How do you work on recall?

eeturk

Reaction score
Hudson has been doing great with most of his training, and has even made huge strides with what seemed like the impossible (potty training). However, with this progress, he has decided to develop a new problem (of course).

He will not listen one bit when outside. Does not respond to his name, will not come, nothing. Today he even took off running!! Usually he is on a leash but I ran downstairs to take him to go potty and didn't stick his harness on and he took full advantage of the opportunity.

So my question is: what can I do to teach him that he has to listen? How do I get him to respond to his name or "come"? I've been trying to work with him and use positive reinforcements, but he just doesn't care at all! Please help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Ah, a Frenchie! :stinkeye: Best thing to try is a VERY high valued treat, if you haven't already -- something he ONLY gets when he responds to 'come'... find that one treat and he will associate it with this command and you would hopefully gain his listening to this command.

best of luck

lkclark

Reaction score
Ah, a Frenchie! :stinkeye: Best thing to try is a VERY high valued treat, if you haven't already -- something he ONLY gets when he responds to 'come'... find that one treat and he will associate it with this command and you would hopefully gain his listening to this command.

best of luck

Hmm...a strip of freshly-fried bacon? :)

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
I have had a couple sessions with an in home trainer to work on come and a couple other things. First, you have to have treat he is going to want. Jax likes any treat so that is not an issue for us. We first worked with him in the house, no leash, and he does excellent. Have someone in another room call him by name in an excited voice. Jax does well with this cause he knows there is a treat waiting for him. Last session, the trainer had us take him outside on a long leash. The trainer had him by her and we were to call him. You want him to come to you by saying come once, not multiple times. So we would say Jax, come. If he did not come (which he didn't), then we would reel him in towards us with the leash to teach him you need to come when we call you. Jax is going to need a lot of work with this cause when he is outside, he is in his own little world. The trainer basically said she did not recommend letting him outside with no leash until he starts coming after the first call. Good luck!

eeturk

Reaction score
Thanks guys! I used turkey today and worked with him indoors and he did really really well! Of course outdoors is the real problem here, so I'll have to work up to that. He has major selective hearing!

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I used turkey today and worked with him indoors and he did really really well! Of course outdoors is the real problem here, so I'll have to work up to that. He has major selective hearing!

Something you can do.... Buy a 30 ft training lead, place him on it and let him think he is 'free'.... Train for recall and if he doesn't respond you still have control and he can not take off

eeturk

Reaction score
Something you can do.... Buy a 30 ft training lead, place him on it and let him think he is 'free'.... Train for recall and if he doesn't respond you still have control and he can not take off

What a great idea! I will buy one on amazon now. I just hate to think of him not listening and something bad happening, especially since I'm not the runner (or chaser!) I once was after a few knee surgeries. Wanting to nip this one in the bud!

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
What a great idea! I will buy one on amazon now. I just hate to think of him not listening and something bad happening, especially since I'm not the runner (or chaser!) I once was after a few knee surgeries. Wanting to nip this one in the bud!

I thought of it driving home from the vet tonight and realized I totally forgot to tell you that.... Good luck. They come in many lengths... Get what will be best for you, I think I used a 25'

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
You have some great advise above, so I have nothing to add, just be consistent with the training.

TeresaW

Reaction score
We have the same issue. Luckily we have a fenced in backyard to practice in, but I still don't want to be chasing him everywhere. Randy wants to be able to run him out front real quick if it is raining or it's 2 in the morning. He definitely has no idea of his boundaries there and pays no attention to his name. I am ordering a training lead today. I have seen the 15 feet ones in the store, but really like the idea of the longer ones.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
He definitely has no idea of his boundaries there and pays no attention to his name. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

This seems to be a genetic trait of our lovely little buddies! Cheli is the same way

TeresaW

Reaction score
That trait, along with stealing things and walking/running by you with their head held high. Pierce now tries taking things through the doggie door!

eeturk

Reaction score
That trait, along with stealing things and walking/running by you with their head held high. Pierce now tries taking things through the doggie door!

We call Hudson the hoarder because of that tendency haha. He has spots he takes things. Never chews them, just wants to be around them. My boyfriend calls them his treasures and Hudson gets so excited when we talk about them haha.

His 30 ft lead arrived today, hopefully we can make some progress!