Lethargic, No Appetite, Shivers.

dsm600rr

Reaction score
Hello all,

So my Frenchie Benny, who just turned two has had this issue happen twice. Today, and on April 19, 2017. Out of no where he will just seem depressed. He usually goes crazy when its walk time. When this is happening he just stairs. He has no appetite and seems weak. When I put him in the car to go to the vet he will start to shake. The last time this happened, the Vet had no answers. Everything came back normal. They tested for "CPL (Canine Pancreas-Specific Lipase)". They even x-rayed his tummy because it felt "Firm". He was a bit Dehydrated and got "Subcutaneous Fluid Therapy". After a few days, he was back to his old self.

This time it happened, I notice one thing. He had a green onion in his mouth that he got from god knows where. He wasn't eating it, just chewing. I though great, Poison in my dogs mouth. Once again, All Tests come back normal.

Some unique things he does.
- Licks a lot. Like everything. Walls, Doors, Me, his Paws.
- He Scoots, even days after having his anal glands expressed.
- He will sometimes just put his nose on an object. Like he is in time out.
- His Ears are back when he has this lethargic episode.

I did mention IVDD from what came up on a google search - they do not think that has anything to do with it.

Now I did think maybe anxiety? I have Anxiety so maybe i pass it down. One thing though, he is not scared of anything such as fireworks, thunder storms.

The ONLY Thing I can correlate between both times is that my Girlfriends parents were in town for the weekend, the both times this happened.

I will be picking him up from the Vet in about an hr - hopefully he is back to his old self in a day or two. They said he seems more chipper already.

Suggestions?

IMG_1964.jpg

Alice Kable

Reaction score
:smileywelcome: to you and Benny! He is very handsome!

Frenchies are sensitive critters and do pick up on their peoples' anxiety and a visit from my in-laws (now diseased) would cause me great anxiety.
Licking paws can be a sign of allergies; licking floors, etc can be a nervous habit.
Scooting and bouncing on his bum can indicate a tail pocket itch/infection. Most vets aren't familiar with tail pockets, you may need to find a Bulldog vet or a vet willing to learn how to clean them. Buster has a weird tail pocket, it has a hook. We schedule 6 month cleanings to make sure it doesn't get infected.
When Buster is excited he shakes, especially his hind quarters.
When Buster has something bothering him he doesn't eat.

Benny is awfully cute! :heart:

Last edited:

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree with Alice. I assume they did blood work to see if there was anything abnormal?

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
I'd start him on 1 tablespoon of canned pumpkin ( not the pie filling one ), or a high fibre dog food (8-10% fibre) to bulk up his stool to prevent anal gland problems. If he's getting dehydrated and not drinking enough water then add water to his kibble or switch him to a dehydrated raw like EasyRaw, Spot Farms or Honest Kitchen which you add water to and make a stew. If he has a tail pocket keep it clean and dry by wiping every day or two with a wipe with witch hazel on it and then drying after.

dsm600rr

Reaction score
All,

I thank you very much for all your replies. I did try pumpkin, I am not sure if it was the pie filling one or not. I did check the ingredients, and the only one was pumpkin. Next time I am at the grocery store, I will confirm this.

Some things to note from yesterday/this morning. When I picked him up from the vet, he was not any better. I did opt to get Rimadyl to help if he may be in any sort of physical pain.

Once I got home he just kinda wondered around, still lethargic. I gave him one Rimadyl as soon as i got home. About an hour later, a friend came over. Instantly, he was back to normal Benny. He literally jumped up, got his bone and looked very happy. He was chasing us around and biting our feet how normal Benny does. To say the least - I felt a bit relieved. He even ate and drank.

Fast forward to this morning I gave him a Rimadyl at 6am and left at 8am- Still not 100% Benny. Slow to go up or down the stairs, kinda lethargic, however not as bad as yesterday morning. This has me thinking maybe it was not the Rimadyl that got him back to normal Benny, but my friend showing up.

I have found a new Vet "Wilson Veterinary Hospital" which sees a lot of French Bulldogs and seems to be well respected in the Bulldog Word - So from here on out I will be taking him there.

I have attached photos of the Records from Both Visits.

Visit 1.jpg
Visit 2.jpg

dsm600rr

Reaction score
Side note - He has been on Fromm Food since day one - I usually switch up the flavors so he does not get bored.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Could he be depressed about anything? Did anything in the house change?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dsm600rr

Reaction score
Could he be depressed about anything? Did anything in the house change?

Literally nothing has changed. He still has his sister, a Pit Bull, myself and my girlfriend. How it has been since he was 8 weeks old. She just text me that he has not ate his breakfast yet. She let him out side and he just sat on the deck and shivered. I am not sure what to do. I can wait a few more days, and then take him to the new vet. At this rate, all the vet visits are going to drive me into poverty. He did eat a few treats before I left. After work I will grab a chicken breast and boil it and mix it with his food. He usually loves that.

Last time this happened back in April, randomly a few days later he was back to being Benny.

dsm600rr

Reaction score
Actually, I found this Recipe - He is getting spoiled tonight.
Doggie beef stew

For this yummy recipe, you’ll need the following ingredients:

1 lb beef stew meat
1 small potato
1 small sweet potato
½ cup carrots, chopped
½ cup water
½ cup white flour
1 tbsp canola or olive oil

How to actually prepare it: Remove the skin from the potato and sweet potato and cut them into chunks. Bake the pieces in the oven for 8 minutes or until almost done. Next, heat the oil in a frying pan and sauté the beef stew pieces until they are cooked. Remove the beef and add water and flour slowly into the pan.
Continue stirring until the gravy gets thick and then add the beef, carrots, and potatoes. Keep it on the fire for 10 more minutes and it’s done. Your four legged companion will definitely be satisfied!

dsm600rr

Reaction score
If he doesn't eat that, I will probably pass out.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Literally nothing has changed. He still has his sister, a Pit Bull, myself and my girlfriend. How it has been since he was 8 weeks old. She just text me that he has not ate his breakfast yet. She let him out side and he just sat on the deck and shivered. I am not sure what to do. I can wait a few more days, and then take him to the new vet. At this rate, all the vet visits are going to drive me into poverty. He did eat a few treats before I left. After work I will grab a chicken breast and boil it and mix it with his food. He usually loves that.

Last time this happened back in April, randomly a few days later he was back to being Benny.

So if he is trembling, that could be a sign of pain. I just went through this with Jax. He started trembling and I knew something was up. Took him to ER and they said he probably just exacerbated himself and prescribed Gabapentin and said put him on crate rest. A few days later the trembling got worse and took him to regular vet. Regular vet knew something was up, prescribed a couple more meds to see if they would help and said if he wasn't better by Monday, bring him back. Two days later things were really bad and back at the ER. He stayed 4 days and they had to do an MRI and they found a herniated disc in his neck and he needed surgery.

dsm600rr

Reaction score
So if he is trembling, that could be a sign of pain. I just went through this with Jax. He started trembling and I knew something was up. Took him to ER and they said he probably just exacerbated himself and prescribed Gabapentin and said put him on crate rest. A few days later the trembling got worse and took him to regular vet. Regular vet knew something was up, prescribed a couple more meds to see if they would help and said if he wasn't better by Monday, bring him back. Two days later things were really bad and back at the ER. He stayed 4 days and they had to do an MRI and they found a herniated disc in his neck and he needed surgery.

That sounds Pricey. How is he doing now? I do have AKC Insurance on him.

I guess what confuses me is that when my friend come over - All symptoms went away. As soon as he arrived, Benny Jumped up and grabbed his favorite bone. He ran around the house chasing up. He went for a walk. He ate dinner and drank.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
That sounds Pricey. How is he doing now? I do have AKC Insurance on him.

I guess what confuses me is that when my friend come over - All symptoms went away. As soon as he arrived, Benny Jumped up and grabbed his favorite bone. He ran around the house chasing up. He went for a walk. He ate dinner and drank.

It was pricey! After all was said and done spent almost $9,000. But I have pet insurance and got reimbursed 90%. Without the surgery, there was potentially a chance of it getting worse. Some can be minor cases and treated conservatively with crate rest and medication.

Jax acted normal at first as well, just a couple of trembling episodes but then it progressed fairly quickly.

I'm not saying this is what is happening with your guy, just wanted you to be aware. Maybe you can try crating him or confining him to a small space for a few days?

dsm600rr

Reaction score
It was pricey! After all was said and done spent almost $9,000. But I have pet insurance and got reimbursed 90%. Without the surgery, there was potentially a chance of it getting worse. Some can be minor cases and treated conservatively with crate rest and medication.

Jax acted normal at first as well, just a couple of trembling episodes but then it progressed fairly quickly.

I'm not saying this is what is happening with your guy, just wanted you to be aware. Maybe you can try crating him or confining him to a small space for a few days?

How was he after the surgery? I thank you for your input.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
How was he after the surgery? I thank you for your input.

He has to be on crate rest for 6 weeks post surgery and that literally just ended. He's acting like he's good as new and nothing ever happened. We do have to minimize his jumping on/off the couches and his stair use to help avoid a future recurrence.

If it were me, I'd take your guy at least to the bulldog vet you found to be looked at. Frenchies are more susceptible to spine injuries so a bulldog vet should know what to look for. To me, it's better to be safe than sorry.

dsm600rr

Reaction score
I was going to give him a day or two and if not improved I will take him in.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
I was going to give him a day or two and if not improved I will take him in.

Is there anything emotionally going on in the house... is his sister well or seeming sick? Any other stresses going on?

it is odd how he perked right up when your friend arrived, but goes lethargic and doesn't eat when it is just his family...

dsm600rr

Reaction score
Is there anything emotionally going on in the house... is his sister well or seeming sick? Any other stresses going on?

it is odd how he perked right up when your friend arrived, but goes lethargic and doesn't eat when it is just his family...

Nothing has changed in his environment. His sister is happy as can be.

I took him to Wilson's Veterinary Hospital Yesterday Morning. The Doctor was feeling around his spine and said he twitched just a tiny bit in his lower back. They did an X-ray and said they see a bit of a Narrowed Vertebrae. They gave him an Anti Nausea Shot that also acts as a pain killer and I took him home. I made him Chicken and Rice and he ate both Breakfast (By this time it was already almost 2p) as well as dinner at 8:30p. The doctor told me to continue giving him Rimadyl and it should get better on its own once the inflammation goes down.

I am already pretty certain what caused the issue. He loves to play fetch with his ball, jumping on and off the bed many times. No more of this! - Stupid me. I did not even think anything of it at the time.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Nothing has changed in his environment. His sister is happy as can be.

I took him to Wilson's Veterinary Hospital Yesterday Morning. The Doctor was feeling around his spine and said he twitched just a tiny bit in his lower back. They did an X-ray and said they see a bit of a Narrowed Vertebrae. They gave him an Anti Nausea Shot that also acts as a pain killer and I took him home. I made him Chicken and Rice and he ate both Breakfast (By this time it was already almost 2p) as well as dinner at 8:30p. The doctor told me to continue giving him Rimadyl and it should get better on its own once the inflammation goes down.

I am already pretty certain what caused the issue. He loves to play fetch with his ball, jumping on and off the bed many times. No more of this! - Stupid me. I did not even think anything of it at the time.

I have a Frenchie with vertebrae issues... we give him Movoflex once a day and he gets a laser session once a month--- makes a huge difference

dsm600rr

Reaction score
I have a Frenchie with vertebrae issues... we give him Movoflex once a day and he gets a laser session once a month--- makes a huge difference

Thank you - I will run this by the Doctor and see if she recommends. Just curious - what does the laser session do?