Learning the doggie door

Julie Stevenson

Reaction score
Well being true to the frenchie traits Mr. Oliver has been stubborn on using the doggie door. He will watch his brothers go in and out but refused to push the flap himself. Yesterday at 5AM he decided to go out potty with the hubby and then when he got back to the doggie door he sat in front of it and howled at the top of his lungs! LOL I was in bed laughing my *** off. Silly boy. So yesterday I read online on how to train your dog to use it. He is food motivated but I tried with his food before and he would not push it. Then I read to get a really strong smelling treat and use that. I remembered I had some cooked salmon in the frig, his FAVORITE!

Yup you guessed it. Took about 1 min to teach him to push through the flap! We did it like 15 times and then wa la Oliver uses the doggie door. LOL For anyone having issues with training something that is scary to your doggie try a strong smelling treat. Mine love salmon and I cook it a couple times a week. I don't eat leftover salmon as it never tastes the same so any leftovers go in the frig for doggie dinner. It's the only people food I will feed the boys as a treat.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Frenchies sure are silly! Jax is a perfect angel when treats are involved, he will sit, stay, come, leave it, drop it. But if there are no treats...not so much!

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
I love the HOWL part.... :rofl:

Cheli jumped right in once we installed it, had to show him once and he is a pro.

Julie Stevenson

Reaction score
I love the HOWL part.... :rofl:

Cheli jumped right in once we installed it, had to show him once and he is a pro.

He is so SPOILED. That boy knows as soon as he begins to howl mommy jumps up and goes and gets him. He scratches at the door, mommy jumps up and opens it for him. Don't get me wrong I'm glad he scratches at teh door when he needs to go out. Saves my carpets. He started the howling when he was just a baby. If he knows we are home and he's outside, he will howl. It's too funny.

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
Silly boy, but typical, follow the nose. LOL

Alice Kable

Reaction score
Buster started using our pet door right away, he had Ruggles to follow!

Jakeyjake

Reaction score
Stella is now 6 mos. old and still quite afraid of the doggie door. I have bribed her with food to come thru but have to hold the flap open. She will not push it on her own. Jake darts in and out and Stella is still hesitant. She is a fearful, anxious little girl, so we are just being patient and will keep trying.

TeresaW

Reaction score
Right now we are hoping Pierce does not follow Schatzi out the doggie door. We take him out, but want to keep an eye on him, even in the fenced in yard since he is so young. You can see that little mind of his realizing that the doggie door goes outside now. He just doesn't like the noise of the flap. Yesterday, Schatzi was outside on the porch and looked in. Pierce really was confused about seeing just half a dog through the door. If he figures it out too soon, we will just close it off for a couple of weeks and take Schatzi out ourselves.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD