Open Farm Kibble

LAG1

Reaction score
Good Morning!
Gus is 6 months and is energetic but well behaved, smart and very happy but poops 6-7 times a day…. Tinge of bright red blood at end of pooping occasionally.
We switched from breeders Victor to Open Farm Puppy (chicken w ancient grain). Everything was great re excessive shedding and itching but the pooping continued. The vet switched him to Natural Balance lamb and rice. After 3 days transitioning, he started to smell yeasty/sour, shed, scratch, watery eyes and red rash in groin area and armpits. Immediately discontinued the NB and that all stopped but pooping issue continues.
He has been stool tested for giardia and parasites….all neg. The vet mentioned I maybe try Royal Canin, Purina and science diet limited ingredient foods all w grain but I have read many negative things from Frenchie owners re these. .

I know the Open Farm has been really good for many Frenchies with digestive/pooping issues and would like to try Open Farm Grain Free Grass Fed Beef to see if it could be the grain and the chicken causing the prob.

Has anyone experienced this and if so, am I on The right track? Opinions/advice?

Thank you!!

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
I feed Open Farm with Ancient Grains to 2 of my dogs with no issues at all. At 6 months old, you do not need to feed a puppy specific food. In fact, I have never fed a puppy specific food.

I personally would not feed any of the brands recommended by your vet as they are not the best quality or ingredients.

If you want to try Open Farm again, try a different protein. Some dogs don't do well with chicken or beef so maybe try the turkey. Also, if you are not already doing so, you can add in a probiotic to help with gut issues.

LAG1

Reaction score
Thank you!!! Very much!! I will. And…. I do like you can switch proteins easily with an open farm. What probiotic do you use? The one the vet gave us was not making a difference. I cant remember the exact name but it’s very common at vets office. Purina brand daily packets.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you!!! Very much!! I will. And…. I do like you can switch proteins easily with an open farm. What probiotic do you use? The one the vet gave us was not making a difference. I cant remember the exact name but it’s very common at vets office. Purina brand daily packets.
I always switch proteins after I’ve finished a bag and just rotate through them. I have recently started to also give Stella’s Essentials for breakfast as they have a duck flavor and so more variety.

Probably the Forti-Flora packets which really don’t have a good amount of strains of the healthy bacteria needed in a probiotic. I’ve given the girls Bernie’s Perfect Poop with success but I’m just recently trying out some products from Adored Beast which has a good reputation. My boys are fed raw so for them I rotate with raw goat’s milk, fermented fish stock and fermented sauerkraut. I know there are some other probiotic brands out there as well.

LAG1

Reaction score
Yes!! Forti Flora… that’s the name.
Going to try Bernie’s. Cant hurt. I really appreciate all of your help. This is our first Frenchie❤️…. We always have had Boxers (who come with their own issues) and I got lucky … didn’t have many issues at all.
Just want to get Gus on track early hopefully by changing and finding the right food I can do that.
Thanks again!! 🤗

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to FBN... Citty as you covered :)

🆕 Latest posts