Reverse progress?

Pope

Reaction score
When we first brought Pope home, he did so well in his crate! Slept quietly through the night. Now, seemingly out of nowhere he has begun whining and barking. It's strange because he probably gets more exercise now than he did before and seems pretty tired right before we put him in. He goes potty before going to bed, so that shouldn't be the issue. What's going on?!

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Sometmes they just revert back to the behavior, continue to reinforce or.... given in like I did and let him sleep with you :)

karla215

Reaction score
Could it be separation anxiety? My bulldog did something similar, barking in the middle of the night after having been fine in his kennel for a long time.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Sometmes they just revert back to the behavior, continue to reinforce or.... given in like I did and let him sleep with you :)

Jax slept in the kitchen for only 2 1/2 months and has been sleeping with us since last September. And he wasn't even crying or barking, I just wanted him in the bed with me!

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Jax slept in the kitchen for only 2 1/2 months and has been sleeping with us since last September. And he wasn't even crying or barking, I just wanted him in the bed with me!

They are too darn adorable not to let them shuggle with you!! :)

lkclark

Reaction score
Maybe it's just separation anxiety after having bonded with you :)

Alice Kable

Reaction score
The little Pope must be lonesome! We have 2 dogs and Buster doesn't expect to sleep with me!

CremedeLou

Reaction score
My boy is crate trained too and the only time he would cry is to go potty. Maybe let him out to go potty but back in his crate right away. I also cover the crate at night with a big towel so he knows he's there for the duration of the night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
It just takes time. Sometimes they do revert back a little but keep up the schedule and eventually he will get it.

Pope

Reaction score

I wish he could sleep with us! That was my husbands one request- no dog in the bed :( but if he changes his mind... did you wait until he was potty trained? I would be worried about him going potty during the night, or trying to play.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
[MENTION=669]Pope[/MENTION] when we got Jax we swore he wasn't allowed on the couches or to sleep with us and that did not last long at all. We did wait until he was potty trained.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
I wish he could sleep with us! That was my husbands one request- no dog in the bed :( but if he changes his mind... did you wait until he was potty trained? I would be worried about him going potty during the night, or trying to play.

yes, after potty trained for sure... my b/f also said no pups in beds :rofl: I think he caved before me

TeresaW

Reaction score
We put Pierce in with us from the beginning. He does go in to his crate when we are out of the house. We did this when we got our dachshund and it worked out great. It has worked with Pierce, too. If he wakes up during the night, we always know. Usually he will start licking one of us, or nibbling on my hair. The first week, he would wake up a couple of times. Last week it was once, usually around 3:30 or 4. The last two nights he has slept until 5:30. He may want to play a little when he goes back to bed, but it just make sure he has something to chew on and he goes back to sleep within a few minutes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Jakeyjake

Reaction score
Jake was crate trained and slept quietly until he was about 9 months. Then one night I just put him in bed with us where he has been sleeping ever since. I love it. Jake is a very laid-back boy who is super sweet and never aggressive, so sleeping with us has not been a problem, except when the snoring gets too loud:)