Itchy Ears

Nikki & Milo

Reaction score
Hi all
I am after some advice or suggestions on how to help my Frenchie. I have a 3 year old blue male french bulldog called Milo who has on and off issues with his ears. He over produces yeast and gets very itchy ears. We frequently clean them and have tried herbal drops to help break up the yeast but it keeps coming. He was on Royal Canin for Frechies which we stopped about 6 months ago and switched to Harringtons kibble and wet which we mix. He also has drops of natural salmon oil with his food. All of his treats are natural grain free. All grooming products are for sensitive skin. We have tried probiotics and some supplements from nutripaw. Neither helped.
I think the issue may be driven from internal factors rather than external, maybe gut health?
Is there anything you can suggest that will help my lovely boy?
Any help is much appreciated.

Nikki & Milo

Attachments

• 20230906_123313.jpg
    20230906_123313.jpg
    271.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230726_213840.jpg
    20230726_213840.jpg
    294.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230606_162334.jpg
    20230606_162334.jpg
    463.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20231125_222234.jpg
    20231125_222234.jpg
    844.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230719_201238.jpg
    20230719_201238.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Make sure the food does not have white potatoes in it, they can add to the yeast issue. Also, try to give a probiotic... refrigerated sauerkraut, kefir, raw goats milk.

Nikki & Milo

Reaction score
Thank you. I can see the food he is on at the moment does contain potato. Is there a food you could recommend we try?

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
In the meantime, you can try Zymox Otic which will help get rid of any yeast or infection if there is one. Then hopefully a switch of food will help with future issues.

Nikki & Milo

Reaction score
Thanks for your help. With the food would you
Look into Open Farm or Zingnature.... they have wide varieties that give you many great options
Is there any particular ingredient we should avoid apart from potato? Is grain free the best option?

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score

Is there any particular ingredient we should avoid apart from potato? Is grain free the best option?

I would avoid chicken.... grain free is a personal choice, @Cbrugs does feed the Open farm Ancient grains and her girl does very well on it

Nikki & Milo

Reaction score
Is delivery available for the UK? I have searched for some of the names recommended on here but they seem to be US only.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Is delivery available for the UK? I have searched for some of the names recommended on here but they seem to be US only.
Sorry.... didn't realize you were in the UK. Have you thought about raw... Oddles seems to be a good brand in the UK. The only other I know of is James Well beloved.

Nikki & Milo

Reaction score
Sorry.... didn't realize you were in the UK. Have you thought about raw... Oddles seems to be a good brand in the UK. The only other I know of is James Well beloved.
Great thank you. Also do you have any advice on treats? I let Milo have rawhide but I'm wondering if that's adding to his allergies. Although he doesn't really eat the rawhide just chews and leaves until we chuck it away.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Great thank you. Also do you have any advice on treats? I let Milo have rawhide but I'm wondering if that's adding to his allergies. Although he doesn't really eat the rawhide just chews and leaves until we chuck it away.
No rawhide.. it is not good for them at all, the process to make it is really so so bad.
Since you’re in UK, I’m not sure what is available to you. If you are on Instagram, go find bulldogPabs. He is in UK and always shows really good information on food/treats.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Definitely no rawhide! For treats, I like to give single ingredient freeze dried treats.

Loops1522

Reaction score
Good kibble if you dont want to feed raw, though best option in my opinion, Eden, Canagan, Ziwi Peak and Platinum. All easily available in UK and with subscription options

LillyRose

Reaction score
Hallo, this is my first time I have signed up to a forum & I am a first time dog owner.
I'm not even sure if I am writing my question in the right place. Sorry!!
My French bulldog 'Ziggy' is now two & if anyone could help me with his ear problem? What best to feed him etc etc. Very much appreciated. I am in the UK.
Thank you

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Hallo, this is my first time I have signed up to a forum & I am a first time dog owner.
I'm not even sure if I am writing my question in the right place. Sorry!!
My French bulldog 'Ziggy' is now two & if anyone could help me with his ear problem? What best to feed him etc etc. Very much appreciated. I am in the UK.
Thank you
Ear issues are usually yeast… clean with witch hazel on a cotton pad and do your best to avoid potatoes in the food. Unfortunately I don’t know many UK foods… if you’re open to raw, check into Oodles, they also make a kibble, I think

🆕 Latest posts