Puppy starter supplies

smyers70

Reaction score
Hello everyone-

I will soon (about 2 1/2 weeks) be welcoming home our adorable Kevin Margaret. I am looking for a list of things I NEED to have ready to welcome her home.

So far I have:

Crate
Ex-pen for around the crate
small blankets for the crate
Kong chew toy - looking for suggestions on best chew toys to keep her occupied
food & water bowls
harness

I know I need grooming products and am looking for suggestions on everyone's favorites - thanks in advance :)

Alice Kable

Reaction score
Our boys love Nylabones to chew on. We get the large/extra large size and they manage just fine.We also got him a Hard Core Fire Hose chew toy that lasted fine when he was a baby, but by the time he was 4 or 5 months old he would destroy them in less than an hour.
We used potty pads to train Buster because we got him in the cold of winter and he hated going outside when it was so cold.
We got him some hoodies to wear, especially at night, because he slept alone in a crate (next to his older brother, also in a crate).

Congratulations. Your baby is adorable!

smyers70

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. We are so excited to bring her home.

Tgirl

Reaction score
Sounds like you pretty much have everything. Congrats on the new addition. I can't imagine how excited you must be.

Squishy Walnuts

Reaction score
I second the idea of getting some Nylabones. Both my dogs love chewing on them and they saved me during the teething stage with Wally.

I don't have any grooming stuff except some natural shampoo and I just bought a shedding brush for Wally as his white hairs have gotten out of control.

smyers70

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I have purchased a Kong Zoom Groom as I've read they work really well.

I will get some Nylabones as well. I want to set her up for success :)

Any suggestions on something to put on the floor under her ex-pen? We have older hardwood floors and I want them to be protected from accidents.

blushy

Reaction score
I have a kong zoom groom and both of the petsmarts near me use them. I love it lol.

Jakeyjake

Reaction score
To protect your floors, you could try the pee pee pads. I didn't really use them all that much as mine were more interested in destroying them.

Squishy Walnuts

Reaction score
I would use pee pads to help protect your floors. I had Wally in the kitchen on the tile so I wasn't overly concerned and I just used newspaper.

MickieBlue

Reaction score
Zuke's training treats got us through the potty training. They are already tiny, so you don't have to worry about breaking them down. Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eeturk

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I have purchased a Kong Zoom Groom as I've read they work really well.

I will get some Nylabones as well. I want to set her up for success :)

Any suggestions on something to put on the floor under her ex-pen? We have older hardwood floors and I want them to be protected from accidents.

We bought plastic sheeting at Home Depot (like plastic drop cloths for painters) and put them over the carpet. They worked great and were easy to swap out if they got gross.

My guy won't give a nylabone the time of day. He loves antlers (the split ones), water buffalo horns, and raw marrow bones. They're great for the teething stage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
We use the Nylabones too, just not the edible ones. We also use the Kong Zoom Groom and it works great.

๐Ÿ†• Latest posts