Puppy screams when sleeping

Lilly011

Reaction score
Hi all, I have a little frenchie, she is 6months old and her name is Lilly, I have had her from 14 weeks old, we meet the sellers and both patents of Lilly, she is amazing and always puts a smile on my face, great with toilet training always happy and playful, and generally an amazing loving puppy, over the last 4 weeks Lilly during her sleep had started making almost screaming noises, only lasts a second or 2 and I don't even think she knows she is doing it, the first few times I put it down to dreaming as she doesn't really wake or even move, but on one ocassion she was flat out snoring away and so was we when she started screaming again but this time went on for what felt like a minute, I picked her up and cuddled but it carried on for a few seconds, I still don't think she really knew she was doing it, it has worried me and I don't like the thought of her being in distress, she just seems like it's all in her sleep, I've had a look on the net and seizures seem to come up a lot but there is no violent shaking or rigid body with Lilly, it just seems it's all in her sleep? I don't know if I should be worried as she still plays with me and our other dogs, and is happy, I just wanted to know if any body else has had anything like this it if I need to be worried :( the first 3 months we had her there was none of this, just peaceful sleeping

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Can you get a quick video next time it happens ? It sounds like it could be dreams but I'd like to hear/see it if you can get it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alice Kable

Reaction score
Buster makes noises (little yips) when he is sleeping and his paws move like he is running. He is busy playing in his dreams. i think that is what is going on!

:smileywelcome: to FBN!

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
Pups do sometimes make noises when they sleep. Hopefully he will grow out of it.

WeeDex

Reaction score
Dexter does some crazy stuff in his sleep! Especially if he's really tired out. He howls like a wolf, makes the strangest noises, sleeps with his eyes wide open and tongue out, twitches, runs - he does the works! The first time I got a fright, as I thought there was something wrong. But now its pretty much normal!

I did discuss it once with the vet when I was in about something else, and he said not to wake him as it can give them a huge fright if they're sound asleep, but just to keep an eye on him and he'd settle. Which he does. :)

Mavis

Reaction score
I think this is a case of Lilly chasing squirrels or playing with her littermates in her sleep. I love it when Bambi dreams because I think she is in REM sleep, a very deep sleep. I love the noises that come out of them. First time we heard Bambi yowl, we thought she was dying!