IVDD Grade 5 Surgery

Rufus

Reaction score
Hello Frenchie community
I am after some urgent advice. Our little boy Rufus is 3 years old and lost use of his hind legs on Sunday evening. We rushed to the RVC in Hatfield England and Monday morning he had an MRI scan and emergency surgery to remove a ruptured disc. He is now recovering but has no feeling in his hind legs or paws. He also has no control over his bowel and his urine is being exracted through a catheter. The vet has said if he doesn’t get any feeling back within 10 days it’s very unlikely he will. We are so worrried and are looking for any advice from owners who have experienced similar injury. Please any advice is very welcome.

Thanks and regards
Dean from London UK

Hello Frenchie community
I am after some urgent advice. Our little boy Rufus is 3 years old and lost use of his hind legs on Sunday evening. We rushed to the RVC in Hatfield England and Monday morning he had an MRI scan and emergency surgery to remove a ruptured disc. He is now recovering but has no feeling in his hind legs or paws. He also has no control over his bowel and his urine is being exracted through a catheter. The vet has said if he doesn’t get any feeling back within 10 days it’s very unlikely he will. We are so worrried and are looking for any advice from owners who have experienced similar injury. Please any advice is very welcome.

Thanks and regards
Dean from London UK

IVDD is a nasty, incurable disease. Jax has IVDD and has 3 cervical surgeries for herniated discs. He is still fully functional at this point but the chances for a reoccurrence will always be there.

Unfortunately, many dogs do become paralyzed and are unable to go the bathroom on their own. I know many people that have done acupuncture and laser therapy (Jax does them both) on their paralyzed dogs and they regained strength. Are you on Facebook? If so, I suggest you search and join French Bulldog IVDD Support. There are many people on there with paralyzed dogs and everyone is helpful and you can get some good tips and advice on living with a paralyzed dog.

I'm so sorry to hear this!! I do know a few Frenchies on IG that use wheelchairs to get around and use puppy diapers for accidents. They still live very full lives. Are you on IG? If not I suggest you join and then talk to Tobi's owners. His handle is @twowheeler_tobi. He's gone through a lot but he's a very happy boy. Good luck to you and Rufus!!

So very sorry to hear this is happening.... sending lots of positive thoughts.

As mentioned, many Frenchie live a full and happy life with the assistance of wheelchair and diapers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back