Shock collar

kkatebasilio

Reaction score
So stitch used to be a loving dog lol but lately he's bad, on my understanding he's trying to be overly protective or just being a brat, I moved out of my parents house 8months ago and moved into a high rise, is he trying to claim the entire building because Every time he sees a dog he gets aggressive as well as people passing by, and when I try to stop him he will snap on me. He is perfectly fine at the park with other dogs and people cause he's not on a leash yes he's very bad on a leash. He also gets aggressive when somebody doesn't play with him. So my solution is to get a shock collar,
c8fb3a8b9df84e50baeb9918cf54e70e.jpg
anyone here used it? And did it work? I am tired of him of thinking he owns the world. Thank you so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Have you tried a professional trainer or any kind of obedience school? If not, that might be a good place to start. I'm against shock collars but that's just my own personal opinion. There is also a good article on the forum somewhere called Nothing in Life is Free which has some good techniques you can try. He needs to know you are alpha, not him.

Jakeyjake

Reaction score
I don't agree with shock collars, but I do agree with obedience training and the Nothing in Life is Free philosophy. Have you done any training with him? If not, that would be my recommendation. He needs to view you as a leader.

kkatebasilio

Reaction score
Yes he is neutered.
I don't agree with shock collars too but it's my last resort, getting him trained will require a shock collar I think because he really lunges at people, and I think if I'm going to get him a trainer they need to do it where there's a lot of people because there would be no point if they do it at home you know? :/

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
I used one for many years with my bulldog, but it was only after almost a full year of other training--- Banks was extremely dominate and was not good with other dogs-- it was here world and others were not allowed in it. You baby sounds like he is owning you and being the leader.... A trainer is a great start with sessions in the hall, lobby, elevator, wherever he is currently acting out. If that doesn't help... Then a collar might be your answer.

Alice Kable

Reaction score
I used one for many years with my bulldog, but it was only after almost a full year of other training--- Banks was extremely dominate and was not good with other dogs-- it was here world and others were not allowed in it. You baby sounds like he is owning you and being the leader.... A trainer is a great start with sessions in the hall, lobby, elevator, wherever he is currently acting out. If that doesn't help... Then a collar might be your answer.

I agree, training first, then see if the collar is needed.

French Bulldog Buzz

Reaction score
Hi there I can understand your pain,

When ever we go to train a PERSON and their dog the shock collar is the last resort...First we try to figure out what is going inside you and see how the dog behaves around you an other dogs etc... I know of many dog who are on the leash a Devil but once of leash the are like Cup Cakes...Try to find first a VERY good dog Psychologist, and see what his evaluation is etc..

Yes I used already many times a Shock Collar on some Frenchies as the last resort, and it always worked. But let me tell you one thing that many people are getting cofused. They think after the shock collar it all will be good. This is exactly the time where you continue the training with your dog otherwise it is useless...

People just here the word Shock collar and they see black, but we should remember it ''When applied correctly, it is a great tool''

Tgirl

Reaction score
Sounds like he thinks he is in charge. Maybe he thinks he needs to protect you. I would definitely get with a trainer. It's not fair to him to use the shock collar without the benefit of proper training first. Good luck and keep us updated.

kkatebasilio

Reaction score
I'm thinking about the trainer but I have a feeling the trainer will suggest a shock collar while training him, he's very stubborn

French Bulldog Buzz

Reaction score
I'm thinking about the trainer but I have a feeling the trainer will suggest a shock collar while training him, he's very stubborn

Sorry and I don't want to be rude!! But don't feel about it ''That the trainer will use a Shock Collar!!!' If he is a good trainer this would be his last solution, if he suggest it to you direct from the beginning...Than you better do not continue...

kkatebasilio

Reaction score
Sorry and I don't want to be rude!! But don't feel about it ''That the trainer will use a Shock Collar!!!' If he is a good trainer this would be his last solution, if he suggest it to you direct from the beginning...Than you better do not continue...

Thanks for the heads up! Like you I want what's best for the pup lol

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi there I can understand your pain,

When ever we go to train a PERSON and their dog the shock collar is the last resort...First we try to figure out what is going inside you and see how the dog behaves around you an other dogs etc... I know of many dog who are on the leash a Devil but once of leash the are like Cup Cakes...Try to find first a VERY good dog Psychologist, and see what his evaluation is etc..

Yes I used already many times a Shock Collar on some Frenchies as the last resort, and it always worked. But let me tell you one thing that many people are getting cofused. They think after the shock collar it all will be good. This is exactly the time where you continue the training with your dog otherwise it is useless...

People just here the word Shock collar and they see black, but we should remember it ''When applied correctly, it is a great tool''

AGREED! When we used it with Banks.... it never really goes away, she just knew she had to stay inline when it was on her. Banks lived to be 9 yrs old and she was a 9 yr training session, we were never able to not keep her in training (or us) as she would take advantage if the opening was there

Chiana

Reaction score
I'm personally against shock collar or any other physical method of correction. In case the trainer you contact initially suggest to start with shock collar, I would personally just hang up and find another trainer.
He is trying to be the alpha and the leader of your pack. However, it is a really good indication that he is behaving like that only around your house, but in good behaviour everywhere else. So in other words, he is trying to protect his closest territory and you. That can be fixed by basic training.

Also pay attention to how you react and feel when encountering these issues around your place. Dogs can pick up any insecurities, if you feel nervous when people are passing. He will then initiate his pack leader role and take charge.

Do you have a friend or a friendly neighbour with whom you could practise around your building? If so, try practise walk-by's so that you do not pull the leash back. First when you see a person approaching. Stop and re-direct him to look at you, give him treats etc. Make him understand that there is nothing to be afraid of.
Step between him and the passer-by. Block him from launching with your body and prevent him getting eye contact to the person passing by.

I'm sure that with practise and consistency he will overcome this behaviour.

Schimpfy

Reaction score
Yes he is neutered.
I don't agree with shock collars too but it's my last resort, getting him trained will require a shock collar I think because he really lunges at people, and I think if I'm going to get him a trainer they need to do it where there's a lot of people because there would be no point if they do it at home you know? :/

I was really worried with my boy afraid he might bite someone and i could loose him and other issues but bought a soft muzzle made for short nosed breeds. Instantly tells him who is Alpha can breathe fine and even drink just not bite. I would try this before shock could loose any chance at bonding with your dog. Hope you find what works - good luck

Reaction score
I just took our 4+ year old female to a trainer today. Had a flat collar and a harness. Despite being a show dog we have discovered she has no social skills. Neither the harness or the flat collar work so we are going to try a Martingale while she is training and aggressive towards other dogs. She even bit the trainers dog from behind today. The first part of training will be controlled pack walks. A frenchie muzzle is also not out of the question if she refuses to bend and continues to attack other dogs. The goal is to keep her and other dogs safe. Her behaviour today was completely unacceptable so we will work with the trainer to see if she will make progress.