimped out crate in the same room, but he just adores Petey (plus, I think the little stinker is "claiming" Petey's spot). He is the cutest, funniest little angel.
He definitely looks like a full Frenchie, just a little longer than the average.

That’s so cute!! I love it when they do that.

What Rusty knows he is going for a bath, he knows and when I take him upstairs to bath him, he runs into my moms office in the spare room where the other 2 dogs crates are(his is in my bedroom beside my bed, the other 2 crates are too big).
if I say Rusty are you having a bath today? And we go upstairs(I carry him), and he runs into 1 of the 2 other crates and goes to the back and rolls on his back thinking, I’m not coming out for a bath and you have to climb in here(which I actually have to go into the back of the crate to reach him).

He usually goes to the very back with the blanket but he pulled it all to the front to curl up in, such funny dogs.

Rusty never is on the bed unless he wants to lay down but I am watching and at the end the entire time.
He thinks he can fly sometimes I think, the other day he wanted to go up on the bed and see my mom, he rarely goes on the bed though, anyway he went to literally WALK off the side of the bed! He seriously could have gotten hurt, broke a leg or back by doing that if I didn’t catch him. That’s why he is rarely on the bed, I would love for him to sleep in my bed but I worry about little things like that, he is much safer in the pent house cozy crate(just like Petey’s I see 😊, spoiled dogs with the blankets and cozy beds!).
I can’t believe he has no fear though, especially to try to just walk off the bed☹️

These Frenchies sure have quite the personalities, they kind of like clowns my vet calls them(the vet that has Frenchies), which they sure are and want to be the center of attention.

And OMG he has done the funniest things lately, Rusty LOVES squeaky balls, they are his favourite! My dad says when we are out we will get him a pack of squeaky balls, Rusty heard that, then the next day my dad came home with a pack and pretended he didn’t have them, they were on the counter, Rusty sniffed them out, no one said anything. My dad fell asleep in his chair, Rusty goes up to him after sniffing around the counter and he starts screaming and barking at dad(we say grandpa for Rusty), and he finally got up and Rusty walked over to where the ballad are, how he woke dad up cause he knew.

He did the same thing when I was working the other day, screamed and barked at dad while he was sitting down, dad got up and Rusty ran to the cupboard😊 that’s funny.

Then he gets the ball and comes over and kicks it Under the couch and table and barks at me, it’s like a game to him, get the ball from under the couch!

I attached the photos of him
In the other dog crate and then what he does when he puts the ball under the couch, so funny!

1657865036628.jpeg
1657865958597.jpeg
1657865998972.jpeg
1657866080625.jpeg

Mavis

Reaction score
He definitely looks like a full Frenchie, just a little longer than the average.

That’s so cute!! I love it when they do that.

What Rusty knows he is going for a bath, he knows and when I take him upstairs to bath him, he runs into my moms office in the spare room where the other 2 dogs crates are(his is in my bedroom beside my bed, the other 2 crates are too big).
if I say Rusty are you having a bath today? And we go upstairs(I carry him), and he runs into 1 of the 2 other crates and goes to the back and rolls on his back thinking, I’m not coming out for a bath and you have to climb in here(which I actually have to go into the back of the crate to reach him).

He usually goes to the very back with the blanket but he pulled it all to the front to curl up in, such funny dogs.

Rusty never is on the bed unless he wants to lay down but I am watching and at the end the entire time.
He thinks he can fly sometimes I think, the other day he wanted to go up on the bed and see my mom, he rarely goes on the bed though, anyway he went to literally WALK off the side of the bed! He seriously could have gotten hurt, broke a leg or back by doing that if I didn’t catch him. That’s why he is rarely on the bed, I would love for him to sleep in my bed but I worry about little things like that, he is much safer in the pent house cozy crate(just like Petey’s I see 😊, spoiled dogs with the blankets and cozy beds!).
I can’t believe he has no fear though, especially to try to just walk off the bed☹️

These Frenchies sure have quite the personalities, they kind of like clowns my vet calls them(the vet that has Frenchies), which they sure are and want to be the center of attention.

And OMG he has done the funniest things lately, Rusty LOVES squeaky balls, they are his favourite! My dad says when we are out we will get him a pack of squeaky balls, Rusty heard that, then the next day my dad came home with a pack and pretended he didn’t have them, they were on the counter, Rusty sniffed them out, no one said anything. My dad fell asleep in his chair, Rusty goes up to him after sniffing around the counter and he starts screaming and barking at dad(we say grandpa for Rusty), and he finally got up and Rusty walked over to where the ballad are, how he woke dad up cause he knew.

He did the same thing when I was working the other day, screamed and barked at dad while he was sitting down, dad got up and Rusty ran to the cupboard😊 that’s funny.

Then he gets the ball and comes over and kicks it Under the couch and table and barks at me, it’s like a game to him, get the ball from under the couch!

I attached the photos of him
In the other dog crate and then what he does when he puts the ball under the couch, so funny!

View attachment 15948
View attachment 15949
View attachment 15950
View attachment 15951
OMG, what a beautiful angel - really. I love all of those stories. Rusty seems like he would be such a silent dog in the pictures, but it sounds like he knows what he wants and how to get it! I thought he LOVED taking a bath? 😭 😇 Doesn't it just crack you up when he retreats to his crate? I think Jelly has had only 2 or 3 baths, but he enjoys the warm water and especially being fussed over and toweled dry.

Rusty has beautiful, open nares. Did you have them done? If so, did he have palate surgery, too? I noticed recently that for the first time, Jelly is started to snore slightly. I think as he is growing, his nares may be closing and his soft palate getting thicker. That may be in our future, but I am a wreck about it. First, I hate to put him through anything as extensive as that, and also, I wish I knew of a vet who did a ton of these. I live in a pretty large city with a thousand vets, but I can't seem to find one who specializes in the breed.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
OMG, what a beautiful angel - really. I love all of those stories. Rusty seems like he would be such a silent dog in the pictures, but it sounds like he knows what he wants and how to get it! I thought he LOVED taking a bath? 😭 😇 Doesn't it just crack you up when he retreats to his crate? I think Jelly has had only 2 or 3 baths, but he enjoys the warm water and especially being fussed over and toweled dry.

Rusty has beautiful, open nares. Did you have them done? If so, did he have palate surgery, too? I noticed recently that for the first time, Jelly is started to snore slightly. I think as he is growing, his nares may be closing and his soft palate getting thicker. That may be in our future, but I am a wreck about it. First, I hate to put him through anything as extensive as that, and also, I wish I knew of a vet who did a ton of these. I live in a pretty large city with a thousand vets, but I can't seem to find one who specializes in the breed.

Rusty definitely is not a silent dog, even though he loves to cuddle, and be at my side and play, he barks a lot, which I’m trying to teach him to do less of, when he gets excited or nervous or scared of a person or other dog or he wants something he barks and he is very loud.

Same thing when he wants something he does that loud Frenchie scream! He is a vocal dog but very funny🙂

I really like the fact that they like their crates and also the other dogs crates, so cute.

Well I don’t know if he loves the baths, he gives me dirty looks And then avoids goi g upstairs, once he is in he is fine and sometimes I think he enjoys being in the bath but he hates any water so he really isn’t loving the baths however when he is done in the bath he races around and feels good and when I say “did you have a bath, are you handsome?” He climbs on me and plays and licks my face. So it’s kind of get it over with and to get him in the bath, sometimes he waits at the tub, but very unusual lol!

Yes Rusty had his soft palate surgery and nostrils opened more last November.
The surgery was one of the best things I did for him, if he gets neutered for example while he is under anesthesia, ask them to do his nares, and if his soft palate needs to be done, do it while he is out!

I wouldn’t say it’s a major surgery but if he needs nares done same with palate getting it done is a big relief then having to worry about him falling over and something happen like Rusty almost did.
but it’s a relief knowing they come out with a great airway and you wouldn’t have to worry about something happening to him because he can’t breathe properly.

If you get the surgery done after he is 2 years old then the palate won’t grow back because the dog is done growing.

Jelly is likly snoring more cause as he grows his nostrils close more and his palate grows with him. If his nostrils are closed it will put more work for his palate to do.

It’s a little more recovery time(no playing for 3 weeks, that’s what the vet said for Rusty and the palate is usually healed by 3 weeks). We noticed immediately his breathing was way better.
And for the first 3 weeks after surgery he needs soft food while the throat heals(he is on RR anyway so it’s soft food only and no kibble during that time-thankfully Jelly is already on good soft food😊👍)

I can’t highly recommend that surgery enough for the palate and the nares.

🆕 Latest posts