Teaching a Frenchie to be home alone, questions!

Ptmac415

Reaction score
Hey guys!

So I'm still on my search for a Frenchie, especially at this point because I'm not sure if I should get a puppy or a retired adult if I can find one. Something I'm unsure about is teaching it to be home alone with confidence and not bark/wail the whole time I'm away, especially since I currently have neighbors. Don't worry, I'm not planning on right away leaving it for an 8 hour day or anything, but what exactly is a good schedule for doing this well?

A few questions I have:
-When is the first time you can leave it home alone for a short period of time? For example, I like to run every day, and on average I'm out on my run for around 40-45 minutes. Would I be able to do that on the 2nd day a puppy is home or would that completely mess up his training?

-I did the above and he cries/barks while I'm away, is that something that's okay and would naturally stop the more I do it, or does that mean I should start from the ground up again? As a single owner, it's tough to commit a week of not leaving my house haha. I've read that it's normal/fine when puppies cry and whine while you leave them alone, and it gradually stops in time because they gradually learn. Is that true?

-If it isn't totally crate trained, do you leave it in an ex pen or try the crate anyway? And if it is crate trained, should you leave it in there while you're out for an hour or so at the risk of it possibly going bezerk in there?

-If I found one a bit older, like a 1-4 years to adopt, but it had never really been left home alone before, would it be way too late to teach it/would it have a harder time learning to be alone with confidence?

There are a lot of guides to this out there, but it can get so overwhelming because a lot of them are over a 2 week period, and it's almost impossible to be a single dog parent and not leave your house for the first week. Basically, I'm scared I'm going to do something wrong and get it past a point of no return!

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
it takes time for them to adjust, but the two week period is from start to finish, not meaning stay home the whole first week. leave for small periods of time... like 3-5 mins, and stretch it over the day. Place a t-shirt (dirty, with your scent on it) to help them kow you are with them.

crate training - always use the crate and teach them that it is a safe space for them like their den.

Frenchies can be very stubborn so you have to be patient and unerstand it will take time. My guy was 8 months old when we brought him home, it was two full years to get him fully potty trained, yeah, it was fun.

FroxerMom

Reaction score
You can practice crate training by "leaving" for a few minutes at a time and gradually increasing as the dogs' comfort level increases. First, just go around the corner where the dog can't see you, and the second the dog stops whining or barking, you reenter the room and offer lots of praise, let the dog out of the crate, and offer a treat. Practice this several times per day and gradually stay around the corner longer and longer. Unless the dog has an extreme case of separation anxiety, he should learn quickly, that he is supposed to go into his crate, quiet down and wait for you. Making the crate a pleasant place to be with a comfy bed, some safe chew toys, and like [MENTION=2]2bullymama[/MENTION] suggested, a piece of clothing that smells like you will go a long way in creating a desirable place to be confined for periods of time. It is absolutely critical to never use the crate as a punishment for "time out" because the connotation will cease to be a positive one for the dog.

Whether your dog has separation anxiety or not (I know you don't have him yet), it is always a great idea to vary the times you leave, and not give off blatant signals you are about to go. For example, if you always put on your shoes and coat, then grab your keys and bag, your dog is going to learn that those cues equal your imminent departure. This might not bother some dogs, but other dogs will become anxious knowing you are about to leave and get all wound up. I recommend mixing it up - sometimes practice by picking up your keys, or putting on your shoes or coat but DON'T leave the house.

Being dedicated and working hard for the first couple weeks after bringing home a dog will go a LOOOOONG way. It may seem exhausting at first but will be so worth it if you do it "right" the first time :)

I hope you get your dog soon!

🆕 Latest posts